Thread: Too Extreme?
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-17, 2:26pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
LOL!

Well, I do make a lot of beads like you already know, but I think any little 1-2 person company accepting a contract for 10,000 beads is well....I think it's "nutso". I mean, "10,000 beads" is a lot more than the humongous number of "1,000". Just the thought of having to make 1,000 beads for someone makes me nervous. The most I ever did was 500 under contract, and I was pretty damn apprehensive until they were all done and out the door.

When you take on a contract for 10,000 beads, you are taking a LOT of risks. What will happen to your deal if one or more of the following happens to you or your business??

What will you do if something happens to you or your partner, like a very serious accident, serious illness, or how about a death in the family?? What will happen with your contract then? They won't give a shit about you, or your family, and they will want their beads and/or their money. So, if it's just you, one little person, or you and a partner, that is too small of a back-up for a very big job. It's all on you if something bad happens and you cannot continue to fulfill your contract. If something goes wrong, you could lose your business, your reputation, and more. It's not worth it, and you are not going to get top dollar for your work. Why would you want to sell your beads for less than they are worth?? I could never understand "wholesale" with artisan lampwork.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade here. I'm just being realistic. You are just human, not machines that can be replaced when broken. I really have to laugh at people who think they are invincible, and I can almost see their eyes lighting up with the flipping dollar signs. Ka-Ching!

Sorry! I just had to tell it like it is!

I wouldn't take payment up front, and I'm sure they wouldn't offer it. I'd expect payment as I completed a batch, for however many beads might be in it. If I get sick or have an accident or a death in the family, that's going to affect my business regardless.

As far as top dollar, if I don't have to spend hours photographing or listing my beads, I can afford to charge less for them. A guaranteed buyer would leave me more time to make beads, and I'd spend much less time doing the other, un-fun stuff. I have about thirty sets sitting here that I've been procrastinating photographing for a couple weeks now; if I had a buyer already lined up, I could have been paid for and shipped them by now.

I have no issues with the quantity of beads... that's a great arrangement, provided they have a 6-month to 1-year timeline for them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.