Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2008-01-16, 5:03am
Lush!

Default Cat Tutorial ??

Could anybody point me to some instructions or inspirational pics for cat shaped beads at all?

I tried searching but the search word has to be at least 4 letters long ... C A T
Old 2008-01-16, 5:04am
Lush!

Oops, forgot my manners - thanks in advance!
Old 2008-01-27, 5:25pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

These are the kind of cats I make. Very easy. You can see how they're made by just looking at the picture.
Attached Images

Ebay:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-01-27, 6:11pm
It's all about the color.

Cool! The only time I made a cat was when I was using a press for the first time - the flutterby press one. I was about to dump it in the water when I saw a cat peeking out so I helped him along. I sent him to my mom and she loves it....go figure.

The flutterby press is NOT one to use when you're doing it for the first time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2008-02-13, 8:57am
Damn Yankee!

I have been making a lot of cats lately for the local bead store. I start by making the body and the head. I add white dots for eyes and melt smooth, then I add a transp green and melt flat then black dot for the eye, then add white to where the belly will be and poke a hole for the belly button. Then I Add the arms then the legs, with the legs I make two blobs of glass and use a tool to push them flat on the body of the cat. Then I add two blobs of white glass just under the eyes for the snout and I smush those flat and press in the middle for the indentation. Next I add the tail its black with a white tip. Then I add the ears by adding a small black ball of glass to each side, then a small dot of pink in the middle of the black ball, heat each ball up and squeeze with plyers, then heat each up again and pull to a point. Now you can do the detail work adding a small bit of white to each of the top paws and melting in. Then add 4 dots of white to the bottom paws and smush flat, then the small black dots to the snout and lastly the nose.

Note: if you want to add a collar to the cat like in the pic, you need to add it when you are doing the eyes, other wise you will never get it on there, the same thing with any decoration to the chest, I usually cant get any flowers in there if you dont do it before adding the arms.

Hope this helps

Samantha

Old 2008-02-13, 10:56am
Lush!

Thanks so much for the replies, I especially love Samantha's cat!

I have worked out a design and did a few cats myself, although mine are just a head and collar. I must have a go at a body too.

Old 2008-02-15, 4:10pm
fire is goooooood

Default Cats!

I've been dabbling a bit in some folk art style animals and one that I have done recently is pictured below- Really pretty simple and fun!

He's primitive at best- first one I've ever made like this but with a bit of tweaking I think he could be really amazing.

If you want the technique just let me know and I will post it. Otherwise I wont get all long-winded

Payton Jett

Last edited by greenglasscafe; 2008-02-15 at 4:13pm. Reason: OOps.. forgot the picture!
Old 2008-02-18, 2:17pm
dances with ideas...

Here are a couple of other threads that you might find helpful:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...highlight=cats

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233123

Good luck!

Old 2008-02-18, 2:35pm
dances with ideas...

And for anyone who's interested, I just started a new weekly challenge: Cat's Meow.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...18#post1665818

Wanna come play?

Old 2008-02-18, 2:36pm

I love all the cats!
Old 2008-02-18, 4:19pm
MacGalver

Payton~

I'm not much for figurative glass, but I really like your cat! It's easy to see how he/she could become an owl quite easily, as well.

I've been messing around with some folk-art style glass as well, must be in the air?!

Thanks for sharing...

Jo
Old 2008-02-18, 9:58pm
fire is goooooood

Jo-

Of course!

I wonder if it (folk art) IS in the air? Is it getting ready to come back around and we have some crazy ESP?

Payton

Payton Jett
Old 2008-02-19, 12:16am
Bead Imp

Jo & Payton, It really must be something in the air! Sunday night I was playing around with cats and decided to try and make a couple folk art ones. Now don't laugh, these are the first ones ever, lol!

Old 2008-03-06, 8:58pm
I need torch time!

Smile Samantha's Cat

Samantha thank you for the mini tutorial... I think I know how my little bears are going to get noses now.
Old 2008-03-07, 12:55am
Susanne

I don't know if it helps, but I'll post a picture of my cats as well:

First I make a cone fo body (in this case decorated with stringer and a white belly). Than I add the head.

For the finer details I start with the tail, as that's the only small detail on the cats back.

Than I make four paws and the front legs before turning my attention to the cats head. There I start with the eyes as I like them melted in. Then I add the cheeks and ears.

The picture show the first set of cats I made, so they are not great beads, but I like the main principle of them.

Visit

Visit my homepage

FaceBook

Blog

# F-63
Old 2008-03-07, 2:14am

Here are some I made earlier (2006)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebottle_25 View Post
Could anybody point me to some instructions or inspirational pics for cat shaped beads at all?

I tried searching but the search word has to be at least 4 letters long ... C A T

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2008-03-07, 3:30pm
Damn Yankee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangy View Post
Samantha thank you for the mini tutorial... I think I know how my little bears are going to get noses now.

You're welcome, the cats are really quite easy to make.

Samantha

Old 2009-05-17, 9:49am
Meet Molly

Hello Payton,

I love your folk art primitive cat bead! Would be able to write a tutorial so I can give it a try with a twist of my own?
Thanks.
Cinnamon
Old 2009-05-17, 8:32pm

yeah Payton luv your kitty kat,actualy I like them all .

Karen
Volkano Exotik
Old 2009-05-21, 8:59am
Formerly Fancypants

OH I love these kitties. So cute.

Old 2009-05-26, 9:19pm
Dancing Moon Shadows

I'm so glad to have seen these. Thanks everybody for posting these darling kitties.

[/b][/i][/font]