Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-05-16, 1:54pm

Default How to make ornaments?

Well I got my hollow mandrils from tink yesterday and last night I made my first shards and a few blown vessels. I think I am in love with blowing glass!

I have heard you can make ornaments using hollow mandrils, how do you do it, how do you finish them off?

One of my first blown vessel attempts:

One of my first shard attempts:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-05-16, 3:01pm

I am having alot of fun blowing ornaments. If you do it just like you make a vessel it works well. I make a couple wraps at the end of the dipped mandrel and then marver them smooth and flat like the top of a comercial glass ornament. Then I just spiral the glass on in a round hollow sphere. Then just melt it down without messing up the flat lip and blow. I am really new and really bad at this and it is not hard. The 1/4 inch mandrels will fit the 10mm ornament caps if you make sure the glass is not to thick on the lip. I can make 2 1/2- 3 inch ornaments on my mini cc and they still fit in my kiln. After you anneal them you just clean the bead realease out of the top and plug the ornament cap in and you will be as happy as I was.

Have a blast,
Alison
Old 2008-05-16, 4:22pm
Ad astra per aspera

Here's my official guilt moment of the week. I've had a dozen of those German glaskolben bubble-tubes for....ummmm, a few years now? I'm scared stupid to use them and screw up. AND I'm not sure how to anneal them. Eeek! I have hot fingers, I have frit (OMG do I have frit LOL), but I also have a fear of screwing them up.

I bought them on a whim. Maybe I should put them in the Garage Sale but I'd love to figure out how the heck to work them.

Old 2008-05-17, 7:41pm
Glass-aholic

oh just play with one... lol

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-05-18, 4:31pm

Yup! DO IT!

Here is a link with instructions

http://www.edhoy.com/BlownGlassOrnaments.pdf

This is easier than trying to get round beads. I promise.

Alison
Old 2008-05-18, 8:48pm
Ad astra per aspera

Thank you Alison! I had that file on my old PC and totally forgot I'd even lost it!

Okay, this week I'll sit down and give one a try.

Old 2008-05-19, 6:34am

You know we will want pictures. We loooove pictures. Have fun!

Alison
Old 2008-05-19, 6:57am
Wait.....what?

So my sister has my mother's old teeny tiny plastic Christmas tree. It has glass ornaments and slowly they've been breaking, a few at a time. Now she needs half a dozen or so teeny glass round ornaments. I told her I'd see if I could make something to work for her. Does anyone know where to get the really tiny ornament tops? The ones I've seen are all very big. I'm talking the size of a pea for the smallest ornaments - which I probably won't be able to do for a while anyway - to something maybe as big as 15mm in diameter, probably 10 mm though.

Old 2008-05-19, 7:19am
Glass-aholic

I could not find a well prices source for the caps. The lady in the craft store suggested big bead caps, I could not find any that would have fit my specific bead, so I hit the discount store after christmas and pulled off the ends an a bucket of ornaments. they cost me like 5 bucks for almost 60 of them. If you make handles you can either wire wrap them a hanging device or string them on a short cord to just put right over the tree branch or what-not.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-05-19, 7:35am

Don't know where any of you live but Glasshopper's in St. Louis has a class in blowing ornaments. (May be in the Fall) There web site is www.glasshopperstudio.com. They're a really great group of people. I think they also have the caps.
Kathleen
Old 2008-05-19, 9:29am
Formerly known as weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDreamer View Post
Here's my official guilt moment of the week. I've had a dozen of those German glaskolben bubble-tubes for....ummmm, a few years now? I'm scared stupid to use them and screw up. AND I'm not sure how to anneal them. Eeek! I have hot fingers, I have frit (OMG do I have frit LOL), but I also have a fear of screwing them up.

I bought them on a whim. Maybe I should put them in the Garage Sale but I'd love to figure out how the heck to work them.
I did the same thing you did, and I don't have a clue how to use them at all!!! Thought the instructions would be easy, but still don't understand the whats and how to's . color me dumb. Just might sell off mine too as I have quite a few.

Old 2008-05-19, 12:03pm

Here are a couple links for ornament caps I am still looking for a good source for these.

http://www.howacoglasssupplycompany....ben_tubes.html

http://www.nationalartcraft.com/subc...id=97&scid=196

Alison
Old 2008-05-19, 4:21pm
Wait.....what?

I think I'll have to make caps for the little teeny ones i need to make.
I want to try those glaskolben too, I just have to save a little money for them.

Old 2008-06-07, 2:24am

Total newbie here still working on making solid round beads. This sounds like so much fun! I think I would have a blast. It's wonderful learning about all the new items & techniques I'll get to try out someday.
Old 2008-06-07, 6:44am

instead of caps, if you cant get the right size, you could add a loop to the top for a ribbon. thats how i have mine on my tree.
ro

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2008-06-07, 11:50pm

You could also make one with PMC...

Old 2008-06-08, 4:40am
Run Free Sweet Boy

hi,

Ed Hoys has several sizes of the ornament caps. I also will give ya a super easy and cheap way f making small ornaments, and ornament pendants for christmas necklaces. I made neon signs for years. and every neon shop( look under signs in the yellow pages) has gobs of scap glass thats a foot long or so. The neon sign tubing is all 90 coe. So, go ask your local neon guy for some 10 and 15mm scrap tubing thats clear, not the phosphorous coated stuff. They may even sell you a few whole sticks as well.

next, just start gradually heating the end og the tube, and gather a glob of solid glass, and roll in frit or pwoders etc, melt in, and then tip the end of the tube UP slightlyand beging to blow and rotate slowly. When you get your bubble done, set it off in a rack to cool and beging the next one. After you get a bunch, just use a glass file and cut the tube close to the ball and pop on your cap.

Neon sign tubing is lead glass, so you need to work in an oxidizing flame. But you can use the powders that the furnace folks use, and the gold reeduction ones are YUMMY. ITs been about 7 years since I have worked doing neon, but the clear glass is pretty cheap, like abuck a pound, so asking for scraps isnt asking for a pot of gopld, and its also saving the landfill. I bet if you ofered to show the neon person how to make the ornaments they would be thrilled.

neon sign tubing also does not recycle like our botles etc do, because its not used commercially in other things. But for you folks that have small furnaces, it can make great cullet if its clean and is wonderful for paperweights. NIce optical clarity.

have fun.... and go ahead and play with the glass kolben blanks, its just glass, and you can get more. If you are not scewing up, you are not doing anything, and you are not learning anything.

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."