View Single Post
Old 2009-12-31, 12:23pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by absinthestudio View Post
What about being outside (basically, I'm in a screened in porch) when torching, is that good enuf to not need exhaust fan? I have a fan beside me that blows on me and the flame area. Scared now after reading this !

Wish I had a good answer. As Juliet points out, it's important to have a good collector (like a hood) coupled with a good fan to most efficiently suck the fumes away from your face. Working outside, the air currents around you aren't controlled and can blow fumes back in your face. You're helping to overcome that problem with the fan you are using. Aside from that, you may still be breathing some of the fumes and be exposed to some of the heavy metals from the glass. Hard to say with an outdoor set up. May sound silly, but if it were me working outside, I might be inclined to set up a hood and fan, anyway, as if I were indoors, and run a short length of vent ducting to ensure that the fumes get pushed well away from me. Having a fan behind/to the side might still be a good idea. To first order, working outside has to be better than indoors because it eliminates the risk of fumes collecting. Beyond that, I'd love to hear what others think about making an outside set-up as safe as possible.

Juliet - I'm glad your heavy metals tests came back normal. It would have been tough to have had that concern on top of your other challenges.

Linda