AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: Which 104 Ivory Do You Like Best?
Moretti Light Ivory 48 15.48%
Moretti Dark Ivory 192 61.94%
Vetrofond Light Ivory 26 8.39%
Vetrofond Dark Ivory 61 19.68%
Other (Explain Below) 11 3.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 310. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-10-15, 6:28am
Evil Glass Enabler

I like Vetrofond light ivory best because it looks most like white but has fun reactions. My favorite colors to put it with are turquoise and carrot red. Angelique

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2007-10-18, 9:32am

Kimberly, thank you so much for that tip... I now have to go organize!!! (Mike is in shock.. me organize??!!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-10-21, 7:25am
In search of her path....

depends what i want the bead to look like if I want lovely dark striations I love moretti dark ivory but if I want almost a hazing of dark caramely Ill use vetrofond dark ivory....they both work out a bit differently but i like them both I dont usually use lighter ivorys unless im working a reactive color over it then I will use it because it doesnt eat up the other colors as much as dark does.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2007-11-12, 5:38pm

I like the translucent dark ivory from vetrofond. Not sure why but it has some fun reactions
Old 2008-09-17, 9:24pm
Storm Queen

Well now this is an interesting thread. I have really only used Effetre dark ivory and of course light too. I love the dark and just bought 6 pound of stringers....I'm in heaven!

Old 2008-09-17, 9:27pm
Storm Queen

I forgot to add that I had (and still have some) of that funky translucent Vetrofond dark ivory that is going for big bucks. I got it from Arrow Springs and only used it when I ran out of my Effetre. BTW, I really didn't care for it. I think I have five or six rods left.

Old 2008-09-18, 3:21am
Soft glass addict

Moretti dark ivory cause it reacts great with silver and silver glass and for silvered ivory of course
But i also like the translucent dark vetro a lot.
Mega Minor + 2 oxycons and lovin it
Old 2008-09-18, 10:59am
Lampworkaholic!

Vetrofond over Effetre in almost all cases here, other than exclusive Effetre colors such as EDP, Anice, Nessi, etc. of course. For basic colors (periwinkle, violet, green, aqua) I go with whatever is least expensive, but given the choice I find Vetro color stays more true, the clear is more clear and the odd lots are very cool. That said, I'll take CiM any day over both.
Old 2008-09-26, 5:21pm
Senior Member | Jenelle

voted Effetre Dark Ivory, makes nice dramatic Silvered Ivory Stinger

|
|
|
|

Old 2008-10-04, 8:43am
I like to melt things

I like the vetrofond ivories better because I find it stays put better (doesn't spread as much) but I can see how the effetre would be more appealing for organics (since the spreading there seems to be part of the fun)

-
-
Old 2009-01-07, 8:51am
She better not sell these

I like all 4 for different reasons.

For shaping I prefer the vetro, it is a bit stiffer and doesn't stay soupy as long.

For veins I love effetre, for caramalizing, vetro.

For reactive frits and glasses I usually stick with the light ivories because they don't turn black as quick.

For silvered stringer the darks because the silver pops more. If I want the stringer to spread I use effetre, if I want the stringer to stay smaller and more defined I use vetro.

I have a 1/4 pound of the translucent odd, I never melted it. I will have to try it now that I read this thread. Is it as reactive as the other ivories?

#T53
"I love making lampwork beads, one at a time, with a Cricket or Minnnow burner on 5LPM oxycons".
Old 2009-01-09, 4:53pm

I've only used Moretti dark ivory, and I love the way it creates darker ivory swirls within the color.

Old 2009-03-31, 2:58pm
Floral Obsessed

I tried Vetro dark ivory a while back because my supplier was out of Effetre. I find it semi-translucent in rod form, which is fine, and it does get beautiful mottling on its own. But I don't like how it reacts with silver... it just looks dirty to me, rather than rocky or magical like I was used to with Effetre. I'm surprised to hear such good things about it here. Maybe I just need to treat it differently! I still have around 2lbs of it so I'm sure I'll use it again. But luckily I have a lovely new batch of Dark Ivory Effetre again.

Nov. 2003-Nov 2005 --> QuietTorch, 1lb MAPP ::
:: Nov. 2005-May 2007 --> Piranha, NG, 1 Solaris oxycon ::
:: May 2007-Present --> Piranha, NG, 2 Solaris oxycons
Old 2009-03-31, 3:22pm
She better not sell these

Heather,
You will find that the vetro dark isn't near as reactive as the effetre, so if you don't want the heavy dark lines you can use the vetro. You still get the reactions, but not as much, and if you can avoid heating too much, it is hardly noticeable at all.

Reactions that you get from greens and blues, for instance.

I like the vetro for presses because it is a stiffer glass and holds shape better when fire polishing, so hold onto it, you will eventually use it.

#T53
"I love making lampwork beads, one at a time, with a Cricket or Minnnow burner on 5LPM oxycons".

Last edited by twiggyinaz; 2009-03-31 at 3:23pm. Reason: clarifying reactions
Old 2009-03-31, 8:31pm
Elphaba Lives !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather/Ericaceae View Post
I tried Vetro dark ivory a while back because my supplier was out of Effetre. I find it semi-translucent in rod form, which is fine, and it does get beautiful mottling on its own. But I don't like how it reacts with silver... it just looks dirty to me, rather than rocky or magical like I was used to with Effetre. I'm surprised to hear such good things about it here. Maybe I just need to treat it differently! I still have around 2lbs of it so I'm sure I'll use it again. But luckily I have a lovely new batch of Dark Ivory Effetre again.
I mix the two. The Vetro is a couple dollars cheaper per pound than the Effetre, so if I'm making a bead with a Dark Ivory base, I lay down a little Vetro first, and then the Effetre on top. And if I want a little extra mottling/curddle, then I lay down a thin stringer of any of the silver glasses in between the two Dark Ivories. And if I need the base of the bead to be a little stiff because I'll be working it hot, then I lay down a little clear before the Vetro.

Old 2009-03-31, 8:41pm
Tassie Devil

I voted for the Moretti light, because I love using it with dark transparents - and I like it to stay a lovely cream colour. Guess that is the newbie in me! Love it with ink blue, or carnelian opalino, or dark aqua or dark teal. Very pretty!

Not into silver yet, but I prefer opal yellow as a base for the DH type glasses
Old 2013-09-10, 8:55pm
Artistically Absorbed

I'll be odd man out and say Effetre Sandstone. I like that it is the color of dark ivory, but not nearly as reactive and doesn't eat as much silver glass as some of the other ivories.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2013-09-11, 7:25pm

I use all of them for different things... but now I can't get Vetro. Sucks.
Old 2013-09-16, 4:35pm

Since recently getting my hands on more than one rod of vetro light ivory, and not having used vetro dark ivory, I'd have to choose effetre for the dark ivory and vetro for the light ivory. Good thing I now have a couple of pounds of each.

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials: