LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-03-16, 8:10am

Default passing the flame?

Im getting this book for my birthday, why is it so expensive for a book?
ive been told its the ONLY book i would ever need
do you have it? what you think of it? is it worth it?
Old 2007-03-16, 8:18am
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Great book. Don't know why it's so expensive, but there is a wealth of information in it. I've been lampworking for quite sometime and I still go back to it occasionally for inspiration.

Ebay:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-03-16, 8:20am

So expensive? I suppose because of the publishing? Or profit for the author. I can't really guess. I know most of us paid the price (except those who got a used copy) and many still have ours.

It is a good first book. I also liked Dots a lot but I think it is currently out of print. I also like the J. Kervin book(lets) and his book on lampworking.

Do I have it? Yes, two copies (don't ask).
What do I think of it? I love reading about glass. I enjoyed reading it and looking at it. I have not followed the tutorials the way some do so I can't say that it improved my skills. I also took a class with someone about the same time that taught similar things, so I'm not sure I learned that much. But if timing had been different it probably would have been very helpful.

Worth it? I must have thought so because I bought it. Compared to the price of classes now, it would be a good starting point. I think I'll go browse through mine again.

Hope you have a great birthday.
Old 2007-03-16, 8:38am
FireDancer Glass

Yes, worth the money if you are a beginner. Lots of color pictures and step by step. A little humor in it too! It is one I will always keep to go back to. Not sure why it is so spendy?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Christy
Old 2007-03-16, 8:44am
Shine your bright side!

It's a great invetsment and worth every penny.

The cost of publishing and printing books has to do with quantity (not to mention doing color photos bumps the cost up). The more that can be printed at a single press run the better the price. Since lampworking isn't something the masses are interested in (like a Harry Potter book for example) the book is not printed in huge quantities so cost more per book. Educational books often command a higher price. Ever buy a book for college? Talk about expensive.

Website!
"When you discover your mission, you will feel its demand. It will fill you with enthusiasm and a burning desire to get to work on it." - W. Clement Stone
Old 2007-03-16, 8:51am
Nature Coast

It's a wonderful book; my bible when I first started. I still like to go back to it every now and then.

Old 2007-03-16, 8:55am
Senior Moment

Yes it is expensive but well worth the money. It has some really great tips for beginning lampworkers in it.
If the number post-it notes sticking out of the top of it is any indication, I learned alot or at least got some really great inspiration.

Old 2007-03-16, 10:38am

I am a book hoarder, I have most of the available books now, including PTF. I love this book, FAB pics great commentary and loads of good tips, its the most re-read book on my shelf along with her spotlight series which are also good. the others ones are also good but in different ways. I love my Kervin book coz its sooooo thorough, the cindy Jenkins making glass beads coz its what got me started, the beads of glass one for being packed with new up to date info and techniques and the 1000 glass beads book for always being a great source of inspiration when my mojo takes a hike! I would definitely recommend PTF well worth the cost for a huge amount of very varied info and some really useful step-by-steps.

Old 2007-03-16, 10:44am
Formerly Fancypants

I totally agree with everyone, it is a fantastic book. You will be very happy with it. A great birthday gift. Happy Birthday.
Diane
Old 2007-03-16, 12:04pm

This is a great book, in spite of all the typos and grammatical errors. English is Corinna Tettingers second language and I always say she speaks and writes better in English than I do German- lol. Explanations are straight forward and the photos are very clear.

I find it an exceptional book. It is worth every penny I paid for it, imho.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2007-03-16, 4:08pm

Thanks for your input everyone, i cant wait for it, my birthday isnt till the 28th march, so im sooo glad im not paying for it LOL, but my other half said wow thats a lot for a book!!
but he doesnt understand hes a man lol
Old 2007-03-17, 7:26am

its worth it!
ro
Old 2007-03-17, 7:50am

I got the book last month for my birthday. I really like it. I was like you though, why is it so expensive? After getting it , It did'nt matter because it is worth it. Lots and lots of stuff to learn from it.
Old 2007-03-17, 8:16am
Upstate New York

It's worth every penny....I hated to spend the $ on it too, but I never regretted it...you'll use it often....

janie

Old 2007-03-17, 8:58am
Formerly known as gamine

It's worth it and I recommend purchasing it from Frantz Art Glass (nayy)

Old 2007-03-17, 11:09am

It's a nice book. I got mine used. I don't mind the coffee stain, 'cause I know I'll add my own stains to it & I think it adds character! And I love used books (recycling rocks) & it gave me more $$ to spend on glass (hey, save half the cost of the book, buy a pound of hand pulled glass--worked for me!)
~luna

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2007-03-18, 7:32am

I don't have the book but have been shopping for it.
Is there anything added or changed in Passing the Flame Third Edition from the original published book?
I don't remember seeing "revised" in the title.
Mary
Old 2007-03-18, 8:06am

I think it is worth it if you buy that book first.

