Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2006-08-11, 10:49am
First star on the right..

Default Consistant bead sizes

Ive been wanting to post this tip for a while now and just now got around to taking pics.... ignore the background..lol... ( my tables messy)

But here's my tip for consistant sized beads....

Use this tool.. ( its a dremel cutting tool)

Cut pieces in uniform sizes....

See Below for how to do this.

Punty them up..( Punty means to attatch the short glass to a mandrel to hold it) . I use a old mandrel i have bent.. you must HEAT the mandrel too for it to stick.. use your fingers to hold glass unless its very short then use your needlenose.

Melt it as usual.. * Ive been asked to expand on this part.*
WEhen you wind your glass, use a small footprint ( which is where your glass touches the mandrel)
Wind it up onto itself like a disk.
Melt it slowly, not letting it fold back upon itself. Use gravity, it is your friend. And you can take the bead out of the flame to roll slowly to even it out. Dont "Spin it" go slow, letting it take shape by itself. It will then form a nice Dimple ( the indented part, like a donut) and will shape up nicely into a round.

Viola! consistant bead sizes. Hope this helps someone. I know i had a lot of trouble with consistant sizes before I McGyvered this out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TessKay; 2006-08-12 at 9:14am.
Old 2006-08-11, 11:25am
I fart diamonds

excellent tip.

Old 2006-08-11, 11:29am

Good idea! I usually get an old bead out (even a wonky works) and try to make beads that match that size.

(website in construction)
Old 2006-08-11, 5:01pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

GASP! Isn't that cheating?
I think you should go back to winging it and praying to the glass gods - like the rest of us.

(good tip - gotta try that )
Old 2006-08-11, 5:12pm
In search of her path....

I just make a bunch of beads on the same mandrel

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-08-11, 5:23pm
One of the Booger 7

i usually make 3 or 4 beads and hope that two are sorta close . . . or don't they call that the graduated set?

Old 2006-08-11, 9:12pm

Genius!
Jen
Old 2006-08-12, 1:37am

you can cut glass with those things??? cool idea!

Old 2006-08-12, 6:16am
daughter and I

great tip Tess!

Seaside Fire Designs

Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just swish and spit.
Old 2006-08-12, 8:42am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowesky
you can cut glass with those things??? cool idea!
Ok- i must say that the way to "cut " the glass is this... Only make a small cut ( a "scrape) if you will) and snap the glass at the cut. ( This is called scoring)Use both hands to hold on each side of the nick, hold the nick toward you and gently press backward with both hands, and pop it. Dont try to cut it all the way through or it will shatter.

Ill go take some pics and show you........

Last edited by TessKay; 2006-08-12 at 9:28am.
Old 2006-08-12, 8:53am

Old 2006-08-12, 9:31am

Great tip Tess,
If you have glass nippers, they work great too!
(that's what I use to cut my pieces)!

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2006-08-12, 10:12am

Well this isnt meant for those of you that know what they are doing!

Nippers is a great idea too! I just have seen the question a lot from newbies and us tweeners. So thought id pass along the idea

Old 2006-08-12, 11:29am
The Beadstress

Tess,
That's a great idea!!! I can hardly wait to try it. I have trouble with an even foot print, much less with consistant sizes. Thanks so much for sharing!
Susan
Old 2006-08-12, 12:25pm

Wel it is an AWESOME idea Tess! You GO girl!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TessKay
Well this isnt meant for those of you that know what they are doing!

Nippers is a great idea too! I just have seen the question a lot from newbies and us tweeners. So thought id pass along the idea

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2006-08-12, 10:01pm
CC

Wow...what a great tip! Thank you thank you thank you. I've been drawing on my marvering plate, trying to measure using a metal ruler, etc...this looks like a really great way!

Old 2006-08-13, 9:19am

I never thought about using a dremel. One of my first tools was glass cutters (nippers). I was told to buy them at the hardware store. I've been making beads for 13 years - the nippers still work perfectly. I have the round wheel kind and the straight edge kind (like this best). For same size bead I have a friend who marked her rod. I keep a brass gauge on my table and measure the base bead before I decorate - need to be about 1mm narrower but exact length. Before I put bead in kiln I check it again with the gauge. Works for me!

Old 2006-08-14, 10:12am

The Gauge idea is great! Ill have to get a caliper and use it too. Mine is just an easy solution to an age old question, works well for me .

Old 2006-08-14, 1:42pm

If you have a diamond file, you can score the glass with it and snap it. No worry about power tools.
Joan
Old 2006-08-16, 7:20am

great tip, I was wondering if I could use my Dremel to cut glass and you've answered that too!!
Old 2006-08-17, 4:20pm
Glass-A-Holic ^..^

Nice tip! Maybe I will try it if I am trying to make a set. I just use my little mm sliding tool and measure it, LOL.

Boy am I jealous of your torch, you lucky girl!

Alaina

Old 2006-08-20, 6:48pm
Skeptical Optimist

When I made the big jump into buying some boro tubes and rods, I realized I had no idea how to cut them (I'd never cut the moretti, they just seemed an ok size already). My husband put one of our dremel bits that is a tungsten carbide bit into a table vise, and I just go over there and scratch them 3/4 of the way around. Then, according to the genius Homer Hoyt, I wet the spot on the tube or rod and touch it with a molten rod at the scratch. You hear a little crack, and it makes a great even crack all around. Works every time, nice even cuts!
Old 2006-09-07, 9:07am
Too Hot for my Torch

Shepherd Thanks I'm going to start tubing soon needed that info
The day we understand; everything that's going on, everything we're doing, and all that has come before; will most likely be the day we die. Otherwise we'll tell the world and then what will people do with their free time?
Old 2006-09-07, 2:01pm

Great Tip!
Old 2006-09-07, 4:15pm
Crispy Critter

These are all great ideas! I hope y'all don't mind if I interject a safety tip?

Cutting, breaking and snapping rods creates glass dust. Please make sure that you don't inhale the stuff. Wash your hands afterwards and use a damp cloth to safely remove the dust from your work surface.

Be careful out there!

Old 2008-04-13, 3:34pm

Thanks so much! I have been trying to figure out how to make matching earrings since I started and nothing seems to work very well. I will try this.

Peggy
The Glass Chef
Old 2008-04-13, 7:19pm
Creatrixie

Great Tip, Tess! Thanks
Old 2008-04-13, 7:24pm
Love 2 Sculpt Kritters

Awesome tip! Thanks a million. I'll try it real soon.

Old 2008-04-14, 7:39am
Dangerous Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdd View Post
These are all great ideas! I hope y'all don't mind if I interject a safety tip?

Cutting, breaking and snapping rods creates glass dust. Please make sure that you don't inhale the stuff. Wash your hands afterwards and use a damp cloth to safely remove the dust from your work surface.

Be careful out there!
You read my mind. You can use nippers and cut the rod under water that prevents the glass dust from flying around . I have to credit Tom and Sage Holland for that tip.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2008-04-14, 10:59am
Crispy Critter

NO WAY! They're the ones who taught me the dangers of glass dust.