No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2011-01-04, 5:05pm
Unmedicated since '62

Default work bench??

ok, need a new work bench - the last one was an epic fail and is bowing in the middle and catches on fire regularly.

so i want to build one from scratch (i'm obsessive like that) the wall i can put it against is 4 meters long, i need room for my kiln and room to make jewellery as well

i found this site http://www.plansnow.com/workbenchplans.html

i'm thinking something with a return for the kiln but i'm not sure - maybe i need to think outside the box a little cos the kiln takes up so much bench space maybe i could mount it up at eye level

give me some input guys, this is my chance to make it right

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-01-04, 5:18pm
takin the long way 'round

This is a great topic!! We are in the process of moving into our new house and I'm sooooo anxious to get my studio set up so I can torch again!! I was looking to buy a pre-made table with a stainless top, but maybe some other LE members will chime in with their ideas

Old 2011-01-04, 5:35pm
Hat or Cake?

Deb, I have my kiln at right angles to my bench. My bench is a wood counter, about 36" deep, built on top of two wooden open-shelved cabinets - one at each end. The entire bench surface is covered with concrete board and topped with stainless steel. The bench is against a wall and the stainless steel is bent upwards, up the wall, which means that nothing can fall through the back. (I can just sweep or toss glass bits and they can't go anywhere - easy clean up.)

The kiln is on a wooden cabinet that's built higher - more like counter-height - topped (again),with concrete board and stainless steel. My chair is on wheel and swivels. I back up slightly, turn to the right and my kiln opening is at eye level.

I tried the kiln on the workbench, which is only about 2 metres long and found that it needed to be towards the front edge of the bench for easy access. That meant that I had a fair amount of non-usable space behind the kiln that was wasted. Having the kiln on a separate surface and at right-angles, works really well for me.

Good luck with your project! Umm...aren't you selling your house? Is this for a new studio?
Beth
Old 2011-01-04, 5:37pm
Unmedicated since '62

yeah we're selling the house - i'm not building this in, its a freestanding workbench that i'll be able to take with me - although at this rate we'll still be here next year!

i've got the same problem with the kiln, it just takes up too much usable space, i think i'd like it at an agle but at eye height

Old 2011-01-04, 5:43pm
flight risk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
catches on fire regularly
My new workbench is a steel fire door salvaged from a construction site. No worries about a flaming bench here!

Old 2011-01-04, 5:45pm
I <3 My Attitude Problem

Those benches look extremely awesome! I built mine myself- got a door, attached legs, placed dark slate colored 12" tiles along the top of it, and ta-dah! Workbench It's the perfect length and depth for my space, and it was insanely cheap- the door was free- has a hole punched in what is now the underside. The tiles I used to cover the top were from the 2nds hardware store, i think they were $0.12 each, and the legs were from Ikea (One could use shelving or file cabinets- this is also how My mom and I have built our desks) and I believe were $20 something all together. I lean two 24"x30" boards against the wall across from where I sit, which I sprayed with matte black bbq grill spray paint (about $2 from the 2nds hardware store) which acts like a chalkboard now. You can write or draw your ideas out for your torching sessions, I have the right one filled with "recipes" for latticino cane I like having a dark background, helps me see the heat of the glass better.
Here's the onlyl picture I think I have of my bench, please don't mind the low lighting, boyfriend at torch and incredibly messy bench

Find me on

Old 2011-01-04, 5:50pm

I had no problem with the work bench. Two tables that were butcher block topped for the kitchen. Then two that were plastic folding ones from Sams club.Only those weren't for torching. I made an L that you could use the one kiln on the end of the plastic table with concrete board on it.
The other table was the L. It had concrete board with tiles on top.Then I could turn and the other part was for jewelry making.
Really cool. Only now I'm thinking about something else.
Good luck with this new bench. We want to see it please.

Rose Leslie
Old 2011-01-04, 5:58pm
offically down under

Deb, my fancy shmancy table is a sheet of 1/2" MDF with a 1/4" sheet of cement board on top. I got a pair of groovy legs from IKEA. Due to the sloop in my garage, I had to put a fiddle rail along the far edge to keep things from rolling off. You could easily make two tables with the return to hold your kiln and the oxy con fits right under it. Another solution is to find a couple of old desks and just attach the cement board to the top. Then, you not only have everything within your reach, you get some drawer space as well.

