No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2006-07-20, 1:16pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Blue
Those are so cool, thank you for sharing.

I am a Luna-tic. I have always been a city girl. I grew up in Northern Alberta. I thought everyone saw the Northern lights and the sun was up until 11o pm in the summer.

It was not until I moved to "rural" arizona - well at least a neighbourhood that does not have street lights.. that the moon looked so cool, you see crescent moons and harvest moons. Your cycles start lining up with the lunuar cycles. Has anyone read the Red Tent?

I need some good summer Chic-Lit books, any suggestions?

I am ready to write a novel on the ins and outs of the bead business, aka
The Devil Wears Prada,

That honesty just came out, I was not refering to anyone.

I am sorry but I do have a fair for the dramatic, and the comedy.

Does anybody even get my humour?

It is a Gilda Radner thing! Does anyone here know who she was,

If its not one thing its another...

I did not mean to highjack this post, ... please excuse my lunacy...

j

Gilda Radner..Heck I WAS Rosanne Rosanna Dana! (Hair and all LOL)

Welcome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-07-20, 1:18pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoondesign
Hi Debbie! This is the first time I've cruised around in LE, nice place! Cool to see you here and I love this tut...I'll have to give it a try!

Dana

Hey Dana! Good to see you here! My soul-sister. 5 more days till our Birthdays!!

Let's see a moonbead, baby!

Old 2006-07-27, 2:33am
No Longer an LE Member

The Devil Wears Prada - great book, is about the Cruella da Ville of the Fashion Publishing - Anna Wintour, Hellen Gurley Brown, all rolled into one.

She is evil. With the drama our industry now, I think of things in terms of movies and laugh.

It's a Gilda Ratner thing.. well I am Canadian, and spent many years in Toronto, and those who know me, know I am very funny.

I also have a pretty optimistic was of trying to deal with life.

Right now, my 20 year old cousin is in ICU. He is as bright as can be and is entering third year university. He has a rare form of MD, he is at the stage where his lungs are not working. Between that and having a neice and nephew in Israel, and a big job interview tommorow,

It is always something, I sure hope I don't have a big piece of snot hanging out of my nose during my interview.

I'd better get to bed, so I don't look and sound like shit tommorow..
Old 2006-07-27, 5:26am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Hugs and prayers to your cousin JJ. (((hugs))) He will be in my thoughts.

Good luck on the interview!!

Old 2006-07-30, 9:45pm
Resident Luny

As the resident LUNY, I wholeheartedly approve! Whisker, what is that ring around your amber moon? Is that silver too?

- artisan lampwork beads, jewelry, and a little bit of rock n' roll.

Be kind to one another. The world needs it more than ever.
Old 2006-08-01, 9:58am
I love color!

Thanks for a great tutorial, Debbie! I can't wait to try these. I assume this is a similar process for creating the beach scene beads?
Old 2006-08-05, 4:17am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

I would assume so Darelyn! I haven't tried those.

I'd love to see pics of any that anyone creates!

Old 2006-08-06, 8:45am
Crazy Snake Lady

Here goes...

I'm a real newbie (torching for about a week) so please don't laugh, well, at least not too hard.

Debbie I love your lunar bead and it really inspired me but it was obviously way too advanced for someone like me who is still trying to get the footprint right. But never being one to back down from a challenge - here it is! It's lopsided, the colors are crooked and I didn't have any white for the moon so it looks more like a sun but I was really excited to see what would come out.

I'm actually not completely disgusted with it - EXCEPT - what the heck happened to the ivory half!!!??? I mean...Blech...It's a hideous dull gray!

I used silver foil and it burned into the black half really nicely - lots of little "stars." So what's the deal with the other half?

Old 2006-08-07, 12:51pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Laurie, great bead!

I think maybe it was silver leaf and not foil you used? Also, whether you use dark or light ivory makes a difference. Not good or bad, just different.

Looks like you got it down though!

Old 2006-08-08, 10:30am

I thought you said we could use either silver leaf or silver foil? I'm not getting 'stars' at all just this scummy grey looking under tone, whether I encase it or I don't. Any further tips on how to get the silver to melt? I heated it last night till I saw it bubbling.. still no 'stars'. I LOVE the look of the beads and would really like to figure out how to make them. TIA for the help and for the tutorial.

:

Old 2006-08-08, 11:58am

Elaine - are you usig a hothead? I had a lot of trouble getting that with my hothead- when I went to a mini cc it worked on the first try
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Do you make purple hearts? Let me know in your order and I'll send you free purple glass!
Old 2006-08-08, 12:15pm
Crazy Snake Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierces*designs
Laurie, great bead!

