Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2008-10-16, 5:08pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsunset View Post
Well, I disappeared for a day and all the problems were solved! Squid your pictures look great. I was having a bit of trouble understanding fstops and speed and I think I've always had a block. So, I'm a visual learner and I like science so I did an experiment that gave a visual result. It was a good learning experience to see how changing the fstop, speed and ISO, brought more or less, light into the FOV. I'd love to know what you think of this. Scott, it's a great visual for where the "sweet spot" is. Thank you all for so much help.

Kathy
Wow - that is serious dedication! Very nice - it's helpful to me too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-10-16, 5:09pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jordan View Post
What you don't want to think about is that you can spend hours, getting your lighting just right, perfect color balance, pin sharp focus with every little detail crystal clear with your image ready to aw and amaze the world on your web site... and it all be for nothing. If the person viewing the image is looking at it through a un-calibrated, over bright, maximum contrast monitor with glare from the over head floresent lights and sunlight coming in the window almost turning the screen white, they are going to look at your piece of art and go, "hmmm not a very good picture." And we won't talk about how your monitor not being color, brightness and contrast calibrated plays into how it looks as well.

Nope, you don't want to think about that at all.

Mike
GAHHHHHH!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-16, 5:50pm
Fancy Mammal

I think it's worth remembering that person looks at the same monitor (or two) all the time. So if someone has an overbright monitor, everything they look at is overbright (or too red or etc). So your image still looks better than those that are washed out to start with, or out of focus

And wow, Kathy, that's great! And I couldn't image a better way of "saying" that
Old 2008-10-16, 7:54pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner Studios View Post

Mike, LOL why do you want to rain on their parade? Com"on just because we can't control other people. We should just give up.

Scott

Not at all, Scott, but it's good to know that when you spend a lot of work making your image look as best as you can and then someone takes a look at it and says it's too dark, or it's too fuzzy, or it's a funny orange (when it's really blue) that you can know that it's their monitor. I've seen a lot of people that didn't know about calibrated monitors and how different browsers affect how your image looks and are crushed when someone tells them their image looks terrible, thinking it really does and then spend even more time in Photoshop or some other editor trying to fix it, when it doesn't need fixing at all. And realistically, most people do not have calibrated monitors, either the person editing the image or the person viewing. While most monitors come out of the box pretty close for color balance, they are usually way to bright and have the contrast set too high. This causes most images to turn out too dark and soft when viewed by others or printed.

None of this is meant to rain on anyone's parade, nor is it meant for anyone to give up. It's just another aspect of digital photography that anyone that is serious about wanting to create the best images they can, need to know.

Mike
Old 2008-10-16, 8:01pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jordan View Post
Not at all, Scott, but it's good to know that when you spend a lot of work making your image look as best as you can and then someone takes a look at it and says it's too dark, or it's too fuzzy, or it's a funny orange (when it's really blue) that you can know that it's their monitor. I've seen a lot of people that didn't know about calibrated monitors and how different browsers affect how your image looks and are crushed when someone tells them their image looks terrible, thinking it really does and then spend even more time in Photoshop or some other editor trying to fix it, when it doesn't need fixing at all. And realistically, most people do not have calibrated monitors, either the person editing the image or the person viewing. While most monitors come out of the box pretty close for color balance, they are usually way to bright and have the contrast set too high. This causes most images to turn out too dark and soft when viewed by others or printed.

None of this is meant to rain on anyone's parade, nor is it meant for anyone to give up. It's just another aspect of digital photography that anyone that is serious about wanting to create the best images they can, need to know.

Mike
Don't worry - I didn't take it as raining on my parade

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-16, 10:17pm

Mike, Some times we just need a giggle. Just a little tongue and cheek. I really do respect your wisdom. I'm just a smart ass by nature.
Scott

ESTY
Old 2008-10-17, 2:08pm
Master Procrastinator

I've been following this thread & am amazed at how wonderful Squid's photos came out. I found my old Canon G2 that I used to love & see that I can use manual settings for it, but my brain hurts when thinking about F stops, etc. Is there a general rule of thumb to start off with & work from there? It's got the following settings that I can adjust: 1/200 (not sure what that is, but I know I can change it), F stop & ISO. Can you give me the dummy's guide to what settings might work for me?

Old 2008-10-17, 2:14pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
I've been following this thread & am amazed at how wonderful Squid's photos came out. I found my old Canon G2 that I used to love & see that I can use manual settings for it, but my brain hurts when thinking about F stops, etc. Is there a general rule of thumb to start off with & work from there? It's got the following settings that I can adjust: 1/200 (not sure what that is, but I know I can change it), F stop & ISO. Can you give me the dummy's guide to what settings might work for me?
Based on what I learned in this thread, choose an ISO setting of 200 (or 100 if you have good lighting). You also want a fairly fast shutter speed - 1/200 is the shutter speed and that is real fast. Most of my pics now are around 1/60 - but I let my camera pic the Fstop and shutter speed (for now)

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-17, 5:11pm

I'm glad this has been fun and a great exercise, most likely, many of us, squid and me included, have benefited. I'm glad I could do something to benefit this group who has given me so much. There will always be those who never heard of the word "calibration", so not to worry Mike, if it looks great to me and I know how to make my camera work on Manual, I will let the detail and technical ability speak for my work. I've worked most of my adult life in the public eye, and know exactly what you mean, so no offense taken. Thanks Scott for helping to keep it light. And parisgal, too!

Old 2008-10-17, 7:20pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner Studios View Post
Mike, Some times we just need a giggle. Just a little tongue and cheek. I really do respect your wisdom. I'm just a smart ass by nature.
Scott
No problem, Scott, my sense of humor is very dry and obscured sometimes. It was the wtf at the end that I wasn't sure about (I know what it means, I just wasn't sure how you meant it ) and being in the Northwest, we see getting our parade rained on as being peferectly normal.

Mike
Old 2008-10-17, 7:23pm
Master Procrastinator

Thanks Squid. I'll give it a try over the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Based on what I learned in this thread, choose an ISO setting of 200 (or 100 if you have good lighting). You also want a fairly fast shutter speed - 1/200 is the shutter speed and that is real fast. Most of my pics now are around 1/60 - but I let my camera pic the Fstop and shutter speed (for now)