Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-04-04, 2:05am
Nah, not really...;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiK View Post

Looking good Vicki! Nice to see you posting!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-04-04, 2:12am
Nah, not really...;)

Denise, cute, cute kitty.
Jo, you are rockin' it girlie.
Chris, you go on w/ your bad self.
Jenny, fantastic colors, and I like "Raging Surf" that Wendy suggested.

Old 2007-04-04, 5:07am

I just tried out a new Dichroic color from Trevs Glass yesterday. This one is called "Killer Shark". This color would be perfect for galaxy effects since the color of the Dichroic is mostly silver with a very faint touch of light blue. It works really well and doesn't burn out. I overheated it so I thought it had gone to ash, but when I pulled it out of the kiln this morning it looked awesome. This pendant is 2.75" long, and I only used a piece of this stuff .5" by 1" to get this effect. Once again, my photography of Dichro stinks, but hopefully you can get the idea from the picture. (Photo was taken with existing room light - no flash.)
Attached Images

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2007-04-04, 7:13am

bunyip...yes to the clear link in the arrow head. It is just the right finishing touch. I really like the chipped edge look. Great design!

Sandy
Old 2007-04-04, 7:33am

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwoodTrailGlass View Post
New month, new thread, kaykay.

You're funny. It is about time someone started a new one. I pity the person on hardline.

Maybe a thread a week might help them out. Have you noticed how boro beadmaking is growing? It is wonderful to watch.

Carrie, I love those freeform hearts. They look fun to wear.

You guys are getting so creative with the boro.. I am also attracted to the "arrowheads".

Old 2007-04-04, 7:46am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Weaver View Post
I took a class with Kay (LAG), she's a wonderful teacher. Here's what I learned.
Renee
I just saw your post. Hurray for you. They aren't "black". And thank you, too. You are a very determined student with the basics now, which tells me you will do just fine....
Old 2007-04-04, 8:33am
Trying to Hope!

I tried working waaay too big last night and almost had a bracelet on my minor finished but then I dropped it and yeah after the 3rd time it was toast I did make this tho and i call it
Faux Opal

It is my first shot at dichro and altho I burned the crap out of it and basicly ruined it it randomly shows opal like colors here and there in a milky kinda white snowy stone like cover Its good enough for me My mom will love it

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2007-04-04, 8:57am

Wendy - I really like "Raging Surf" - it is so cool to hear what other people see - I looked at them and saw broken shields and Angie saw the beginnings of a snail... I love glass!
Thanks Carrie for the compliments on the colors - coming from you that means a lot!
Nagi - I don't think anyone has ever said my beads were "droolworthy"-LOL!- love that!
Vicki - great pinks...
Jo - I love that 3rd one down - that tiny bit of ruby really pops!
Denise - the kitty is great!
Angie - your pendants are wonderful!
Thanks everyone!
Jenny

Old 2007-04-04, 9:01am
Trying to Hope!

Frisk I didnt make raging surf I am sorry if it looked like I did I was just offering my help choosing a name I wish i did it is a wonderfull peice

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2007-04-04, 9:27am

Wendy - I was just thanking you for the name - I thought it was perfect!
Jenny

Old 2007-04-04, 11:57am
Flamewoman

Default My First Boro beads.

Hi all,
These are the first beads I have made from Boro. I kind of got the hang of striking the DAP I think, is this what it should look like? Most of these are DAP.
What are some other easy colors to try? What is the most popular clear to use?

Thanks!
Mary K
Old 2007-04-04, 12:00pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary K View Post
Hi all,
These are the first beads I have made from Boro. I kind of got the hang of striking the DAP I think, is this what it should look like? Most of these are DAP.
What are some other easy colors to try? What is the most popular clear to use?

Thanks!
Mary K
Other easy to use colors are Purple Luster, Caramel Luster, Solara, Warm Yellow, Persimmon Strike, Silver Creek...

I use Simax clear pretty much exclusively. I have heard good things about the new Schott, but my distributor hasn't gotten any in stock yet, so I haven't tried it.

Old 2007-04-04, 12:01pm
Nah, not really...;)

Mary, those KICK ASS! You be proud and happy!

Old 2007-04-04, 12:14pm
Save the Numbats

Default beads

I have some dichro to share, also. Eric, who makes killer Shark? I haven't heard of it. I'm super out of the loop these days, though. Hmmm.
I was just thinking 'maybe I'll post some dichro, I never see that on here'. Good golly, how times are a changin'.
The one where you can see through it and it looks all woobly blue and gold is nice, but of course the pendant only,looks like that when backlit. Otherwise it looks solid gold dichro-ey.