I bought Cindy Jenkins - making glass beads first and then months later bought passing the flame and was a little dissapointed because about 90% of what is in passing the flame was covered in the first book I bought.

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Glass-B.../dp/1887374167
Old 2007-03-18, 12:47pm

I think it's really worth it. . seems we spend lots of $$ on tools and glass all the time without thinking so hard about it. The tools are used and glass is consumed. . . but the book is an absolutely wonderful reference for "how to" and inspiration for ideas. We have to begin somewhere, and this book has lots of techniques that are easy to understand/follow. And if you can't be at the torch, you can read, study, dream about making beads. . .
Old 2007-03-18, 3:50pm
Ex-lurker

Ditto what everyone else has said - it is a very comprehensive book and you will be glad to own it!

"Life is a journey - travel it well"
Old 2007-03-18, 4:58pm
Formerly known as LT

It's a great book for when you first start and well worth the money. I planned to purchase it and read it a while and pass it on, but I love it and still have it after a year and half. I have read it cover to cover once then look at it often, even now.
The book is expensive because of the printing costs involved. The entire book is filled with color on every page. That cost so much more than most realize to have printed, and this book is not little. If you have seen some others that are in the 30ish range they have color to but are smaller and less pics. The bible books are also pricey and have little color, but filled with knowledge.

Old 2007-03-18, 10:41pm
Redheaded Thread Killer

I wouldn't say it's the "ONLY" book - but definitely a great one to have for your glass book library.

Currently... torch is cold. Not sure when I'll be making glass again. Hothead and Lynx user.
Nothing on
Old 2007-04-02, 4:04pm

Terrisbooks is selling their copies of PTF for pretty cheap (relatively speaking); links below. And no, I'm not affiliated with Terrisbooks - I just love a bargain!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...5554662&sr=8-2

http://cgi.ebay.com/PASSING-THE-FLAM...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 2007-04-02, 4:15pm

I have one and yes, it is worth the money.

(website in construction)
Old 2007-04-02, 4:23pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimples View Post
Terrisbooks is selling their copies of PTF for pretty cheap (relatively speaking); links below. And no, I'm not affiliated with Terrisbooks - I just love a bargain!

She has pretty crappy feedback, imho. 91% positive isn't that great.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-04-02, 6:10pm

Any self-published book is going to be more costly than those done by the big book publishing companies.

Stop and consider the cost of taking ONE class and compare it to the cost of PTF which you will use again and again and again. I should know. I have been making beads for 6 years and it's still the one reference I reach for.

Classes? Well I just took a "cheap" one that set me back $275 for the class and did NOT include all my travel expenses. I usually have to shell out $425 for class tuiton.

Guess that book isn't looking quite so expensive now, is it?

Old 2007-04-04, 11:09am

definitely worth it! publsihing anything is expensive.
Old 2007-04-04, 11:16am
ManBearPig

Publishing is a small part of the price of that book. That book cost maybe $10 each to print, and that's figuring very high...

Old 2007-04-06, 2:59pm
Disconnected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimples View Post

Well, I just got one from her and there's a couple things I can't figure out;
- first the ad said it was spiral bound, well, it's not.
- the cover says 3rd edition, but the foreword at the end is for a 2nd edition, where Corina doesn't mention a 3rd one....

I'm confused....
Shipping was ultra fast, though!
Old 2007-04-06, 4:18pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Publishing is a small part of the price of that book. That book cost maybe $10 each to print, and that's figuring very high...
$10? For full color on every single page, spiral bound with a hard cover. All done out of her own pocket?

You couldn't even get it printed at a copy shop for $10.

Of course, if you're IN the publishing business and have information I don't have then I apologize. But I somehow suspect that is not the case.