Old 2011-01-04, 6:01pm
organically speaking

My bench is a counter-height stainless steel work table from Sam's. It's narrow enough that it doesn't take up too much floor space and just long enough to keep everything handy without crowding me. It has a shelf beneath for extra storage and I just got an awesome kitchen drawer organizer at Ikea this weekend that keeps all of my tools, glasses, presses, etc. handy. It fit perfectly on the bench-top and looks pretty, too!

I keep my kilns on a rolling toolcart from Harbor Freight that actually sits behind me so all I have to do is spin my stool around to reach it. It's handy because I can just roll it elsewhere when I'm not working to get it out of the way.

Old 2011-01-04, 6:08pm
honorary bead lady

Deb what do you have available there in the land down under?

It would be rather easy to buy some kitchen base cabinets, rip a sheet of ply in half and BAM! DONE!

Fire doors make great bench tops
Old 2011-01-04, 6:09pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxMiEkAxxx View Post
I like having a dark background, helps me see the heat of the glass better.
i like the idea of a dark background

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post
Deb, my fancy shmancy table is a sheet of 1/2" MDF with a 1/4" sheet of cement board on top. I got a pair of groovy legs from IKEA. Due to the sloop in my garage, I had to put a fiddle rail along the far edge to keep things from rolling off. You could easily make two tables with the return to hold your kiln and the oxy con fits right under it. Another solution is to find a couple of old desks and just attach the cement board to the top. Then, you not only have everything within your reach, you get some drawer space as well.
my current bench is two 16mm x 1800 x 600 sheets of mdf sandwiched together and it still bowed!! I recently added some support beams underneath but i'm still not happy - i can still use the mdf but i need way better supports cos it feels wobbly, also, i really need somewhere to set up my jewellery making stuff, jewellers torch, dremel etc so i can have somewhere to work without having to put it away all the time - i almost need to double the length so i figured i'd just build a whole new bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid Glass View Post
I keep my kilns on a rolling toolcart from Harbor Freight that actually sits behind me so all I have to do is spin my stool around to reach it. It's handy because I can just roll it elsewhere when I'm not working to get it out of the way.
i like that idea too - i'll have to see if i can find a rolling cart

Old 2011-01-04, 6:11pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
Deb what do you have available there in the land down under?

It would be rather easy to buy some kitchen base cabinets, rip a sheet of ply in half and BAM! DONE!

Fire doors make great bench tops
we pretty much have what you have

isnt a door a bit wide for a bench?

Old 2011-01-04, 6:41pm
honorary bead lady

Deb you need to use plywood for the bench top, MDF will only span a couple feet with out bowing. Ummm to wide that's what saws are for.

And you got a Harbor Freight
Old 2011-01-04, 7:08pm
Salt Box Beads

if you have room put the kiln in front of the workbench on a metal roll cart or a kitchen roll cart like this and just move it out of the way when you need to use the workbench for other things.

You will also have created a little more glass storage room. You could cover the top with sheet metal.
Attached Images

Old 2011-01-04, 7:32pm

Deb, I just bought a sturdy but battered desk from the second hand shop. Topped it with LARGE tiles for flame proofing and it's been just the best. (check with your local tile retailer, I got my tiles for free as they were old samples. They usually just throw them on the tip!)

I don't feel I need to worry about burning or scorching it, becaus it was cheap!

My Kiln sits behind me on an old metal framed school desk that I put a new top on to replace the swollen chipboard one.

Custard...it's just like hot icecream!
Old 2011-01-04, 7:58pm

Just a word of caution on the "return for the kiln" concept. Unless you're absolutely, positively certain this is how you plan to torch forever more, I'd advise against it. I setup my torch desk with a built-in return type idea (although, mine was modular) and I'm glad it could be changed. After a year of using it in that manner, I realized that it wasn't working out so well and changed things up. It's now on a mobile stand that I can move about and turn 365 degrees if I want. I'm so glad it's not such a fixture anymore. It's opened up huge possibilities for multiple torches etc. going forward as well! So, if you want the return, make it modular so you don't grow to feel "boxed in".

FTR, I've always loved wrap around desks. It doesn't work as well for me with a torch atop. YMMV.
Old 2011-01-04, 9:06pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Deb you need to use plywood for the bench top, MDF will only span a couple feet with out bowing. Ummm to wide that's what saws are for.

