LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2006-06-28, 10:08am
Anna Duhame

Peg, those are great ideas...I have used small phillips head screw drivers...the effect was cool. Dh wasn't happy, it was HIS screwdriver!

Erika, That was exactly why I made the tool...I was getting so antsy waiting until I could buy one! That tool of Andrea's makes such fabulous impressions!

I thought it was kind of a "duh" thing too, I almost didn't post it, but now I am glad I did!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-06-28, 10:48am
Drawn to the Flame

I am glad you posted it too!

Now I need to make one,
I am a little worried about 18 guage wire...
have you used any thicker?
I think I have some 14 guage copper wire around here somewhere....

TJ
Old 2006-06-28, 10:57am
Nature Coast

Great idea Anna. Now you've got me rummaging around the house for cool stuff to poke at my beads.

Old 2006-06-28, 5:53pm
glass is sooo...me!

I tried cake decorating tips years ago. The metal is too thin and heats up too fast and the glass stuck to it. I made a BIG mess. Perhaps you will do better than me however.

Karen
Old 2006-06-30, 12:50pm

You are so clever, thanks for sharing.
Carmen
Old 2006-06-30, 1:15pm

don't forget the leather tools and wax impressions while you are digging for new impressions!
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Do you make purple hearts? Let me know in your order and I'll send you free purple glass!
Old 2006-06-30, 7:40pm

Great idea! I love homemade tools, I still use my "lentil" press I made out of measuring spoons. The kitchen is the best place! And I use my potato masher for lines also but it's pretty wide apart. And a meat tenderizer, I had to rush to my kitchen to find out mine is plastic, so I'll be hitting junk stores looking for a metal one. One of my favorite tools is a citrus or lemon press, it has handles and ridges where you smash the fruit and makes great fish fins and leaves. And I love my leather tools and wax tools, but you need to be sure both have deep impressions or it won't show up in glass! Sheila

Last edited by beachbeads; 2006-07-09 at 11:56am.
Old 2006-07-01, 5:48pm
Dangerous Woman

"wax impressions"? Wouldn't they melt?

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2006-07-03, 12:27am

saw a good one in use today, a flower "frog", you know those old fashioned metal spikey things for flower vases? Deb Crowley was using it to give an implossion type of effect.
Old 2006-07-03, 6:15am
Anna Duhame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbeads
saw a good one in use today, a flower "frog", you know those old fashioned metal spikey things for flower vases? Deb Crowley was using it to give an implossion type of effect.
Now THAT is a very clever idea!

One of my favorite "found" tools is a butter knife from a thrift store..it is very heavy duty stainless steel...I use the serrated edge for patterns, the tip like a pallete knife, and the back edge for adding details to things.

Also, Nikki Carollo sent me this manicure type tool that has now become another favorite. One side is kind of chisel shaped...the other side kind of like a tiny spatula.

I have wanted to get some leather tools for using with Art Clay silver...I have a package of it that I am afraid to open..the first package did not work out so well! Soooo, since the leather store is about 30 miles away through tourist infested roadways, I've held off.

Old 2006-07-03, 6:27am

Quote:
Great idea! I love homemade tools, I still use my "lentil" press I made out of measuring spoons. The kitchen is the best place! And i use my potato masher for parelel lines also but it's pretty wide apart. And a meat tenderizer, I had to rush to my kitchen to find out mine is plastic, so I'll be hitting junk stores looking for a metal one. One of my favorite tools is a citrus or lemon press, it has handles and ridges where you smash the fruit and makes great fish fins and leaves. Sheila
I got mine at a restaurant auction- cheap and it will last forever!

I love the lemon press idea- i need to haunt garage sales and dollar stores for one
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Do you make purple hearts? Let me know in your order and I'll send you free purple glass!
Old 2006-07-03, 6:28am

Quote:
Originally Posted by playswithfire104
sorry- not the wax- the metal used to impress the wax
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Old 2006-07-03, 6:29am

Quote:
Do you have a photo- or does anyone else know what this is called? I can't picture it
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Old 2006-07-03, 6:30am
Anna Duhame

Yeah, I like that lemon press idea too!

Old 2006-07-03, 6:35am
Anna Duhame

Quote:
Originally Posted by recipegal
Do you have a photo- or does anyone else know what this is called? I can't picture it
Hi Jessica!

Here is a place I just found that sells them:

http://www.marniturkel.com/Pages/Vas...gs&Covers.html

Old 2006-07-03, 6:42am

Thanks Anna- never would have come up with that one!
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Old 2006-07-03, 6:45am
Anna Duhame

Me either!

Never thought of using that with glass! Now I just wish I could see the bead that it was used for!

Old 2006-07-03, 2:45pm

I use leather stamps all the time too. The need to have a deep stamp area though, I have used the wax stamps before but find the handles break off,I am going to try this method with them http://www.enamelanimal.net/store/http://www.enamelanimal.net/store/in...iewDoc&docId=5

Last edited by beachbeads; 2006-07-03 at 2:48pm.
Old 2006-07-03, 3:28pm
Following my Dream

Default Polymer clay?

Cheers to all th wonderful ideas. Being brand new to beadmaking ( tomorrow is day 14) I didn't want to purchase too many things at one time. Hubby says I spend alot on all my crafts, so any time I can "make my tools" We are both happy.
Has anyone used Polymer clay for a press? I have a bunch of rubber stamps I can use as an impression in the clay and then bake it to make a mold of sorts. Polymer clay is really cheap and can go pretty far, but does it hold up to the heat?

