Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-11-10, 11:25pm

Default What do you do with shards?

I have seen a lot of talk and tuts on blowing shards, but what do you do with them after the are made? Pictures anyone?
Old 2011-11-11, 4:14am
Hello?

You use shards to add interesting shapes, colors or effects on beads.

Just a warning, once you start using them, you'll never be able to stop

Example of silvered ivory shards on a bead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-11-11, 4:07pm

I'll admit it, I'm an addict, I love making and using shards.

Here's one I made yesterday.

Old 2011-11-11, 4:13pm
Hello?

Dawn, that bead is gorgeous!

Old 2011-11-11, 4:22pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvenueBeads View Post
Dawn, that bead is gorgeous!

Thanks very much!

Old 2011-11-11, 4:50pm

Almost all of my beads these days feature shards. I'm addicted too!

Old 2011-11-11, 5:04pm
Happy Inner Dragon

And some different effects:

Be very, very careful. Blowing and using shards is highly addictive. The warnings are very clear

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2011-11-11, 5:39pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Oh yes, you do oh yes you do oh yes you do oh yes you do oh yes you do oh yes you do.

SRA# P107
Old 2011-11-11, 5:55pm

wow, Very impressive answers. They are all so beautiful!. Thank you all.
Old 2011-11-11, 6:07pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightdreams View Post
OK where is the best place to find them ?
There are vendors here on LE - check out the Sale Rack section, and of course you can make your own.
I use both my own and bought shards.

SRA# P107
Old 2011-11-12, 11:56am
Formerly Deesigned Beads

I blow my own shards. Some samples of what i did with them:

Old 2011-11-12, 12:01pm
Hello?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightdreams View Post
OK where is the best place to find them ?
Pick your poison
http://www.avenuebeads.com/index.php...&cPath=6_13_14

Old 2011-11-12, 8:18pm
Duchess of Dichro

Check out Joe's shard tutorials when you want to make some cool ones on your own

http://www.etsy.com/listing/85911698...w-glass-shards

Old 2011-11-13, 6:43am
Dark Flower Bead Art

I love the movement I get from using shards in my beads. I'm personally not ashamed to say I'm horribly addicted to Joe's shards. I like using other lampworkers shards and frit because each bead becomes a collaboration between artists. WARNING don't you dare go into Avenue Beads website unless you are willing to develop an instant addiction.
Cara

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2011-11-13, 7:22am
Loving learning

I have some pretty green shards I received in a RBOG a while back. I tried using some, but they turned black. Is that my technique (or lack of) would you think? Is there anything different I need to be aware of when applying shards?
Old 2011-11-13, 8:24am
lurking on LE since 2005

What I love about shards (buying them that is, I exploded a bubble in a Jen Geldard class and never made another one after that scared the crap out of me...) is that you get such a nice bead for little effort on your part:

Blue Lagoon shards from Avenue Beads over a swirled mix of dark ivory and Yellow ice base with a few strands of silvered ivory stringer doodled at the edges of the shard, a few twists, then encased. Looks like ocean waves..

J-55

Check out my Encasing and HOLLOW tri-color Tutorials in my Etsy shop-and my NEW encased, layered, feathered bead!

Old 2011-11-17, 12:43pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

That bead is GORGEOUS Charmaine!

~
~

#M-191
Old 2011-11-18, 7:33am
lurking on LE since 2005

thanks! if only I could get it to do that more than once....

J-55

Check out my Encasing and HOLLOW tri-color Tutorials in my Etsy shop-and my NEW encased, layered, feathered bead!

Old 2011-11-18, 8:28am
Lampworkaholic!

This is made with some of Joe's shards ... *Like Midnight Fireflies*

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-11-18, 8:31am
lurking on LE since 2005

love that. now I need more shards. thanks a lot...

J-55

Old 2011-11-18, 12:20pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Joe needs to put some more tuts in his Etsy shop!! All gone!!
Old 2011-11-20, 7:54pm

I like to use silver glasses (Gaia and psych mostly) on ivory for reactions and colors that pop.
Attached Images

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2011-11-21, 1:12pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Mary what colour is that? it's very ethereal I love it.

thanks

namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-11-21, 3:42pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Lara, those beads are absolutely gorgeous! I especially love the last one, that blue makes me melt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
I like to use silver glasses (Gaia and psych mostly) on ivory for reactions and colors that pop.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2011-11-21, 5:12pm
Formerly FishBulb

I finally got the hang of blowing shards just a couple of weeks ago and am using them in everything now. I pulled a gorgeous black heart with a Chase rose murrini and some great pink shards out of the kiln but haven't photographed it yet. Meanwhile here are a few examples of the shards I've been making and using:

Name:  P1040225.jpg
Views: 1817
Size:  41.4 KB
Name:  P1040204.jpg
Views: 1730
Size:  59.0 KB
Name:  P1040205.jpg
Views: 1695
Size:  60.8 KB

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2011-11-21, 5:39pm
Loving learning

Lovely!
Old 2011-11-21, 5:45pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Vivian

-

Old 2011-11-21, 6:07pm
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

I've discovered shards and I love the effects you can get. These are all shards from Avenue Beads. I haven't tried blowing my own shards "yet"...but I will!

Contributing member of the EPIC FLOUNCE thread 2013
Proud member of YOU PEOPLE thread.
Old 2011-11-22, 8:12pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tumblingdragonz View Post
Mary what colour is that? it's very ethereal I love it.

thanks

namaste
Rowyn
Thanks ya'll. I think it is psych.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2012-04-20, 10:48am

Can I use shards of a different COE, like Frit?

Thanks!
Cheryl