Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-29, 12:30pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by blong2001 View Post
Those are so nice! Love etching too! I do it the lazy way though and throw them in the tumbler. I really need to get out of that habit!
I wish I had a tumbler! I would love to do it that way. I etched these 15 minutes and stirred well, and then another 15, and then cleaned them, including the mandrel holes. If I don't stir I sometimes get spots that don't get etched well. Do tumblers always do an even etch?
Old 2011-06-29, 2:19pm
StudioMarcy

Hi everyone. Reporting back that Natasha (who has to be the queen of customer service) says she has a lot of Frog Green, and that she will be changing the listing to the opaque section. She says it looks Semi Opaque in the rod, but as it always turns to opaque from the flame, it will reside in that section instead.

Kristina, your encased etched beads looks great. I use the same acid as well.

And btw, I think the tumbler is a great alternative to acid etching (as is sandblasting) and you don't need to worry about inhaling or touching any chemical residue or getting it near anything. I have some friends who clean their beads by tumbling too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-06-29, 3:37pm
Millionaire in Training

Does anyone have a phone number or contact info other than the silly little contact box they provide on the website? Where are they located? I couldn't find anything on their website about their location or even looking up their phone number through 411 online. I'd like to order glass, but I have a wholesale license, and do not want to pay tax as I make beads to sell.
Old 2011-06-29, 3:44pm
StudioMarcy

Use the box and Natasha responds very quickly. She has said before that is the best way to reach her. I emailed her using that today, and had a response within a few hours. (and I'm sure they are working hard right now to get the glass up on the website by their deadline).

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-06-30, 4:43am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
Hi everyone. Reporting back that Natasha (who has to be the queen of customer service) says she has a lot of Frog Green, and that she will be changing the listing to the opaque section. She says it looks Semi Opaque in the rod, but as it always turns to opaque from the flame, it will reside in that section instead.

Kristina, your encased etched beads looks great. I use the same acid as well.

And btw, I think the tumbler is a great alternative to acid etching (as is sandblasting) and you don't need to worry about inhaling or touching any chemical residue or getting it near anything. I have some friends who clean their beads by tumbling too.

Thank you Marcy and that's wonderful news about the Frog Green. I love that color. I know some of their rod colors look translucent but are opaque. Can't wait!

A Tumbler sounds like it is preferable to liquid etching. Must it be of a certain price level to do a nice job, or will an entry level priced one work?
Old 2011-06-30, 5:33am

I have not had any trouble with the tumbler etching unevenly. It works great for me. I just chunk them in there with the abrasive and some other wonky beads and let it run for several hours. But being an impatient person.......

You guys better not get all of that frog green!!! You gotta share!!
Old 2011-06-30, 6:31am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by blong2001 View Post
I have not had any trouble with the tumbler etching unevenly. It works great for me. I just chunk them in there with the abrasive and some other wonky beads and let it run for several hours. But being an impatient person.......

You guys better not get all of that frog green!!! You gotta share!!

FROG GREEN On your mark... Get set...
Old 2011-06-30, 7:47am
And silence is golden

Could you all please leave me some Frog Green too! There are a number of colors that have my attention!
Old 2011-06-30, 7:49am
StudioMarcy

Bethany and Shrimp, I promise not to buy it all. Now Kristina.....could be another story. (I'm teasing).

What other colors are you all looking at? I need to go back and drool a bit more.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-06-30, 8:06am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Well, I actually DO have a space limit... I have a 9' roof on the enclosed porch ...okay, I promise not to order more than 25 lbs (and you need to add the decimal point in the middle for the actual amount)
Old 2011-06-30, 8:21am

What do you use in the tumbler? I have stainless steel shot in mine for my metal work. Don't think stainless steel will work for this?

Old 2011-06-30, 8:32am
StudioMarcy

I just put out a call for tumbler information on my fb page and you guys please friend me, if you haven't already, Marcy Lamberson, but I'll also report back here once I start getting more input.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-06-30, 8:36am
StudioMarcy

Deanna Chase said the following: Deanna wrote: "I use my tumbler to etch my glass beads. The cheap one from harbor freight. Fill it 3/4 of the way with pony beads (glass, plastic, whatever. Just something for friction) add a tablespoon of 600 or 1000 grit. Fill with enough water to just cover the medium. Add a dash of dish soap. Then add glass beads (count them for when you want to fish them out). Then turn on tumbler. Come back eight hours later."

