No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-09-08, 6:42pm

Default Attaching Silver Mesh to Bead

xx

Last edited by nancewbl; 2014-08-25 at 7:31pm.
Old 2007-09-08, 7:01pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Hi Nancy,
I've just started working with this myself. One thing that really helps is a pair of locking tweezers. I cut my mesh and insert the end of it into the tip of the tweezers. They stay locked until squeezed so the mesh is all ready to use.

When I am ready to apply the mesh I get the surface of the bead where I want to apply it quite hot. Heat that area in the hottest part of the torch until it has a red-orange glow. This takes a little practice to just get the surface hot without otherwise deforming your bead.

Then, pick up your tweezers and stick the end of the mesh into the preheated area of the bead. Squeeze the tweezers to let the mesh go and them use the tweezers to pat your mesh down. Press as firmly as you can without breaking the bead off the mandrel.

Then reintroduce the bead into the flame and make sure you get it hot enough to permanently attach the mesh. Then you are either done or you can encase as usual.

I've been working with silver wire for years and I was quite surprised at how hot the bead has to be in order for the mesh to stick. That was probably the biggest hurdle I've had.

Hope this helps!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-09-09, 7:46am
Addicted to Frit!!!

Nancy, Mary Beth gave some great advice. If you need any further help, you can check out my tutorial and a photo tutorial made by Star Colon from my website here: http://www.glassdiversions.com/wire_mesh.html. The links to both are in red right under the 'menu' items.

They are both very informative.

HTH,
Robin

Premium Frit Blends
Check us out on

Last edited by rkoza; 2007-09-09 at 7:49am.