Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-10-06, 11:16pm

Default opals???

Why do I always see opals being sold on sites that sell glass?

What do people do with these opals?

TIA.

Joanna
Old 2006-10-06, 11:47pm
product of the universe

ya can encase em in clear which magnifies em. To do that drop the opal down a piece of 9.5 tubing and heat the air out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2006-10-07, 1:10am
Mitzy

It might be because setting opals is sort of like setting glass? I mean, you have to be careflu about heat and such? Dunno. I work with opals some and they do seem to complement glass and the other way around, but I have just started working with glass, so....
Old 2006-10-07, 1:34am
-boring beads-

Doh! Really?
You can encase opals with clear boro?
I do have a jar full of little opal chips (noodling in Coober Pedy...yay...does it only work with a tube or can I just encase it?

Anastasia
(no clue of boro...just attracted by the word "opals"....lol)
Old 2006-10-07, 4:51am
Formerly Fireflyartglass

you know that really sux....someone who lives in Germany has been to Coober Pedy and I havn't and I goddam live here in Australia??? Anastasia has been EVERYWHERE she got tha travel bug!!!
Old 2006-10-07, 4:59am
McAfee Art Glass

The opals that are sold at some glass sites are synthetic and formulated to work with glass, and still need to be worked with care, other man made and natural opals will not work in glass.

Dave

Old 2006-10-07, 5:08am
boro color bender

It has to be Gilson opal... man made... not opals you found. I get mine from Profound Glass... they are the best! Nate will hook you up!

www.profoundglass.com

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-10-07, 6:03am
-boring beads-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflyartglass
you know that really sux....someone who lives in Germany has been to Coober Pedy and I havn't and I goddam live here in Australia??? Anastasia has been EVERYWHERE she got tha travel bug!!!
Lol...I know...that´s a serious disease...
You´re predestinated to catch it way more likely if being fenced in for more than 20 years and not being allowed to travel anywhere (like growing up in former Eastern Germany......)...
Once you caught that bug, the symptoms are really serious...since they´ll always leave you totally broken....haha...
But...one needs a reason to work, right?....lol

Why dontcha just take a car and drive there...that´s what I did...once landed in Australia...

Anyways...too bad...I really thought it could work with boro. It doesn´t work with softglass though.. I´ve tried.
Would have been soooo pretty...they´re sparkling.....

Anastasia
Old 2006-10-07, 7:24am

Thanks...I am SO very glad I asked.
I think I'll be going on a binge very soon! lol

Chris or Smiley, any pics of examples? I'd love to see!

Joanna
Old 2006-10-07, 8:40am
Boro Brat

Talking

Here's one I did a while ago...I sandwiched it between 2 rods and then melted it onto the belly. I think using a tube would be a LOT easier They are fun!

Old 2006-10-07, 9:37am
tweetysweetie

This is a Profound Glass opal I purchased a couple years ago, and placed in a boro pendant. However, the glass I used for decoration fumed over the clear face making it look dulled in appearance but somewhat appealing I think.
Attached Images

Old 2006-10-07, 1:57pm

Sweet, both look beautiful! Can't wait to try it!

Joanna