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-06-30, 8:48am
sunscreen me baby

Anyone here like the India Marbled? PM me and I'll send it to you. I would be thrilled if you had a couple rods of the salmon color to trade me, but not necessary.

~

Old 2011-06-30, 8:52am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
Deanna Chase said the following: Deanna wrote: "I use my tumbler to etch my glass beads. The cheap one from harbor freight. Fill it 3/4 of the way with pony beads (glass, plastic, whatever. Just something for friction) add a tablespoon of 600 or 1000 grit. Fill with enough water to just cover the medium. Add a dash of dish soap. Then add glass beads (count them for when you want to fish them out). Then turn on tumbler. Come back eight hours later."
Thank you Marcy, I will look forward to that info. What you list here is great for a launch too.
Old 2011-06-30, 10:49am

I have to write down how many I put in there-or I would never know how many to look for!
Old 2011-07-03, 1:40pm
If the Wooden Shoes Fit??

Default New Glass

Hi to everyone, I haven't posted in a very long time.. Beautiful beads everyone..
Well I just put in my order for the new glass colors and got just a bit carried away (90 lb), just couldn't help myself... LOL .. The new colors and some of the old are just to die for.. Oh yes I did order a few lbs of the frog green, that is such a yummy color.. I think the new transparent reds and oranges should be just beautiful too, and the new greens, wow.. and all the purples, oh I could just go on and on.. lol ..

So how much glass, and your favorite new colors did you order???

I haven't been able to torch for a few month as I have a large order for Victorian Beaded Butterflies and Dragonflies to do.. they are what pay the bill on the glass.. lol .. I will be posting pics on the seed bead thread if any one would like to have a peek at them..

Happy 4th to all..

Big Hugs, We all need them...
Old 2011-07-03, 2:39pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlightforge View Post

So how much glass, and your favorite new colors did you order???

I haven't been able to torch for a few month as I have a large order for Victorian Beaded Butterflies and Dragonflies to do.. they are what pay the bill on the glass.. lol .. I will be posting pics on the seed bead thread if any one would like to have a peek at them..

Happy 4th to all..

Houkje, what gorgeous bead work! I had to post pics so everyone else could be as dazzled as I was when I went to your site!

Your glass order is pretty staggering! You have me beat. I ordered 14 different colors, but in smaller quantities... but I did blow it out on tools the 5 point Star Mold, Marble Gripper, Single Hole Marble Marver and Mandrels next I have to get busy and use it all!

So what did you all get?
Old 2011-07-03, 2:51pm
StudioMarcy

Wow. I feel like such a slac ker with a measly 20 lbs.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-07-03, 3:20pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

I know! I had to sit down for a minute at the thought of such an order! Live and dream I guess! And 20 lbs isn't anything to sneeze at!
Old 2011-07-03, 8:56pm

I haven't ordered anything yet. I just ordered a relatively expensive bunch of boro to try out some recipes I bought so I can't really afford to buy anything else until some more stuff sells lol. But that's okay, I really do own most of the colors Devardi has, although I do have my eye on a couple of the new colors. I wanted to post a picture of the blood red (fast becoming a favorite color). So any way, here is a tube focal with blood red and Reichenbach (sp?) mulit dark. This one has been etched by the why so that's why its not shiny, its not the glass lol.

Old 2011-07-03, 10:58pm

That is gorgeous Sonja, I love how the multicolour reacts subtly with the gorgeous red colour!

I used some devardi Semi OP light blue (not exactly sure of the colour name right now) that came out great on the bead, but went really opaque, I was wondering if anyone knows if this is me overheating it, or just how it is supposed to be anyway.... I am totally cool if that is how it is anyway, because it is such a nice colour and not something I have in any other brand. I decided to use some blue enamel on the bottom half and used a few of my murrini and stuff on there for fun too.... it was made for a local challenge called fantasy!... that is supposed to be a fairy in there (with a terrible murrini face I made pre-Loren Stump and therefore very dodgy).

Excuse the signature monkey face and year murrini on the back view.... I was just trying stuff out on this one.

Just keen to know if the blue going opaque is a regular thing!

Nat

Old 2011-07-04, 4:18am
If the Wooden Shoes Fit??

