No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-06-18, 6:05pm
Administrator

Default Where do you buy your glass?

I was just curious as to where you buy your glass and frit.

Also, how much do you normally order at once?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-06-18, 6:11pm
Detail G-Mama!

Luckily we have a local glass shop, Blue Moon Glassworks, where I get to pick and choose the glass. That's where I buy all my glass!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-06-18, 6:34pm
just another tool fool...

We order from Flametree, Islandglass!!!, Jodel and buy some locally at the Emerald Rainbow in Clearwater...usually 1 lb per color at a time($200-$300 order total), but I have been known to buy more if I can actually touch the glass...most tactile people will spend more if given the opportunity to fondle the glass(hint,hint!). Mmust....have.....more....glassssss.......

The local stained glass store had their leftover glass rods "on sale", trying to unload them and offered me a deal at $1.75 a rod...I just smiled sweetly and said , "No, thank you." Yikes!

Click banner for my Etsy:

Old 2005-06-18, 7:04pm
Booger #7

hmmmm...I usually buy from Bill on Ebay or Jo-Del or Frantz or I go to my local stained glass place if it is an emergency, but it is a bit pricy. I'm trying to wrangle my dh into a trip to his sister's in Denver, so I can head over to glasscraft though before we trade off my minivan for a car!

Sue H-K

Old 2005-06-18, 7:21pm
koregon

We have bought pretty much all from Frantz. They are so close we get our orders really quick...when ordering 100 pound you get a pretty good discount/%. I have ordered from Bill and he was great/did that one time (he had some red copper green at the time, and I ordered some more while I was at it since he could ship a certain amt of glass for the same price as one)...I have ordered from Olympic Color Rod a couple kilo's of frit at a time. And do occasionally buy frit from Val. Bought at shows from Arrowsprings/a bullseye assort...and in person at Bullseye an assortment (why? I dont know, I haven't used it)

but large glass orders, Frantz...I call and talk to them in person on the phone and ask about colors and find out what color is the batch right now etc....and beg and plead for CLEAR clear...since we buy ten pounds at a wack for Dan.

I normally order two big orders a year that reach around $1,000 each. sometimes less, sometimes more

Last edited by Kaye; 2005-06-18 at 8:00pm.
Old 2005-06-18, 7:49pm
Princess of Pi

Generations Glass - Kristian gives good discounts for members of some online sites (an EZboard lampwork site and WC are the ones I know about)

Frantz - they're local

JoDel - easy online ordering

Flametree Glass - they seem to have better stock of unusual colors, like silver plum

and this guy - http://www.brandieglass.com/id21.html - has great prices and good service

my orders are usually $50-$300
Old 2005-06-18, 8:04pm

I order from Bill & Donnelle mostly, but I have ordered from Jo-Del and purple from GlassDaddy...
Elizabeth
Old 2005-06-18, 8:30pm
Life in the slow lane

I'm in the same area as Anne and I also visit Blue Moon quite frequently. I adore Jim & Rose and try to support my local stores as much as possible. I love hand picking my rods at times.

However, when I want large quantities and have a big order I go through Frantz. I have purchased almost all my frits from Val Cox of glasspoet.com. I have purchased from Bill on eBay and that was great. I was purchasing from another previously mentioned eBay seller but that has come to a scalding stop. I love glassdaddy with his Lauscha and checkglass.com for Czech. I also purchase System 96 and BE from Kalera who's service is unbelievably one of the best. I love her beads too!

Old 2005-06-18, 8:35pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Big YAY for Kalera!!!! http://www.beadwife.com She's a GEM! I am quickly becoming addicted to Bullseye and Uroboros.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2005-06-18, 8:54pm

Kalera for all my Uroboros needs.

Frantz for all my Italian needs.

Val for all my handpulled gaffer needs and frits.

Olympic color rods for my Reichenbach cane needs.

Glass Daddy if I need Lauscha.

I've bought bits here and there, but these folks have been professional and worked out well for me...

My Daughter and Husband Wrote a book.

