View Single Post
Old 2012-02-20, 3:08pm
@miniuniworld

but most of those pics don't even have a vent or windows...

Thanks PJ and Lorraine!

So if the room is big enough and I have a few windows open behind me. I don't need a fan for the make-up air to come in? Just need a vent to pull out the air?

So I will try to answer those questions:

In most cases the artist has a physical space, studio, set aside.
Yes I will be using the sunroom

How big is the studio space?
168in by 138in with 8ft ceiling

What objects or spaces on the other side of the studio's walls will impact the mechanical setup? There are large windows on all 3 sides of the sunroom. except for where the sunroom is connected to the house, where there is a door.

Is there access to the outdoors?
no

Is there room to have at least 10 feet between where the vent system dumps the contaminated air and where the makeup air comes in?
Yes. I plan to set my torch up on on end of the room and open the windows on the other end.

Does the contaminated air impact someone elses property or safety or might it be sucked into another part of the building?
No. It will be sucked outdoors. It would have to be sucked out the deck if I want the make up air to come in through the window behind me. Or I can set up the torch on the other end and have the make up air come in from windows that looks out to the deck.

Where are doors and windows loocated in the space and how high are they from the floor/ceiling? There are large windows on all 3 sides of the sunroom. except for where the sunroom is connected to the house, where there is a door.

Can I cut holes in these walls?
Not sure if I can cut hole in the walls. I would think that the answer is no

Where do I want my workbench in the studio?
It will face one of the windows.

Will it face the door or wall?
I was planning for it to face one of the windows

Will it be in the center of the room so it is multi sided?
If this is a better option. I can do that as well.

How is the ceiling constructed and can I hang a somewhat heavy vent hood and ducting from it?
Not sure about this...

What other furnishings will I want in the studio?
I will put a few desk height cabinets for tools and for the kiln to sit on.

Where will the kiln be located? close to my work area... not too close but hopefully within arms reach

Where will the fire extinguisher be located?
I'll mount that on the wall near the door.

How much electrical power is available? Is it enough for my equipment or do I buy equipment to fit the power; go smaller/ larger?
There is enough electrical power

Are there special limitations such a stairs or sharp corners that may limit access?
Nope

What colors are pleasant ot work in for me?
anything soothing... the sunroom is actually wood paneled and I am okay with it.

Do I want to work standing, sitting, or both?
Sitting

How long before I want to upgrade to a bigger torch and will this setup handle it?
Hopefully not too soon. I am pretty happy with soft glass and will be using a minor in the beginning. Will most likely upgrade to a bobcat when I can find a good deal on one =)

Where will I store glass and how much?
I will store them in the desk height cabinets.

Is the lighting suitable?
I will have desk lamp as well as the natural light

Can I build some or all of this myself? Do I have friends that can/will help?
I don't know how to build much. But I can ask some friends to help or I can learn as long as I don't have to deal with heavy machinery

How much can I afford and how much can I dump into the project at a time?
I don't have a huge budget. Even the kiln is blowing my initial budget...

Can I make some or most of my small tools? What basic tools do I need to get started?
I am trying to buy those used...

How big does my hood need to be?
Yeah... that is one of my question...

What should the hood be made of or can it be made of? Do I buy or sub out (design and have fabricated) making a hood?
Can the hood be purchased? It seems like that are all custom made...

Do I think I'll ever have more than one torch station or teach classes?
I will start with 1 but maybe grow to 2 or max 3 torches?

Is this a hobby or a business venture or both?
It is a hobby now.

Can I go cheap now and upgrade later or will that involve more work and expense than warranted so it's better to go good now?
I would rather do it right the first time. So I don't have to redo it all. But I also don't have a huge budget to blow...

Do I have access to places that supply materials I need to do some or all of the homemade things?
I live next to a plumbing supply store... But not sure if they will have everything I will need... But I can order it if I know what I need and where I can get it.

Last edited by @miniuniworld; 2012-02-20 at 4:29pm.