View Single Post
Old 2007-01-22, 3:25pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
I agree with this to a point. Sooner or later, you are melting glass as fast an anyone possibly can. You can only go as fast as the torch will let you - believe me I have tried.
Then it's time to get a bigger torch.

Quote:
I'm all for efficiency, no matter if it's melting glass, cutting glass or anything else. When I sewed mass production, I had those seams lined up one after the other to keep from clipping threads and moving stuff around. I couldn't make that sewing machine go as fast as I could feed it in.
Efficiency isn't just about working fast - it's also about minizing all non-productive effort. Compare it with typing. The way to type quicker isn't to try to move your fingers quicker, but to reduce the time between the finger movements.

Quote:
There comes a time when it just won't go any faster. I used to price plain beads without a lot of decoration way, way cheaper thinking that it would be wrong to charge for the lack of design and originality in them. Then I realized, heck it took me time to wrap that plain glass around the mandrel. I still charge less for plainer beads but the gap has narrowed.
The first stage is to get as quick as you can with a design that works. The next stage is to specifically design things that take less time to make. Design efficiency is more important then work efficiency.

DeBrady Glassworks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- - Glass Campus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan