Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-04-27, 11:53am

Wow, very Nice! Mine still aren't turning out very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcoles View Post
I just had to attempt a rose marble. I think it's looking pretty close!

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-04-27, 12:47pm

Default Lady Slipper Orchid Pendant

Orange Lady Slipper Orchid Pendant with leaves and stem.

ebay link http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZj.kobuki

Thanks.

JK
Old 2008-04-27, 7:20pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobuki View Post
Orange Lady Slipper Orchid Pendant with leaves and stem.

ebay link http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZj.kobuki

Thanks.

JK
I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy! I've been wanting to take a class from you for quite awhile, John! I'm thinking I may have to make a trip to the west coast come fall. These are just fantastic!

Here's something new from me. A bit of a different style...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by hotcoles; 2008-04-27 at 7:23pm.
Old 2008-04-27, 7:22pm

That's gorgeous John! Of course, everything you make is gorgeous, you're my hero.

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2008-04-28, 7:19am
ManBearPig

Old 2008-04-28, 8:32am

Cosmos, those are fantastic!

I've been working on tube implosions too... but I can only get the 1st row to 'spike' (the one ON the lip of the tube). Everything else just does a dot implosion... How do you get the spikes all the way down like that???

Your marble on the left is breathtaking!! Especially with the graduated sizes!!

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2008-04-28, 8:52am
ManBearPig

It's all about the angle that you use when you implode them. Angling it down will get a different result from angling it up.

That and getting it really hot.

Old 2008-04-28, 1:09pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

Angling down and angling up????
I can't see what you mean.

Old 2008-04-28, 1:16pm
ManBearPig

The angle of the glass when you are imploding it. Angling it down will give certain results, and angling up will give different results. Also, if you heat from the side it will do certain things and if you heat from the bottom it will look different.

I realize pictures would explain it a lot better, but I don't have any pictures.

Old 2008-04-28, 2:55pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
How big are the marbles?

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2008-04-28, 4:04pm
ManBearPig

I don't have them in front of me, so I'm not exactly sure. The vortex is the biggest. About 1.75" I think. The others are in the 1.25" range.

Old 2008-04-28, 4:48pm

So... which angle is the one that gives the 'toothy' effect?

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2008-04-28, 5:30pm
ManBearPig

That actually comes after you have removed it from the tube...

Video coming sooner or later. Probably....

Old 2008-04-28, 6:41pm

Oh boy... now I'm confused... AFTER you remove it from the tube?! Cosmos... that's teasing! What do you mean after you remove it from the tube??

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2008-04-28, 8:05pm

Helen, you're probably now asking the $70 question! Play with it...I bet you'll figure it out or get close to it. You eventually have to remove from the tubing to finish a marble, so maybe it's a bit sooner then what you would normally do. Sometimes it's just nice to cut those corners though! Hey! You might even figure out your own awesome marble style! After all, you're blossoming into an awesome boro artist!

Those are awesome, Cosmo! Your skill is impressive.

Old 2008-04-28, 9:21pm

Ahhh... good point Heidi.

Ok, I'll figure it out.

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2008-04-29, 6:06am
ManBearPig

You do the imploding while it's on the tube still. But, to get the dots to come in on themselves, you have to remove it from the tube. If you think about how a marble is shaped, and how the dots go up into the marble, you'll start to see it.

Again, I know words can only go so far in explaining, but that's all I have right now.

Old 2008-04-29, 6:33am

Hi Cosmos.

I did a quick attempt last nite, and the colors I used (crayons! DOH! LOL!) bubbled, so made a mess... but they DID shark tooth. By then, it was late and my kiln cycle had already begun, so I didn't try anymore. I can see how to do it now. Thanks for the help.

I had to edit this to add something... Cosmos, you have been so generous with your help on this forum.. I'm sure a LOT of people have benefitted from your knowledge already, and will continue to by what's still in your head. You said on a different thread you had no name recognition, but that's not true... I recognize your name, just from your postings!

When Heidi mentioned that about the $70 question... I realized something. You know, people are selling tutorials on Etsy. Why can't you? I would be willing to pay for a tube implosion step by step, with recommended (tested) colors listed as a beginning suggestion. I wouldn't pay a lot, but if you kept it to say $5.95 for a PDF file, you may be surprised at how many people would buy it (I would think EVERY beader interested in marble making). I use that price point because you can buy a back issue of Glass Line or Flow for roughly $7, and they all contain step by step tutorials, so asking more than that cuts down the curious in favor of the desperate.

