View Single Post
Old 2010-01-18, 4:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
Do any of you actually use the nylon colored backgrounds the cubes come with? I find they have so many wrinkles they're not worth the bother. It's easier to just get some cardboard from the scrapbooking section of the craft store.
I use them sometimes. I also buy a nylon that is closer to what comes on umbrellas, softboxes and light tents, Sport Nylon. It's a bit thicker than rip-stop nylon and doesn't have all those little zig-zag stiches that you can see in rip-stop. I buyit in different colors although white and black are what I use the most. It's also good for making light panels using PVC tubes.

To get the wrinkles and creases out, I get it wet (it doesn't really get wet since it doesn't absorb water) and throw it into the dryer for about 5 minutes or so. When I take it out I give it a good shake and as long as I don't wad or fold it up, there aren't any wrinkles. You can buy Sport Nylon at JoAnn's (it's by the rip-stop nylon) or buy it from a place like Seattle Frabric's. I made 2 6'x4' light panels out of it and PVC pipe and used that for a long time rather than a light tent. I paid $35 for all the materials I used, but I could have bought less and still had stuff left over like I did.

Mike