LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2010-06-14, 5:04am
boro color bender

I cover a lot about how i get my colors and some encasing techniques in Volume 1... i cover even more of that in volume two, plus ad the shaping information... one really builds on the other. I'm planning these, so that it's complete, start to finish and the next one kinda starts where the other leaves off. My goal is to make a set of DVDs that cover everything from the basics on up... well, not "everything"... but everything that I do... so much is possible and no one person can do it "all"... my hope is to be a jump start for folks who are interested in working boro and really give them the knowledge to achieve good results quickly, instead of having to figure it out with trial and error. I see it in peoples work, like Dave up there... just look at the colors he's getting... it's beautiful work and who knows how long it would take to get there if he had to just muddle through and try this or that... that's how i learned... I just kept trying stuff. I love experimenting, but sure would have appreciated a good leg up in the beginning, so more of my work would have been pretty earlier. A lot of the great colors i see people getting are people i know from teaching or people who have bought my DVDs... that's a fantastic feeling... I love being a small part of the boro color revolution.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-06-15, 5:39am
Hot Glass Neophyte

How kind of you to share this info! Thank you much!
Old 2010-06-15, 6:57am
Life is good

Thanks for the compliment Brent. I love this technique. I have also been able to use it in other things as well. You are right in the fact that I would still be lost without the guidance that you provide in the DVD. Keep up the great work and I look forward to seeing all the new stuff in all your DVDs

Old 2010-06-16, 8:35pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

is volume one available? I only see volume two.

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2010-06-17, 4:37am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
Step one, get yourself a ball of glass one the end of a punty. The design is up to you.

Next, squish it flat like a lollipop... different thickness will yield different hearts.

This is the super secret step I've never revealed before... take a pair of $1 scissors from the office supply store (plastic handles, stainless blades). Heat up the gather again and cut it from top to bottom of the pancake.

Now you put it back in the fire and shape... This is easier shown than explained, so hopefully I can get some pics...

When you have the lobes the shape you want, hang the whole thing upside down and turn in the flame. Direct most of the heat towards the bottom and let droop. The top lobes will fall together and the bottom will stretch out.

Once you have the general shape you want, you just have to put on a loop. Normally one lobe is higher and that's the one I put the loop on.

For the loop, I put about a half inch of rod on the spot I want the hoop to be on. Then I heat the glass and flip with pliers into a loop. Again, this would be easier to show than to tell.

Melt in the backside of the loop and reheat to shape as desired.

Now, punty up with a cold weld to the loop.

Pull off and shape the bottom of the heart, hold loop with pliers or tweezers and snap off cold welded punty. Fire polish the punty mark and behold the beauty you just made...

May I ask some questions? I am on a Hothead but I would like to try this on a small scale.

1. How big is the punty compared to the ball of glass?

2. Do you cut from the bottom of the flat lollipop straight toward the center of the punty with the scissors?

3. Do you have the lobes develop on either side of the punty - when do you remove it? Can you orient me please?

Thank so much for sharing this info!
Old 2010-06-20, 3:40am
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyhorton View Post
is volume one available? I only see volume two.

http://www.brentgraber.com/catalog.php?category=15

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-06-20, 3:41am
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post
May I ask some questions? I am on a Hothead but I would like to try this on a small scale.

1. How big is the punty compared to the ball of glass?

2. Do you cut from the bottom of the flat lollipop straight toward the center of the punty with the scissors?

3. Do you have the lobes develop on either side of the punty - when do you remove it? Can you orient me please?

Thank so much for sharing this info!
http://www.brentgraber.com/catalog.php?category=24

Old 2010-06-27, 9:33am

Default first attempt.

Thanks Brent! This was soft glass. I'm excited to get my first order of boro to try it with. Your tutorial and the pictures helped a bunch. Looking forward to ordering your videos!

Last edited by hikingfortruth; 2010-06-27 at 9:44am.
Old 2010-07-12, 10:20am

Default Awesome Videos!

Just got both your videos. They are great! It really helps to see you do all the steps. Will be posting the heart I made out of soft glass after watching volume 2. I still need to order some tools and boro to try it with. Can't wait! Thank you for sharing what you have spent so much time to learn!
Old 2010-07-13, 7:52am
boro color bender

I just listed some bags of boro shorts in the sale rack... great way to try boro on a budget.

Can't wait to see the new hearts!