My name is Margie...and I'm addicted to glass...no...to fire...no...to glass...no...
Old 2006-07-06, 6:44pm
Anna Duhame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCrow
Cheers to all th wonderful ideas. Being brand new to beadmaking ( tomorrow is day 14) I didn't want to purchase too many things at one time. Hubby says I spend alot on all my crafts, so any time I can "make my tools" We are both happy.
Has anyone used Polymer clay for a press? I have a bunch of rubber stamps I can use as an impression in the clay and then bake it to make a mold of sorts. Polymer clay is really cheap and can go pretty far, but does it hold up to the heat?

Hi Lady Crow!

The polymer clay won't hold up to the heat. I haven't tried it, but regular fired clay or plaster of paris might hold up.

Hang in there with your bead making...I've been at it for less than a year, you will be amazed at how quickly your skill grows!

Old 2006-07-06, 9:15pm

You can use cake decorating tips to impress small circles - works great
Old 2006-07-07, 11:38am
Following my Dream

Awesome...I love homemade tools! I went to Harbor Freight Tools yesterday, and looked for along time. Do all the tools HAVE to be SS ? I bought some dental tools and a cute little anvil, but the welding rods they had were not Stainless and had a coating on them. None of the pliers looked right. I left spending less then $20.00.( hubby thinks that's cool ) lol

My name is Margie...and I'm addicted to glass...no...to fire...no...to glass...no...
Old 2006-07-07, 12:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCrow
Awesome...I love homemade tools! I went to Harbor Freight Tools yesterday, and looked for along time. Do all the tools HAVE to be SS ? I bought some dental tools and a cute little anvil, but the welding rods they had were not Stainless and had a coating on them. None of the pliers looked right. I left spending less then $20.00.( hubby thinks that's cool ) lol
I use the the dental tools- they work well!
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Old 2006-07-07, 10:02pm

Great idea....thanks!!!!

(website in construction)
Old 2006-07-12, 6:31am
Hopeless glass addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by playswithfire104
I assume this is the tool used with sealing wax for sealing envelopes?

~Mendy

Happiness is roasting glass with your best friend!

Old 2006-07-12, 6:39am

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindance
I assume this is the tool used with sealing wax for sealing envelopes?
Exactly!
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Old 2006-07-12, 7:12pm
FreeAssociatesVeryFreely

Something else which works is to find a heavily textured large button....vintage ones are great..mix up some casting plaster,{ the base of a pint milk carton, about 2" deep, is an excellent size } when it begins to firm up, press the face of the button into the middle os the surface as deeply as possible without plaster going over the edge. Pull out the button when it is firmed and allow the plaster to sit to dry fully for a couple of days, during which time you can make changes to the mold... use a dremel tool to add more texture or deepen an area. when fully dry ,paint a light coating of bead release...Heat up the end of your glass rod commensurate with the size of your mold...when it is nice and hot, press it into the mold, pushing from one end to the other with any tool which works for you... i use a big piece of graphile.Pull it from the mold... still attached to its rod, attach a small glass punty to the bottom,go back to the torch{full slow reheat} pull the rod out to form a loop, burn that off...there is your pendant. if it works out well, use the glass piece as the positive for your next molds. To do this as a bead, just form your rounded bead, center and press it into the mold. softly flattening the backside, to make a lovely lenticular bead....
Old 2006-07-12, 7:18pm
FreeAssociatesVeryFreely

Quote:
I use the the dental tools- they work well!
I buy my SS rods at the welding supply store.....

A 1 # tube of 1/16 rods...32 3' long rods....for about $10.00
A 1 # tube of 3/32 SS rods { 16} is pretty much the same... they are clean and ready to go....just cut them to your preferred lengths and blaze away !

www.glassArtists.org/niveditaphoenixrising
Old 2006-07-12, 10:14pm

I've wondered about this process before- do you not find the bead release sticking in the wrong places?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivedita
Something else which works is to find a heavily textured large button....vintage ones are great..mix up some casting plaster,{ the base of a pint milk carton, about 2" deep, is an excellent size } when it begins to firm up, press the face of the button into the middle os the surface as deeply as possible without plaster going over the edge. Pull out the button when it is firmed and allow the plaster to sit to dry fully for a couple of days, during which time you can make changes to the mold... use a dremel tool to add more texture or deepen an area. when fully dry ,paint a light coating of bead release...Heat up the end of your glass rod commensurate with the size of your mold...when it is nice and hot, press it into the mold, pushing from one end to the other with any tool which works for you... i use a big piece of graphile.Pull it from the mold... still attached to its rod, attach a small glass punty to the bottom,go back to the torch{full slow reheat} pull the rod out to form a loop, burn that off...there is your pendant. if it works out well, use the glass piece as the positive for your next molds. To do this as a bead, just form your rounded bead, center and press it into the mold. softly flattening the backside, to make a lovely lenticular bead....
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Old 2006-07-13, 12:03am
Hopeless glass addict!

Question

Quote:
I've wondered about this process before- do you not find the bead release sticking in the wrong places?
I'll bet it depends on the type of release. What kind of bead release do you use, nivedita? Your mold-making idea sounds like fun!

~Mendy

Happiness is roasting glass with your best friend!