View Single Post
Old 2009-02-23, 2:51pm
Did someone say SALE?

As I had posted in the other thread regarding this topic, I think that actual testing in ACTUAL conditions needs to be performed to see what our eyes are actually exposed to. There are a lot of speculations by the safety glasses manufacturers, but no hard numbers.

Who should do these tests? Good question. I would think that if you were employed as glass worker, that a government agency would require measurements and industry standards for protection against possible exposure. Since it does not seem as though that is something that has been tested, with the exception of NIOSH testing at the ISGB Gathering a few years back, (which showed no concern with soft glass for IR exposure) then who else should we turn to?

1. The people who profit from recommending the product to the lampworking community would be the first logical choice, but would they show their results if it showed that the glasses were not necessary to a large portion of the population they were selling to? Also, would people mistrust testing done by the group that profits from the item in in question... an example: Testing funded by a dietary supplement company that shows how necessary and beneficial their product is. To clarify, I am NOT saying that the glasses for sale are not effective at blocking radiation here at all... just wondering how NECESSARY they are when you consider the (unknown) exposure.

2. Maybe the ISGB? As far as I know, there has been no plan from them to try to get this done.

3. Self-funded research among the community? I would certainly donate to the cause if this is something others would consider.

4. Linda, aren't you retired from a company that makes this kind of testing equipment, according to your posts in the other thread? Surely you have some industry connections that you could call upon, since it is obviously a subject you feel passionately about? I am curious about what eye protection you use and what kind of glass do you work with? Speaking of which... have not seen your work yet, would love to have you join us in the Gallery section!

Bottom line... I definitely want to be safe, but I would not want to waste money on expensive eye protection that is not necessary.