Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2012-01-09, 11:14am
Jacqueline Parkes

Default Passwords on Tutorials

Please please reconsider if you are going to put a password on your tutorials. I am not singling anyone out as I now have four tutorials with passwords. They will not open with Ipad which really sucks. Also, I cannot open them on my new computer. It does not like the reader version I have.

I really think passwords on tutorials are a mistake if you want to focus on customer satisfaction.

Don't get me wrong. I love all my tutorials. I just really dislike the passwords

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-01-09, 12:56pm
Wonder-wench

agreed, I like to use the iPad in the studio, and it bites to not be able to open docs up.

Also, if the point is to prevent copying, there are too many ways around the password (copier, scanner, etc) to make it worth doing IMHO.

Old 2012-01-09, 12:58pm
Who me?

My ipad asks me for the password and then it opens. I just changed the name of the files to include the password so I wouldn't have to remember it.
Old 2012-01-09, 1:00pm
Wonder-wench

can you elaborate on that technique of incorporating the password with the filename? sounds like a winner

Old 2012-01-09, 1:14pm
Debra Clutter

I absolutely hate passwords on tutorials!!!!!!

#C-108
Art is the desire of a man to express himself, to record the reactions of his personality to the world he lives in. -Amy Lowell-

Old 2012-01-09, 1:44pm
I like to melt things

The best workaround I can think of for this is to open up the tutorial in your PDF reader, and then print it. Instead of printing to a printer, print it to your own PDF making software, and make yourself a new, not-irritating PDF file.

-
-

Last edited by MelanieG; 2012-01-09 at 1:46pm.
Old 2012-01-09, 2:03pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I tried that Melanie, unfortunately it did not work. Imagine my annoyance when I discovered today that I cannot even open it on my own freaking computer now, sigh.

Old 2012-01-09, 2:04pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Also, I cannot open it to make a copy of the copy , if you get my drift.

Old 2012-01-09, 2:20pm
Storm Queen

Well that's just silly.

Old 2012-01-09, 4:27pm

I don't even know what the point of a password is. I mean if someone is going to make copies or share it with others wouldn't they just give them the password too??

Handmade Murrini Chips, Glass Beads, & Lampwork Tutorials
Old 2012-01-09, 4:43pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I don't get it either.

Old 2012-01-09, 5:57pm

I personally would not buy a tut with a password. It's pointless, and an unreasonable restriction on my ability to use it.

And if it is not disclosed in advance I would request a refund and if necessary charge back the purchase. IMHO, At the very least the sellers should fully disclose the limitation before taking our money, so we can each make our own choices.

There is a long thread about this already as it came up when several of us purchased the cane cookbook. As you can see in it, there is no actual benefit to encrypting a pdf - its a waste of time, and just makes buyers crazy.

As a result, of this thread, and looking into the reality of it, the seller removed the password so many kudos to this seller for listening and doing the right thing!

Meanwhile, might I suggest that everyone here post the names of any tuts they buy which require passwords. While I have me desire to prevent anyone from making sales, nor to point fingers, it would be great to know in advance if this is being done. I

buy a lot of tuts (probably have bought 25 or so in the last year) and only had this occur once (and as I said she fixed it quickly) but I'd sure hate to pay my money and then find out that I was unable to make full use of the tut afterwards...And it sounds like there are others out there to be aware of.
Old 2012-01-09, 6:06pm
Mary Lockwood

I can't crochet, I've only crocheted one thing my whole life and it took forever and I didn't enjoy the process. My mom loves to crochet but she is computer challenged. If she sees an online pattern or ebook she wants then she asks me to buy it for her. Every single one I've ever purchased has a password attached to it and it is always set by default as my own name no caps, no spaces. marylockwood

When the tutorial is delivered to me, I forward the email attachment to her and tell her the password. I never even open the darn things because I can't crochet, but obviously the password protection is worthless.

I don't see the point at all. If I can do something innocent as simply and quickly as that, then someone who actually does want to be shady is going to have no trouble at all either.

All I can tell is that it causes a pain in the patoot to the honest buyers who now can't open their tutorials that they paid good money for, on all their devices, which doesn't seem fair at all.

~~Mary

Old 2012-01-09, 6:13pm
novembersfyre everywhere

i agree with all of you! Here's what I used on some really stubborn password protected tutorials (that belong to me):

http://www.pdfunlock.com/

Old 2012-01-09, 6:13pm
Renee

No sale here if it has a password- I use my iPad all the time and I already have enough problems with it

"All unattended children will be given an expresso and a FREE puppy!"
Old 2012-01-09, 7:17pm
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

I open any PDF tutorials I buy in my iBooks program. It automatically separates the tutorials from my books, and so far, knock on wood, I haven't had any problem opening them. I can't print from my iPad, so I just carry it out to the shop with me and prop it up close enough to read, but not close enough to burst into flames! LOL

Contributing member of the EPIC FLOUNCE thread 2013
Proud member of YOU PEOPLE thread.
Old 2012-01-09, 7:36pm
Debra Clutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post

All I can tell is that it causes a pain in the patoot to the honest buyers who now can't open their tutorials that they paid good money for, on all their devices, which doesn't seem fair at all.

~~Mary

DITTO!!!!!!

#C-108
Art is the desire of a man to express himself, to record the reactions of his personality to the world he lives in. -Amy Lowell-

Old 2012-01-09, 7:43pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth View Post
i agree with all of you! Here's what I used on some really stubborn password protected tutorials (that belong to me):

http://www.pdfunlock.com/
Thank you, MaryBeth, I just unlocked the ones I purchased that had password (had to scramble to find one, what a pain!). . . appreciate the link!

