View Single Post
Old 2015-11-20, 5:33pm

Hi everyone. I finally took some time off work today and ran to the welding shop. Got everything I needed including the tank for around $200. Kind-of terrifying for me because I've never run propane, but I was successful in hooking it all up. Yea!!

Now, I've only spent about 2 hours on the propane setup, but here are my first impressions.

1. Scared the crap out of myself when I first lit the torch. I must have had the gas coming out full blast LOL.

2. Scared the crap out of myself when I couldn't get the torch to light at all LOL!

3. Finally figured out how to set the pressure to 10 lbs

4. After 10 years of torching on NG, I can now say that I NEVER saw the "candles" on an NG flame. What I mean, is that on propane, you can see a blue flame AND a yellow flame. No such thing on NG. Only blue flame.

5. There is a HUGE difference in gas pressure. The knobs on my Scorpion are much more sensitive. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I kept scaring myself every time I adjusted the flame.

6. Once I got settled in on a nice flame and started melting, I was impressed with the ease I was able to melt boro. I don't understand how the flame temperature itself can only be about 10 degrees different, but the BTU's 2.5 times hotter with propane.

7. I only had time to make 2 or 3 pieces, but I was sure to make a pendant with carmel and Loki Lipstick. I was impressed that FINALLY some of my colors looked like Mary's

Unfortunately, I won't have time really to play with the new setup this weekend and I need to do some rearranging with the hoses to make things totally safe, but I'm really excited to do more experimenting.

On a side note, I have an old Beta sitting on the shelf. I loved that torch (but of course wanted more power) so I never sold it. I've also got extra concentrators. Hmmmm, now I'm wondering if I want to hook up that old beta to the NG on one of the other sides of my huge workbench??? (we're just never happy huh?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Scorpion with 2 Regalia's on NG