The Car Catch-all...the most useful non-lampworking item ever!
Old 2005-06-18, 9:23pm
Life in the slow lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribeads
Big YAY for Kalera!!!! http://www.beadwife.com She's a GEM! I am quickly becoming addicted to Bullseye and Uroboros.
Kalera rocks! I just love that gal.

Old 2005-06-18, 9:56pm
Administrator

Wow, I just looked on Kalera's site and I am drooling over the Bird of Paradise and Rose Tea Bullseye!!! I may have to order

Old 2005-06-19, 1:15am
Piscean Fire Goddess

Here in the Netherlands, I buy my glass from JanHein van Stiphout and Margriet Schoenmaker.
www.stipglas.com

- SJS Glasswork & Creations
Exploring a philosophical fantasy world.
Old 2005-06-19, 7:40am

Arrow Springs is just 45 minutes away, and let me tell you, it is REALLY hard to resist when you can pick your own rods! My last purchase was at least $200. (Bulk Buy- NorCal SGB). Frantz comes in second- hard to find colors. And Jo-del has my favorite on-line shopping (pictures and descriptions). And then, trading with my glass pimp-(tress) is a hoot (thanks N.)

Good ol' Val for frit, GGGlass next. But honestly, trading with my friends is my favorite method.

Peace Out,
Vanessa
Old 2005-06-19, 6:09pm
odd lot addict

I use Bill at Moretti & More or Galaxy Glass . . . I hate to admit that I run up to the "local" stained glass shop once or twice a month where prices are ridiculous. Val for Frit . . .

Jen
Old 2005-06-19, 6:09pm
I fart diamonds

Flametree Glass locally and artglassdecor on eBay. I hate going to Flametree because I always spend wayyy more than I intend. Maureen and Lance are great!
Old 2005-06-19, 8:29pm
MomOnAMission

For moretti~ either Frantz or Arrowsprings (because of their volume discounts)

Lauscha~Glass Daddy "of course"

Frit~hate to wait, so where ever I can... (frit slut) lol

Tools~Corina & Zoozii (only and will never deviate)
Old 2005-06-19, 9:59pm

M&D Designs in Chinock, Wa, no web site yet but the # is 360-777-8778 FREE SHIPPING. I get my Bulleye, Moretti, and boro from her, and just about everything else like foil and stuff. And sometimes sland Glass , and Olympic colors for frit, I tend to like lag=rge quanities.
Old 2005-06-20, 9:39am
Teagirl

We buy in the UK from Martin Tuffnell of Tuffnell Glass (conveniently named, eh?) for Moretti/Effetre. We also buy from Plowden & Thompson who are a British glass company. From the US we use Islandglass/Moretti&More for everything else mostly. As Mike's still learning and we live in a glassworking vacuum with no one close, he's happy to keep working with the most accessible materials. Eventually when he can study with someone else we may branch out, I'd love to get him some Bullseye but our shed isn't huge and storage is an issue we have to work on.

Our last shipment from Islandglass was around 39 pounds of glass! The customs guys had a field day and the parcel delivery guy was amazed glass could weigh so much for such a small (relatively) package.

Mike has a Minor and two oxycons (the mini-daleks) for torching, having recently moved from a Hot Head on propane.

-Su

'Modern glass - Ancient roots'

Last edited by Su Poole; 2005-06-20 at 9:44am.
Old 2005-06-20, 1:24pm
Redheaded Thread Killer

Well,

Frit:

AlexM (on ebay: besseae) since I can get 1 ounce increments at a wonderful price.

Val because she has beautiful color mixes

Olympic Color Rod for when I know I want a lot (like raku)

Glass:

Mike A at www.auralens.com - great prices and quick shipment - very well packaged to prevent breakage.

I have bought some colors specially from Frantz because they have it in stock.

Also, at the Tucson show I bought a TON of glass from Arrowsprings because they allowed the poundage discount. I got around 400 dollars of glass, which is a &%^#load for me but I knew I would be saving on shipping since I just had to put it in my car and bring it home. I live in Tucson. I'm stocked up for now (at least until I start selling.)

=)

Currently... torch is cold. Not sure when I'll be making glass again. Hothead and Lynx user.
Nothing on
Old 2005-06-20, 3:34pm

Default Islandglass/"Moretti and More".

