View Single Post
Old 2011-07-19, 10:07am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassGalore View Post
Oh gawd, not a DB thread. Please bury it again.
Oh I doubt he will be around to post again in here unless someone addresses him... but it's a good topic! Especially right now because since 2007 the economy took a dive off the deep end and many of us have changed our attitudes on pricing.

What has changed for me: I was still on ebay in 2007 with over 1300 feedback from selling beads, and right about then I could see that I was not getting bids above the starting bid. Then they started dwindling down to where I was having to relist. Waste of money over and over and really disheartened, I shifted over to Etsy to save on listing fees. In 2008 Etsy was getting better and better so I didn't regret leaving ebay...I celebrated it.

I raised my prices a little, but I'm still making the same beads that I made for ebay. My work and skill level has not really progressed much over the years, but that was by my choice. When you have to work really hard in the studio to make a living, there is not a lot of time for experimentation and learning how to use all those presses, new tools, the new silver glass, etc. All work and no play is just the way it is for me. If I had a partner in the studio, that person could make the "bread and butter" beads while I learn and create new things. That isn't the way it's going to be, so I will bake more bread and spread more butter to keep my customers happy.