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-01-09, 7:47pm
Jacqueline Parkes

That link is the bomb, thank you!

Old 2012-01-09, 8:10pm
Isinglass Design

I can't afford to buy very many tuts, but wanted to mark this thread just in case I had a password problem in the future. Although all I have is a computer, I can just imagine that I would have some kind of problem. So far, I have managed to put all of the tuts I've purchased on my computer, and printed them out as hard copies too. I'm just a real book kind of gal, I suppose.
I did buy one that had some kind of time limit for how long you had to download it. Had to download a whole new program to my computer to open it, and I was in the middle of a moving mess, so I fretted about it for a whole day with the clock ticking before I could do all that. And all because it was on sale right then!

Laurie
Old 2012-01-09, 8:12pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Thank you, MaryBeth, I just unlocked the ones I purchased that had password (had to scramble to find one, what a pain!). . . appreciate the link!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
That link is the bomb, thank you!
You are both welcome!

Old 2012-01-09, 8:53pm
Loving learning

I'm on DH's laptop because my computer is down, and I'm just hoping that the tutorials I've purchased make it from the old computer to the new one once it gets here. None of them had a password though, and I'm sure glad!
Old 2012-01-10, 8:34am

Any of Y'all guys who have bought my passworded tutes, I have made copies w/o them. I hired an editor who suggested it when I wrote them, but know better now. So sorry if I have inconvenienced you, and email me if you need a no password copy. ♥

Before His throne is a sea of glass like crystal.

Old 2012-01-10, 8:43am
Jacqueline Parkes

Quote:
Originally Posted by helensharvest View Post
Any of Y'all guys who have bought my passworded tutes, I have made copies w/o them. I hired an editor who suggested it when I wrote them, but know better now. So sorry if I have inconvenienced you, and email me if you need a no password copy. ♥
I really appreciate this Helen, thank you! Lets hope others will do the same. I adore each and every one of my tutorials. I am spending the month organzing them into binders and on my electronic devices. I do not take classes so they mean a lot to me.

Old 2012-01-10, 9:04am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMagicGlass View Post
can you elaborate on that technique of incorporating the password with the filename? sounds like a winner
Just like you would change any other file name. Right click on the file and choose, "Rename". Then change it from "Locked tutorial" to "Locked Tutorial _ PW Pa$$word" or whatever the password is.
Old 2012-01-10, 12:42pm
Beadmaking.nl

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamper View Post
Just like you would change any other file name. Right click on the file and choose, "Rename". Then change it from "Locked tutorial" to "Locked Tutorial _ PW Pa$$word" or whatever the password is.
I did that when I bought my tutorials with a password or else I would not remember it.

I can only see the use of a password when you make it unique. Example the password is the name of the buyer. I can imaging that then a buyer will not share it so easy then.

I store the tutorials on my iPad and the tutorials with a password you can not preview. So whenever I want to try one of all the tutorials I bought I am looking at the previews when I choose. So I rarely try the one with a password.
There was also one tutorial I could not open on the iPad. It has no password but I think it is some kind of protection.

So my advice for what it is worth: make a personal password (lot of tricks to unlock it) or leave it away. And tell when you sell a tutorial with a password. That seems honest to me. It is also honest to not share tutorials. I think that when nobody shares tutorials they have bought, there would not be passwords or protections on it. It has a reason they did that.

Last edited by Margrieten; 2012-01-10 at 12:57pm.
Old 2012-01-10, 1:14pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I don't share my tutorials. I removed the password protection because it was annoying to me. PW protection doesn't stop sharing if a person is determined to do so. You could just give them the password. It's a person's integrity that determines whether they are sharing their tutorials or not.

Old 2012-01-11, 5:47am
Beadmaking.nl

I am always carefull with sites I have to upload pdf's with a password. Because I asked myself: who is behind that site and what is the interest of doing this for free?

When you look up who is behind this site: http://whois.domaintools.com/pdfunlock.com , you can see that it is someone from Estonia.

Perhaps it will not harm a lot with beadmaking tutorials, but please be aware when you upload files to a site, you don't know anything about.

About "just" giving the password. When the password is the name of the buyer it is less attractive to share, because when the person who it was shared with, shares it also, the name of the buyer will spread and someday the seller of the tutorial will know how shared it.

Old 2012-01-11, 11:02am
MacGalver

I'm really surprised to hear how many folks are putting passwords on their pdf tutorials, especially since it doesn't prevent a dishonest person from passing on the files illegally! I have to think this is something that is being suggested by editors and others who don't have a full understanding of how the customer may need to use the tutorials.

Having said that... for my own tuts, a password is required to access the download page, but the tutorial itself is not encrypted. For me, knowing that the download page is password protected provides a sense of security, and I can change the page password fairly often to avoid the password being circulated unscrupulously.

Knock on wood, I have seen no evidence at all of anybody trying to hack the download page, and if a customer ever needs to redownload the tut after the password has changed, all they have to do is contact me from their paypal address so I can verify their orginal purchase and give them the current password for the page. Out of hundreds of tutorials sold, this has only happened a handful of times so far....

However, if anyone has had difficulties with my password-protected download pages, please let me know!

Jo

p.s. I would be much more afraid of piracy from a site like the one described above than I would be afraid of my customers spreading the tuts illegally!

Last edited by Frit Diva; 2012-01-11 at 11:05am.
Old 2012-01-11, 11:38am
novembersfyre everywhere

I haven't had any problems using that site and it does have an admin in Utah and another contact in Norway. I do research before I click on a site and there were zero bad reports for that link. I wouldn't upload any PDFs with sensitive info there, however!

Jo, of course the download link would be password protected! I don't think anyone would take issue with that at all