Why not? You have no overhead to sell a pre-made PDF file, and you would get a return for your help. I'd buy it if you made it (no, I won't pay $15.95 for an online tutorial).

My Non-Glass Sites:

Last edited by Hels; 2008-04-29 at 6:43am.
Old 2008-04-29, 9:14pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hels View Post
Hi Cosmos.

I did a quick attempt last nite,... but they DID shark tooth. I can see how to do it now. Thanks for the help.

When Heidi mentioned that about the $70 question... I realized something. You know, people are selling tutorials on Etsy. Why can't you? I would be willing to pay for a tube implosion step by step, with recommended (tested) colors listed as a beginning suggestion. I wouldn't pay a lot, but if you kept it to say $5.95 for a PDF file, you may be surprised at how many people would buy it (I would think EVERY beader interested in marble making). I use that price point because you can buy a back issue of Glass Line or Flow for roughly $7, and they all contain step by step tutorials, so asking more than that cuts down the curious in favor of the desperate.

Why not? You have no overhead to sell a pre-made PDF file, and you would get a return for your help. I'd buy it if you made it (no, I won't pay $15.95 for an online tutorial).
YAY, Helen! I knew you could do it!!!

And I agree, I would pay for a pdf file!

Old 2008-04-30, 4:29am
Mandrel Slayer

Those are stunning Cosmo.

Eric,

One of my friends met you at a Woodlands show. Jan said your work was just beautiful.

Bonny

Nothing right now

What happens in Rockland, stays in Rockland.....
Hellcat, Two M-15s, propane and finally no tanked oxy.
Old 2008-04-30, 5:00am

Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithfirebeads View Post
Those are stunning Cosmo.

Eric,

One of my friends met you at a Woodlands show. Jan said your work was just beautiful.

Bonny

Thanks! That was a fun show. The weather was the best I have ever seen at a Texas show, and the people were really nice. My hotel was a bit of a drive though since I couldn't afford to stay in the Woodlands...boy that place is expensive.

Old 2008-04-30, 2:50pm
Flame Dame

OK, Eric, you were in The Woodlands and you didn't tell me?! You're in trouble now! I do plan on a road trip to Austin some time this summer.

Leah

Etsy ID: leahbeads
Old 2008-04-30, 5:17pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Hi Cosmos.

I did a quick attempt last nite, and the colors I used (crayons! DOH! LOL!) bubbled, so made a mess... but they DID shark tooth. By then, it was late and my kiln cycle had already begun, so I didn't try anymore. I can see how to do it now. Thanks for the help.

I had to edit this to add something... Cosmos, you have been so generous with your help on this forum.. I'm sure a LOT of people have benefitted from your knowledge already, and will continue to by what's still in your head. You said on a different thread you had no name recognition, but that's not true... I recognize your name, just from your postings!

I have never seen tutorials on Etsy. I'll have to look into that...

Old 2008-05-01, 12:28pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahBeads View Post
OK, Eric, you were in The Woodlands and you didn't tell me?! You're in trouble now! I do plan on a road trip to Austin some time this summer.

Leah
Yeah, I forgot to post about Woodlands. Honestly, I got so busy in my studio making stock that I forgot to do a lot of things before I left to do that show. I am in crunch mode again right now getting ready for this weekend at the Pecan Street Festival. Hope we have good weather this year. LOL

Old 2008-05-05, 4:56am

Default Thistles

Quote:
Ok, you gals wanted to know what I did with the thistles.... my original plan was to make an 'arrangement' of flowers, using thistles and petunias (which turned into morning glories instead). Here are the flowers together. The container idea didn't wash, I wanted to make it out of 'junk'... the content of my water jar... so I could have
'treasure from trash'. Well, the trash part ended up in the trash, after it blew up on me and I burned my hand. So I decided to do something new with the flowers.

Here's the full group of flowers and leaves:

Here's what I did with them:

Here's the closeup of the thistle one:
Helen
Do you make your flowers on the end of a punty?
Ingrideh
www.glassbeads.co.za