View Single Post
Old 2011-07-19, 8:08pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamper View Post
Keep the conversation going. What Lisi and Kalera noticed is exactly why I bumped this thread. Lisi, I am finding that I too want to experiment but then I can't get the value for the time I spend so I keep doing what I know works.
Oh and be the way. I've tossed almost all my presses...too much work for dollar returned. And as to tutorials...it's neat to see new techniques, but mostly they are not my personal style, and experimenting to change them to make them mine is just too time consuming.
Wow, someone who understands exactly what I'm talking about! People have asked me why I don't do anything other than what I do, and sometimes that gets a little hard to explain. It's nice to know someone else who doesn't give in to keeping up with the "new wave".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laci View Post
Lisi, I love your etsy shop! It's great to see how interesting and creative a round bead can be!
Thanks Laci! It becomes relaxing once you are used to working a certain way and especially with the problem-free glass. But I do have days when I want to just quit doing this because of silvered ivory getting yucky or bubbly teeny pitty frit problems, but I won't. I'll keep going until I'm unable to see and my hands shake way too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Lisi...relieving stress is the whole point of annealing. If the bead survives the thermal shock of ramping up for a batch anneal---it ends up just as annealed as any other bead. It starts out the cycle with more stress than a garaged bead--but it should end up 'relaxed', which is what annealing is intended to do
Mary, that was a loooong time ago and I have since changed my mind about batch annealing! I had to batch anneal for four months when I moved back into my rental house and before I got my kiln set up in the same room as the torch. I used the "annealing bubbles" and never had a bead break, except Bullseye beads larger than 10mm. I ruined a lot with shoving them into vermiculite, so the ease of using the bubbles, I was very pleased with them. I still use them if I'm making a huge run of small spacers, like 8mm size, so I don't have to keep opening and closing the kiln door every minute. lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
One of the drawbacks to selling lower-priced sets is the extra work in photography and shipping. I used to ship several $300-$400 packages a week, now most of them contain a single $20 set so I'm spending WAY more time shipping, as well as taking pictures and listing!
Yep, this sux! I'm really looking forward to it when I have to take all new pictures of the ready to ship beads since I'm getting rid of most of the made to order. I forgot how much work it really is!

Last edited by Lisi; 2011-07-19 at 8:23pm.