View Single Post
Old 2012-06-20, 4:27am

Lightbulb Very Inexpensive Idea for Glass Rod storage

Hi All,

Just thought I'd leave an idea that has worked for me and allowed me to store my glass rods without taking up a ton of room or costing me a ton of money (gutter pipe with three cuts per and about 8 bucks a pop was going to be too expensive, after all why pay money that can go towards glass and tools???? Sorry but considering the rising costs of construction materials, I doubt pvc would be much better in the price category).
Here's what I've come up with . . . I managed to pick up one of those metal cabinets at a last resort shop, for about 40 bucks (estate sales, shops going out of business, flea markets all good places for that) - and I had realized that I needed the room in the cabinet for other things, but the doors were unused space. I went to Walmart and bought four of those over the door shoe storage pieces (8 dollars per), the ones I selected had 24 mesh pockets. I know I know MESH???? Won't the rods rip that or simply go through the holes? Not if you pick up a bulk pack (Sam's, Price Club, Costco) of those 16 oz plastic cups and place one in each pocket. Voila! Easy storage cost about 40 dollars (80 with cabinet) and I can hold so much glass in them. I've had mine for a year now and not a rip. I typically do not use the bottom row - only because it's low to the ground and I really need to fix the lighting in my studio. Now I have one on each side of the door (eliminating wasted space - and although I can't close the doors that's not a problem because I have no need to do so). It's not quite as pretty and neat, but it is completely cost effective and functional and great for quickly finding what I need. It also allows me to divide my glass more easily - Lauscha, CIM, and the silver glass. I've had no breakage and it's easy to put the glass up after I get a shipment. The items inside the cabinet prevent the cabinet from tipping over.
Note: since there is so much of the Effetre, I managed to find one of those candy racks for the impulse buyer at the register, for a dollar at an estate sale, bought three or four pieces of poster board and spent about 30 minutes for another storage center. I cut the poster board so it gave me a flat surface and cut more poster board folded it over the front part of each row and this prevented rods from sliding out as well as allowing me to label the sections. In the bottom rack, the deepest of the shelves, well that turned out to be a great place to store my boro since it's so much longer than my soft glass.
Hope this helps anyone needing a good solution for storing their glass.
If you'd like a pic just let me know and I will add one (I'd like to see if anyone replies )