I buy most of my glass from Islandglass/"Moretti and More". Bill and Donelle are da bomb! They are extremely fast, great packaging, fantastic communication. I found them on ebay, but now I just shoot them a quick email with my glass needs and it's a done deal.

I can't recommend them highly enough. They are awesome!
Old 2005-06-20, 11:40pm

I usually buy from Bill at Moretti & More on ebay, and Frantz. I have also been doing a lot of the odd lots and rare colors on ebay - Galaxy Glass, Jamn, MaxandMe, etc. I also bought some Bullseye from Kalera on her website, and Lauscha from Glassdaddy. I'm sure there are more I haven't mentioned, but these are the most current.

Old 2005-06-30, 8:20pm
HOt WArm COld = Howaco

I usually buy from...

...me!

Old 2005-06-30, 11:19pm
Viking Flame Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JameyLynn
I usually buy from...

...me!
And I buy from you!

I also buy glass from GlasDesign Volkman in Germany, they have most of what I need as far as ordinary colours go. Handpulled and commercial stringers I buy from JameyLynn.
Frit mostly from Val Cox.

/Kikki
Old 2005-07-01, 2:41am
sunscreen me baby

Quote:
I usually buy from...

...me!
You do have fantastic prices! I love that you don't require a minimum But mostly I love that you actually hand picked my special shade of carnelian for me Talk about customer service! Thanks.

~

Old 2005-07-01, 10:04am

I am learning about glass shopping. So Frantz is a given since we can drive there. Than I have bought at the local stained glass shop in Burien,Wa. I got my set up and gift certificate at Christmas time from The Beadman. Barcaly and I found out he is moving his shop to Cannon Beach so Oregon, support Beadman if you live near. He has been teaching classes in lampwork in the past. Prices are a little high but worth the browse for a couple of items.
vanity
Old 2005-07-01, 2:06pm

I'll throw in Colored Sands (lampworkingsupplies.com ~I think) for Moretti. Especially if you're in the middle of the country. (Or driving distance in my case. ) I used to purchase from Frantz (about 6 years ago) and then Heritage glass because I could get small quantites. Then I realized the economics of buying by the pound, and actually found Colored Sands instead of just hearing about them.

Jo-Del or Glass Daddy for Lauscha. Frit has been from Glass Diversions.

I purchase enough that I feel it justifies the shipping charges. I can't possibly need a pound or two badly enough to pay the minimum charges. I'd say average purcases are about 20 pounds but I've been known to spend $300-500 so depending on the ratio of hand pulled colors, odd lots etc, the number of pounds falls in the 40-50 pound area.

Nancy
(With a note to myself, don't read these threads. Now I have to check out the ones I haven't seen. )
Old 2005-07-03, 6:27pm
Resident Luny

I drive 15-20 min to Bullseye and wander around in bliss.

- artisan lampwork beads, jewelry, and a little bit of rock n' roll.

Be kind to one another. The world needs it more than ever.
Old 2005-07-03, 6:48pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunesse
I drive 15-20 min to Bullseye and wander around in bliss.
You are so lucky to be able to go there in person!

I have an account at Bullseye and buy the vast majority of my BE directly from them. However, with the odd lots they have coming out all of the time now if I want something without waiting to put together a $250.00 order I get it from Kalera - she is just wonderful!

I buy Moretti from Frantz, Arrowsprings, and Glasscraft. I sometimes buy it from Bill at Islandglass!!! He is great to deal with.

I buy my Lauscha from Glassdaddy.

I buy my Uroboros from Arrowsprings.

I buy my frit from Olympic Color Rods and Val - mostly. I have tried Glass Diversions blends and I like them also. Service from all three places is excellent!

I buy my Czech glass from Jan at Check Glass.

I'm sure I am leaving someone out but these are what I can think of right now.

Old 2005-07-04, 7:31pm
one day at a time

Quote:
I usually buy from...

...me!
I buy from you too!

In fact, my next BE order (rods, frits, and more tools!) is going to be from your site, because this glass is making me fall in love with it the more I use it!