I think maybe it was silver leaf and not foil you used? Also, whether you use dark or light ivory makes a difference. Not good or bad, just different.

Looks like you got it down though!

Debbie - I went back and checked to be sure - it's silver foil.

The ivory was just labeled "Ivory" not light or dark. If I had to guess I would say light.

Weird how something will work fine on one color and not on another...I obviously still have a lot to learn.
Old 2006-08-08, 12:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by recipegal
Elaine - are you usig a hothead? I had a lot of trouble getting that with my hothead- when I went to a mini cc it worked on the first try
I'm on a Minor Burner ... I've tried transparent Black and Intense Blue neither one causes stars.

:

Old 2006-08-08, 2:13pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

You did get stars on the black half. That is the only place I usually get stars.

With the ivory, are you using effettre (moretti) dark or light ivory? Dark gives more color variations usually.

You can take some different colors and drizzle or trail them over the ivory before you wrap it in the silver and that will give you variations on the bottom half. Try transparents or reactive colors like Copper green.

Old 2006-08-08, 2:17pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptElaine
I'm on a Minor Burner ... I've tried transparent Black and Intense Blue neither one causes stars.
OK I just saw this.

Burnish on the silver really well before heating it. To burnish you roll the silver onto bead and rub it real smooth all around. Then heat it till you see the silver disappear. Let the bead cool slightly the reintroduce back into the flame. I think that is when I see the stars appear.

I'll have to try it again tonight and note what I am doing.

Old 2006-08-08, 3:23pm

I'll try that tonight... here's a picture of my lunar bead ... the two spots you see are NOT a spots they're a reflection of a light over the bead. Unfortunately, the scummy grey undercolor doesn't show up at all on any of the pictures I take.

Let me make sure I've got the steps right,

1. Lay down black and ivory
2. Round up and smash into the desired shape
3. Heat to glowing orange, roll in silver
4. Use burnishing tool to rub the silver into the bead
5. Re-heat bead until silver disappears (?) (this is the missing piece maybe, the silver never disappears for me...)
6. Allow bead to cool
7. Re-heat bead and spots should appear
8. Cool bead and apply dot for moon

Please correct anything I have wrong... Otherwise I'm going to try again and try to get the silver to disappear

:

Old 2006-08-08, 3:53pm
A True Woofer

Are you using .999 fine silver?

Old 2006-08-08, 4:19pm

I am using Silver leaf or it could be foil that my instructor gave me a sample of at my private lesson... she had shown me how to pull silvered ivory stringer, and I have used it for that. I assume it is .999 silver, but I'm not certain. I have some PMC laying about, could I roll out my own silver using that? It's .999 Silver for sure.

:

Old 2006-08-08, 4:30pm
A True Woofer

OK I just wanted to be sure you weren't using fake silver leaf from the craft store. Cause that would just get scummy.

Old 2009-01-03, 6:50pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Just felt like bumping this up for those who might not have seen it before

Old 2009-01-03, 6:51pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Here is a newer one:

Old 2009-01-03, 6:55pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

that is beautiful, Deb!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-01-03, 6:58pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

One additional tip I can add to the original tut is to not burnish the silver. Just wrap it on well. When I burnish it in I get greyish stuff not stars.

Old 2009-01-03, 6:59pm
Fiddle-dee-dee!

Gorgeous, Debbie! I am going to have to try it out. Thanks!
Old 2009-01-12, 7:52pm
OBA-Official Bead Addict

Default different photos of lunar style beads

ok...first attempt at lunar moon bead, excuse the crappy pics.

And for those of you that say you can't see the moon from the moon, here's one of a view of earth from the moon

I tried the cobalt and tried adding some texture to the moon part but it didn't work out too good...I'll try again on the weekend.

I was trying to just simulate the milky way with coloured stars...oh...minus the fingerprint in the photo...lol Not as many stars as I wanted but I'll try it again

Janet

Old 2009-01-12, 8:01pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

You did Awesome!!

Old 2009-01-12, 8:29pm
OBA-Official Bead Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierces*designs View Post
You did Awesome!!
Thanks but OOOPSSS...sorry for the huge photos....I should have previewed them first...doh!

Janet

Old 2009-01-12, 8:42pm
Never give up

Debbie thanks for the tortorial. When I get back to work, silver will be on the top of the list. Thanks
Old 2009-01-19, 2:33pm

Default thanks

I am new to beadmaking...about one month...and this tutorial was great and really allowed me to "copy" and make some wonderful beads for a beginer...thanks again for it and everybody else that added their input.
Old 2009-01-20, 5:26am
Cherine Perrin Glass

Very cool tut Debbie. I gonna have to try this too!

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/