View Single Post
Old 2010-08-09, 1:33pm

Default Keeping Glass Reduced

Hi have a question some of you I am sure have answers to!

I just pulled a batch of beads that had DH stringer work on it. When they went into the kiln they were beautiful and lustrous! When I pulled them out most of the reduced luster was gone! It was odd - some beads were half and half. This is not a common issue and usually they stay they way they were put in. It is possible the environment in the kiln was slightly oxidized and removed the luster? If this is the case how can I help the kiln environment stay slightly reduced? I remember hearing something once that a small piece of charcoal in the kiln helped this???

The other thing that MIGHT be part of the reason is I recently put a new mandrel rest in the kiln. I have however had it in there a few kiln cycles so I would think any residue on it might burn off but do you think this might have been a contributing factor?

Any thoughts or idea are greatly appreciated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.