Last edited by Juln; 2007-04-04 at 12:18pm.
Old 2007-04-04, 1:46pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juln View Post
I have some dichro to share, also. Eric, who makes killer Shark? I haven't heard of it. I'm super out of the loop these days, though. Hmmm.
I was just thinking 'maybe I'll post some dichro, I never see that on here'. Good golly, how times are a changin'.
The one where you can see through it and it looks all woobly blue and gold is nice, but of course the pendant only,looks like that when backlit. Otherwise it looks solid gold dichro-ey.
Trevs Glass makes Killer Shark. They just started carrying a bunch of new colors and patterns. And best of all, it is pretty easy stuff to work. I just ordered some 1/4 sheets of a bunch of different colors. www.trevsglass.com

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2007-04-04, 2:35pm
Serenity Now!

Lovin' the dichro - and just 'bout everything else!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2007-04-04, 2:57pm
The Venerable Bead

WOW! Val that pink is to die for!!!!

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2007-04-04, 3:23pm
boro color bender

Yeah, that's a great friggin pink!

You guys are making me want to melt dichro. I've got some sheets here I haven't tested yet. Maybe I will tomorrow.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2007-04-04, 5:44pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venbead View Post
WOW! Val that pink is to die for!!!!
I think I died!!!! that pink is only in heaven

Old 2007-04-04, 5:51pm
I'm too sexy for my shirt

Val, if only my colors could look like yours. Beautiful

#K58
Old 2007-04-04, 5:55pm

I never make sets!! but I am loving the brightness of the oranges and purrples.

This type of pendant actually sells well. But man, now I am out of those fancy headpins....
Attached Images

Old 2007-04-04, 6:19pm

Here is another Dichro pendant from yesterday. I have found that doing this shape and getting the pendant symetrical can be challenging. I really like it when it turns out.

I did a bunch more of these Dichro pendants today, and I am not happy with them. I was really having an off day, but maybe I will be able to save them through either cold working or reheating.
Attached Images

Old 2007-04-05, 7:51am
yukue fumei

WOW!!
Amazing work! I am so inspired!!!

Wendy--really cool! I can see dichro--nice! It really does look like an opal....
Mary--oh my! those are your first beads in boro? you got the color magic right off the bat--not fair! love them!!
Juln-gorgeous pendants--I want to dive into all that sparkly goodness!
Eric-thanks for the link to Trevs glass....will have to take a peek....
Valerie--OMG--stunning as always!!! Really gorgeous pink!!
Kay--love the pendant!! and the orange and purple set glows!!!
Eric--OMG-you are not happy with that pendant?! It is beautimous! I love the dichro going up into the loop--wow!! I am inspired!

nagi

Old 2007-04-05, 8:00am

Holy crapoly! Each and every one of the beauties on this page is to die for....
the dichro rocks ass, the newbie with the flair for striking the DAP is AWESOME, and that pink... O M GGGGG!

Jo
Old 2007-04-05, 8:01am

Oh and Lag... that spiral doodad is KILLER! I love that kind of stuff!
Old 2007-04-05, 8:04am

Im inspired too..........
Val, those pink beads are soo beautiful.......
how do you get such beautiful colors...................

Old 2007-04-05, 10:37am
HourGlass Studio

Awesome Show so far people !!! Just killer. Makes me wish I had my torch up and running. We finally moved and everything is still packed up. DH says I can unpack the torch after i unpack the house stuff. LOL.

Old 2007-04-05, 10:38am

Here is another great Dichroic from Trevs Glass. This one is called pennisula, and has gold, light pink, and lavender high lights. The picture stinks as usual. Can anyone recommend a method of photographing this stuff?
Attached Images

Old 2007-04-05, 10:58am
yukue fumei

WOW--that's awesome Eric!!

I haven't tried this method of photoing dichro but sounds cool:
on GLDG there was a suggestion to take 2 pics of the same piece lit from 2 different angles and then 'shop the 2 together to simulate the actual colors. The photo looked much more representative of that dichro sheen and color...

nagi

Old 2007-04-05, 10:58am

Default my first S&T

Boro (and glass) newbie here with some implosions. I am planning to glue magnets to the back of these. I have been getting a lot of inspiration from these forums. I learned the implosion technique from my coworker Sebastian (http://www.glassartists.org/Gal25065..._s_Gallery.asp). Thanks! Lani
Attached Images