Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-06-29, 7:55pm
Double Trouble!!

Default Depth Perception Question?!?!?!

Hi Everybody!
I'm a Newbie, lampworking off and on in my spare time (HAHA!) for
about 6 months. I was cross eyed as a child, I had surgery, but never
developed any depth perception. Does anyone else lack depth perception?
Do you have any suggestions or ideas that may help when lampworking?
Thanks!!!!
Old 2006-06-29, 8:01pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Wow, I just learned about how people with monovision can regain binocular vision.

http://www.wildirisoptometry.com/brock_string.htm

Ask you optomotrist about the "Brock String". I recently heard a woman who regained her binocular vision at age 50. Like you she has been cross-eyed as a baby and had monovision all of her life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-06-29, 8:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierces*designs
Wow, I just learned about how people with monovision can regain binocular vision.

http://www.wildirisoptometry.com/brock_string.htm

Ask you optomotrist about the "Brock String". I recently heard a woman who regained her binocular vision at age 50. Like you she has been cross-eyed as a baby and had monovision all of her life.
Debbie... are you an NPR junky? They did a story about that this week!

Regarding depth perception... I think that my beadmaking abilities vary depending on my eyewear. I'm 45, very nearsited, and in recent years have needed reading glasses. The funny thing about my loss of near vision is that my near vision is much better without my contacts than with them.

One day I was having a terrible time with some encased florals. I was wearing my contacts that day. My eyes were tired, so I switched to glasses. My floral skills improved dramatically! So I think which eyewear combo (contact+readers, glasses+readers, no reader) I choose effects my depth perception, which effects my bead making. Unfortuantely I think it also varies with how tired my eyes are and how long I've been wearing my contacts that day (my lenses are rigid). The reading glasses usually seem to help a bunch. Some days I think Ido better blind...no contact or glasses, just my reading glasses.

I suppose everone is different so you'll have to figure out what works for you!
Old 2006-06-29, 9:22pm
bailey, my golden girl

Also it helped me to use black high heat tolerant spray paint on the surface in front of my torch and on the worksurface I use. I can see where the end of the flame is now!!!
Good luck to you.

karla.p
Old 2006-06-29, 10:20pm
More ideas than talent

I don't have depth perception either (same deal, cross eyed and the corrective surgery).

Problem is, if you've never had it how do you know what you're missing?

I think it takes slightly longer for me to judge distances, but I generally apply that thought to my driving rather than beadmaking.

Off to check out Debbie's link....

Old 2006-06-29, 10:34pm
The Crazy One

My eyes are all messed up, distance and side to side, but I have delt with it all of my life. My brain has sorted it out (bwhahaha). The only time I have a problem with it is when the eye Dr.'s try to correct it! Umm ya you can correct the distance thang, but the side to side (Opposite of crossed eyed) don't mess with that or I'll hurt myself walking down the hall!!! They never seam to want to do one and not the other, they refuse... So I would rather be the simi blind non walking into wall person that I am... Thank you very much! Grrrrrrrr Dr's!!!!!!
Old 2006-06-30, 7:24am
Embracing My Wonkiness

My depth perception is not at all good. My eyes aren't good, period! I can't see close up or at a distance clearly, so I have to wear bifocals.

It seems my depth perception is way off, and things are still blury, when I'm trying to torch looking through my reading prescription...so that's no good.

What's working the best for me so far is to look through my distance prescription and wear an Optivisor #3 over them. http://www.jewelrysupply.com/index.p...oducts_id=4507

Unfortunetly I have to also sandwhich the didymium glasses inbetween my prescription glasses and the Optivisor. It's a LOT to wear and it isn't very comfortable. But it's the only thing that allows be to see what the heck I'm doing. I tried the didymium shield but that was a mess! It totally gets in the way on the bench and made the depth perception problem much worse!

I need to have my prescription changed again. I have an appointment on the 7th of July. At that point I'm going to talk to some folks locally, who I know can create didymium lenses for me. And what I'm hoping is that I can get the magnification that the #3 Optivisor offers, done in didymium lenses that will clip on to a pair of glasses that have my bifocal prescription in them.

Another option would be to get the didy's done in my prescription and then continue to wear the Optivisor, but my prescription continues to change year after year so the didy's could end up defunked pretty quickly. It makes more sense to have the didy's done in a way that they don't need to change and just change the bifocal script as needed.

Magnifier didymiums, that flip up and down, fitted onto a pair of my prescription bifocal glasses would be perfect. That way I can flip them down to see the torch, and flip them back up to see what the heck I'm looking for on the bench, and what's around me at a distance. I hope someone can make that happen for me. I'll post in a another week and let ya know.

Lil
Old 2006-06-30, 9:30am
Missing presumed fed

Heather, I think I've seen people asking this question from time to time. If you don't get any helpful responses, check the archives here and at the Glass Art section of wetcanvas.com. A search on "depth perception" might be useful. Normally I'd recommend searching the archives of the ISGB forum, too, but the forum just changed to a new format and I think the archives are still unavailable.

I heard the NPR (National Public Radio) story last week, too. It was a piece about Susan Barry, a college professor who had surgical correction for crossed eyes at age 2. However, because the brain development that would have allowed for depth perception took place while her eyes were still (technical term) messed up, she had no depth perception. At about age 50, through a combination of special glasses and exercises, she retrained herself to see depth. There's an essay about her in the June 19th issue of the New Yorker magazine by Oliver Sacks, the neurologist who wrote "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat." Here's a link to the NPR story. You have to click on the "Listen" link to hear the story -- it's not all reproduced in the text.

NPR story on Susan Barry

My brother has monocular vision. Same situation -- crossed eyes, surgery when he was a baby, both of his eyes work but he has no depth perception. It wasn't until I heard this story that I understood how he managed to have two functioning eyes but no depth perception. I e-mailed him the link about the story but haven't heard back from him about it.