View Single Post
Old 2007-05-24, 12:20pm
What, Me Worry?

A one-gas torch functions at 60-90 psig. I think the confusion surrounding the HH is that is can operate at unregulated tank pressure greater than 90 psig. Similarly, the confusion that it is a MAPP torch, when it can be used with MAPP fuel... some one-gas torches cannot be used with MAPP... the HH can... but it can also be used with propane, etc..

When we read that a torch can be operated at full tank pressure, or that it can be used with MAPP, somehow this gets turned around into it cannot be used with a regulator, or it cannot be used with propane successfully.

There is a device within the one-gas torch itself (not the fuel valve) which acts as a pressure reducer... in fact, no one has ever had actual tank pressure coming through the one-gas torch oriface -- it is internally restricted to, I think less than 125 psig (the actual number could be a trade secret, or a liablity issue -- because the manufacturer flat out refused to tell me -- but it is reverse engineerable).

The regulator being used by the poster is probably the standard 'roof tarring, grass burner' adjustable propane regulator which nominally supplies 0-75 psig to a one-gas torch. Grass burner regulators are readily available from a full service propane store -- not a welding shop. They are extensively used in Europe with one-gas torches.

The most likely reason those regulators are not very public is that the HH was designed for low cost acquisition and use. Adding a regulator adds to the cost. HH users will add a hose for bulk fuel... but, IMO, primarily because they see bulk fuel as less expensive. However, adding a regulator does not reduce the operating expensive, so it is much less likely to purchased... especially if the torch can operate without one... as an estimated 40,000+ have/do.

As far as the regulator adding safety... what makes it 'safer'? Is it that the hose is now being stressed at only 60-75 psig, versus the potential 200+ psig full tank pressure? If so, then it's relatively safer. Often the grass burner regulators come with a special tank connector, that if the hose or regulator ruptures will automatiaclly stop gas flow and also acts as a backflow arrestor, all in one. That device is never seen on off-the-shelf two-gas torch regulators.

Overall, a one-gas torch will operate very succesfully with a special 'high pressure' regulator (IMO... even better than without it), and if equipped with the special devices, it has more safety features than two-gas regulators.

Me