Good morning all..
Kristina:: Thank you very much for posting the pics of my Victorian bead work.. I didn't get any toys (tools) with this order of glass.. When you spread my glass order over 3 months (the last time I ordered glass) then it isn't so much really.. lol ..

Marcy:: 20 lb is a very nice order of glass.. And I just know that some of that is frog green... lol..

Sonja:: Beautiful bead.. Very nice reactions with the Reichenbach mulit dark.. I also love the Blood red.. I made an encased stringer with it for flower petals and it is so rich and a true red.. Will be very nice for Christmas beads.. I can't wait for the the time when I can get back to the torch..

Nat:: Cute bead.. I have found that some of the SOP do go OP after they are annealed, but not all.. if you look at the end of the rod and see more transparent rings than opaque then a lot of the time you will get a SOP bead after annealing.. Not sure that makes any sense, just what I found..

Happy shopping and torching everyone..
Happy July 4th.. Raise one for me..

Big Hugs, We all need them...
Old 2011-07-04, 4:27am
StudioMarcy

Houkje, frog green? What could you ever mean ?? (haha)

Sonja, what is multi dark? Pretty bead!

Nat, i like your fairy with that face. All the Loren class faces look too similar to me. I took it too.

Happy 4th!

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-07-04, 5:36am

Sonja-I have some multi dark but was not sure what to use it on-what you did gives me ideas! And I have to get some of the blood red-that is a gorgeous color.
Houkje-what beautiful work! Amazing!
Nat-love your bead! I have some of the SOP light blue that does not go opaque but honestly do not what I do different to it. But your work is beautiful!!

I have not had much time to torch lately because we are remodeling a bathroom. Looking at the beautiful work is so inspiring! THANK YOU!
Old 2011-07-04, 6:55am

I think the semi opaques can go either way. I have made beads with the same rod of glass and had some turn out opaque and some not and even occasionally some turn out half and half lol. I think it might also have to do with how long its worked, and how long it soaks. Maybe.

Marcy, multi dark is a reichenbach striking silver glass.

Houkje lovely bead work!

Nat I like the fairy bead!

Old 2011-07-04, 7:00am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Sonja, that bead is beautiful, and I am still drooling over THIS one that you posted a few pages back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsprat View Post
... that is supposed to be a fairy in there (with a terrible murrini face I made pre-Loren Stump and therefore very dodgy).

Just keen to know if the blue going opaque is a regular thing! Nat
Nat, I love your murrini face, and the Semi-Opaque Lt. Blue always goes solid for me too. I love using it. This is a bead I made with it.

Old 2011-07-04, 9:34am

Thanks Kristina!

Old 2011-07-04, 3:08pm

Thanks heaps ladies!

I love how on yours Kristina you have got that slightly translucent look, I am thinking maybe I was working a bit too hot thinking about everyones help .... I will try one working cooler and see how that comes out, although i really do like the colour anyway!

Oh, and that swirly organic bead by Sonja is gorgeous! and I finally went back and had a look at Houkje's beading.... W O W!

Nat X X X

Old 2011-07-04, 4:34pm
Live and Let Live

Default Rod Warmer Users...

I have a question for you. Have any of you had the ceramic lining of your rod warmer CRACK?

Back story... I bought one of the 'original' rod warmers last year that Natasha and Daniel sell. (Not the newer one with the temperature controller.) The first time I plugged it in and it began heating up, I heard a 'TINK' sound. Looked at the unit and there was a chip of yellow ceramic laying in front of it and a crack in the ceramic lining of the warmer.

I shut it off, contacted Natasha and she sent me a new unit.

Fast forward to yesterday... Well, the second unit has been here all this time, but I've not used it because the first one 'scared me'. So yesterday I decided to use it to pull down some fat Devardi rods. Everything goes fine (once the smell cleared out!).

Today I do the same thing. I turn it on and load in some rods. About an hour later, I reach over to take out the last set of preheated rods, and what do I see but a CRACK in the thermal lining! Since I was done with it for the day, I turned it off.

Is it just piss poor luck that this has happened to me twice now? Has anyone else experienced this?

Once the unit had cooled down, the crack 'closed up', but it will expand again with heating. I'm not sure if it's safe to use now. (Natasha advised not to use the first cracked one, so this would be the same situation.)

I think I'd be a nut to get a 3rd one. But it really was helpful to reduce the thermal shocking.

Opinions? Experiences?

Closed Thread

Tags
devardi