Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2009-03-15, 3:17pm
Unmedicated since '62

Default eyelids?

can anybody give me a tip on how to make sculptured "eyelids"?

i just cant figure out a way that wont look like just a swipe of glass

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2009-03-15, 5:19pm
I like to melt things

I've never done this, so this might be a really stupid suggestion But if I was going to make eyelids, I would make the eye first, and then I'd let it set.

Then I'd add a large dot of 'eyelid color' on top of it, half on the eye and half on the eyelid zone. Then I'd spot-heat the dot (with a pinpoint flame, careful not to heat the eye itself) and drag it out on both sides with the end of a same-coloured stringer.

-
-
Old 2009-03-15, 5:24pm
Unmedicated since '62

i'll try that

i tried to do it with a dental pick but it just looked weird - a stringer might work better

Old 2009-03-15, 10:30pm
I speak Murrini!

When you say eyelids, are you meaning a raised half moon of glass, or something more along the lines of what my clown's eyebrows look like (below). I actually made this bead during my first ever month of torching - so I was kind of guessing and didn't think (until later, of course!) to add eyelids as well as brows:

If this is what you mean, it's pretty easy!

I would definitely recommend using a strong color; if using Black, I recommend Intense Black or Hades. Here's what I did~~~

1. After creating the basic head shape, I added large dots of the color to be the "brows"; in this example, two large dots of Hades were added and melted in;

2. Once the "brow" color dots are melted in, add two dots of the "face" color (same as base bead) over the top of the brow dots, slightly below though, so that when they are melted in, they leave exposed a "half moon" shape that works as the brows.

3. Apply your eye murrini or stacked eye dot color in the appropriate location for the eyes, in the centers of the base/face color dots is pretty much where I aim.

If you add another set of "half moons" using the same technique as described above, using slightly smaller dots this time, you'll end up with a double arch and this will give you both brows and upper lids.

Hope this helps!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-03-15, 10:40pm
Unmedicated since '62

i'm not sure what i mean to be truthful - i've had a request for a fish with sexy eyes - a girl liked the red fish i made but wants it with sexy eyes a bit like this
Attached Images

Old 2009-03-15, 10:59pm
I speak Murrini!

Hum...OK! With that in mind, then, have you considered buying this tutorial by Cathy/Ardvark? http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=17167808

I know that in the there she also shows how to do eyelids. Some examples of the fish are in the thread that was started to show off work done by those who purchased this tut - check it out:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=111436

There aren't any examples of lidded eye fish that I can find posted here on LE, but I have the tut and know it shows how to do fishes with eyelids. It wouldn't be hard after you've mastered that to pull the corners of the eyes out and make that sexy look, I would think!

Good luck!
De

Old 2009-03-15, 11:12pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Hum...OK! With that in mind, then, have you considered buying this tutorial by Cathy/Ardvark? http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=17167808

I know that in the there she also shows how to do eyelids. Some examples of the fish are in the thread that was started to show off work done by those who purchased this tut - check it out:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=111436

There aren't any examples of lidded eye fish that I can find posted here on LE, but I have the tut and know it shows how to do fishes with eyelids. It wouldn't be hard after you've mastered that to pull the corners of the eyes out and make that sexy look, I would think!

Good luck!

De
i've actually got that tut marked as a favourite - i'll buy it now!

i really want the screaming cactus one - my sons been begging me to make that for him.

Old 2009-03-15, 11:39pm
I speak Murrini!

Deb, I think she has a "deal" if you buy the two together:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=19491166

It's great fun! Go for it!

De

Old 2009-03-17, 3:37pm
Beadmaking.nl

This is a free fish tutorial:

http://www.smartassglass.com/fish_tutorial.htm

Old 2009-04-12, 7:51am

This is not the greatest bead in the world, it was my first attempt, but if you want them closed, I made a dent in the glass first. Then I put a dot and melted it in a bit, then pressed in with tool that has a sharp moon shaped tip about 1/5 of the way up only, so that it looks like a top and a bottom lid. I should have probably gone a little lower, even. I shaped the top of the eye with my moon tool to help it become wider than it is tall. You could use the tool curving down, then turn it around to curve it up over to the right a bit to make the eyes look the way they do in your image. I don't know if this makes sense. But then you could add eyelashes if you're good with skinny stringer.
Maybe a sexy-eyed winking fish?

Last edited by truegem; 2009-04-12 at 7:56am.
Old 2009-04-12, 8:51am
Critter Mom

Good Easter Mornin' All ... I don't have a tut for eyelids but I do a lot of experimenting with eyes so I thought I'd just share a little info. When I'm developing a new type of eye, I make eye beads. Usually an eye on each side, each eye a little different than the other. This lets me get the technique for my eye down before I try it on a critter....boy, that was a lot of eyes and I's.