Old 2010-07-13, 12:53pm

Brent,
I posted this in the boro room but figure you'll see it here. My first heart:
Your DVD rocks! I just wish I could take a class with you. You make boro fun and I just started trying my hand at it. I had a couple of Ah ha moments after watching the DVD........WELL WORTH IT. If you don't have it already you need to add this to your collection guys. It's the bomb!

Old 2010-07-13, 1:29pm
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadsGoneWild View Post
Brent,
I posted this in the boro room but figure you'll see it here. My first heart:
Your DVD rocks! I just wish I could take a class with you. You make boro fun and I just started trying my hand at it. I had a couple of Ah ha moments after watching the DVD........WELL WORTH IT. If you don't have it already you need to add this to your collection guys. It's the bomb!

Thanks for the kind words... I am so glad it helped... nice job so far... can't wait to see more!

Old 2010-07-21, 6:02pm
Enjoying Life

Hey Brent,

I finally watched your video. I later was working on some marbles and thought I would give a heart a try. Wow, it works! This is the first heart: Dark Multi, striped and dotted with Ruby and encased in Yellow.

Both videos are great!
Attached Images

Last edited by Hangs Well; 2010-07-21 at 6:35pm. Reason: pic
Old 2010-07-30, 7:14am
boro color bender

GREAT shaping and color Dave!

Old 2010-10-01, 12:46pm
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by malem View Post
Hey thanks for the initial tutorial! This sounds so much fun!!
can't wait to try tomorrow! I just got my new GTT Lynx on 2 oxys and am barely starting off boro. LOVE it so far!

Thanks a lot for bringing this tutorial back up on top so I could find it!!!

Those hearts are so beautiful!

Will try to post pics when I have hearts!!
Quote:
I have been making hearts! 2 sessions!
It is SO MUCH fun!!
I really now found how to use gravity and dance with the melting glass. This is amazing and great fun. I took pics, just need to bring them to the computer and post them now.
I will try tomorrow.
thanks!!!!
Quote:
as promised, here are the pics. Sorry they are not great pictures and they don,t do justice to the colors but it will give you an idea!
Just saw your tutorial in Glassline...

Old 2010-10-02, 7:16am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Now THATS a profound quote! Thanks for posting it!

On the glassy side of life, could you please tell where to get the hole puncher for the top of your hearts?
Old 2010-10-02, 8:27am
boro color bender

I use a few different ones of the same style, depending on what I'm making a hole in... the ones I use most often for my hearts are Peters Tweezers... http://www.arrowsprings.com/html/rake_poke_tools.html

Old 2010-10-02, 8:32am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you kindly!
Old 2010-10-14, 4:10am
boro color bender

any time...

Old 2010-11-04, 11:13am
Life is good

Thought I'd post my latest " Mr. Smiley hearts " .
Attached Images

Old 2010-11-04, 2:09pm
Loving learning

Gorgeous!
I didn't read the entire thread, but I did read several pages, and what a great technique!
Now I'm wondering if when I buy a torch I need to be able to do boro someday....
Old 2010-11-19, 1:14pm
Glass Savant

Thanks for the easy tutorial. I'm new to flame work (just got a hothead 2 weeks ago) and I was able to knock out some nice looking hearts with these instructions.

(all Devardi glass)

Thanks again.
Old 2010-11-19, 2:01pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelovins View Post
Thought I'd post my latest " Mr. Smiley hearts " .

You have just got it going ON Dave, SUCH nice work *Sigh* !

And you keep up your good work User Savant! Can't wait to watch you develop!
Old 2010-12-12, 3:13pm
boro color bender

y'all are rock stars!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 2010-12-16, 5:10pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I cannot believe I am just finding this now! Holy smokes. I just made my very first Mr Smiley heart... it's in the kiln. I'll post pics tomorrow or the next day. Off to make more! Yay!

Old 2010-12-16, 6:15pm
boro color bender

Awesome Donna! Can't wait to see it!

Old 2010-12-16, 7:59pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I'm stoked, I think my last one in the kiln was the best... but I'm still trying to get the little tip pulled out far enough so the "cut" runs the length of the heart. Not quite Mr Smiley hearts but I'm tryin'!

Old 2010-12-17, 2:47pm
boro color bender

Yay!

Old 2010-12-17, 3:04pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Well, I have them in my hot little hand but I'm not that thrilled. Can you give me a tip on how to get the cut to pull all the way down to point of the heart? Please?

Maybe I have heat more at the middle to bottom then pull it out. I just really like the way yours looks with cut pulled all the way down. I'm looking at the one I got from you so I know the way they're "supposed" to look.

Old 2010-12-17, 3:12pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Don't laugh...