And you got a Harbor Freight
nope, but similar

actually what dont like about MDF is the smell when it burns

i bought some huge floor tiles to use on the new bench

Old 2011-01-04, 9:08pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by one hot beader View Post
Deb, I just bought a sturdy but battered desk from the second hand shop. Topped it with LARGE tiles for flame proofing and it's been just the best. (check with your local tile retailer, I got my tiles for free as they were old samples. They usually just throw them on the tip!)

I don't feel I need to worry about burning or scorching it, becaus it was cheap!

My Kiln sits behind me on an old metal framed school desk that I put a new top on to replace the swollen chipboard one.
i have a great old desk that i use now, maybe i'll add some castors to it so i can move it easily

Old 2011-01-04, 9:57pm
honorary bead lady

I asked about HF because they have a wooden woodworking bench and you cant build it for the price they want for it
Old 2011-01-04, 11:42pm
Tired but joyful!!

I've used a large old metal desk with bunches of draws, etc. But I like to be able to stand up sometimes. So I got someone to build me a taller one and I have to sit in a bar stool, but I can stand up. He used all 2x4's, for frame (with bottom shelf/foot rest) and top. With a piece of sheet metal that was already precut at lowes bolted down with the torch to the top. Perfect and cheap and no biggy to leave behind and build an other. Oh and those ceramic tiles from habitat are awesome and look great and cheap, too, for the top.

Buy from those you love, to give to those you love.

Last edited by AnnieQ; 2011-01-04 at 11:44pm.
Old 2011-01-04, 11:47pm
I like to melt things

It feels wrong to do this, since I've had so much trouble with them getting my bookshelf, but I bought a metal table from Ikea and I am thrilled with it.

I can put glass down on it without worrying about having anything underneath and my creation station just clamps onto it (although you need to be careful not to overtorque the C-clamps because the table top isn't metal underneath).

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S69871067

-
-
Old 2011-01-05, 6:44am
organically speaking

Quote:
I asked about HF because they have a wooden woodworking bench and you cant build it for the price they want for it
I'm usually the one who re-purposes, modifies an old piece or builds what I need, but I have to agree about Harbor Freight. I got my rolling tool-cart there for almost nothing. It's large enough to hold a bead kiln and my large paragon kiln on the top, has a storage shelf below, is incredibly sturdy but can be easily rolled to wherever I need it and I think I paid about $30 for it.

Old 2011-01-05, 10:01am
Curmudgeon Engineering

How about one of those metal tool boxes on wheels for your kiln. I use one that is just the right height and has 5 or 6 drawers for tools, etc and I have 2 kilns setting on top. Cost me like $50 at Sears scratch and dent section.
Old 2011-01-05, 11:58am
Unmedicated since '62

hmmm - the local equivalent of HF is Bunnings i guess - rolling tool box is about $300

Old 2011-01-05, 6:42pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Woah!!!
Even the perfect ones here are less than $125.
Mayhaps we are talking about different things? There was some discussion and pics of the 'tool box' in question on here not long ago. I suck at finding things here but I bet David can and will ASAP. Hey David???

Found it. Look in Christmas Cart, a couple threads down

PJ

Last edited by cheng076; 2011-01-05 at 6:45pm.
Old 2011-01-05, 8:50pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
Woah!!!
Even the perfect ones here are less than $125.
Mayhaps we are talking about different things? There was some discussion and pics of the 'tool box' in question on here not long ago. I suck at finding things here but I bet David can and will ASAP. Hey David???

Found it. Look in Christmas Cart, a couple threads down

PJ
yep - saw that too, perfect huh?

here it is to buy locally - http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_...07.aspx?page=8

Old 2011-01-05, 8:55pm
Unmedicated since '62

i did find this though

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_...06.aspx?page=6

Old 2011-01-05, 9:01pm
organically speaking

Oooh, that looks kinda like my workbench, only mine has a storage shelf below and a stainless steel top and I think I paid about $100 for it at Sam's last year. Do you have big-box stores there?

Old 2011-01-05, 9:42pm

That rolling table for the kiln is such a good idea! I am going to do that now....well as soon as it stops raining and flooding and hubby moves all his crap out of my room.

Finding the perfect place to put the kiln is such a problem so having it on wheels seems a great solution.

Kym
Old 2011-01-05, 9:55pm
Cancer SUCKS!

What about this for your kiln?

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_...px?search=cart