Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2010-11-28, 11:53am
Live and Let Live

Default Heating a Basement Studio - Kerosene?

My torch is in my basement, which is unheated. It's already getting uncomfortably cool to be down there for long torching sessions. I have an electric baseboard-type heater that takes the edge off, but not by much.
It's also a hassle because I have to plug it into an outlet across the room with an extension cord, since it trips the breaker to add it to the circuit near my workbench, and then no one can do laundry while I'm using the heater.

SO... I'm thinking about maybe a kerosene heater instead... like this one: http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...627946.4392329

I've been reading up on them and naturally there are safety considerations such as placement, preventing burns to people & pets, refilling safety and wick maintenance. The combustion by-products would be handled by the open window and vent fan that are used while torching, I'd assume.

Anyone use kero to heat their studio or have cautions against it? The only BIG danger I can imagine is if the torch gas was turned on and not lit, letting propane build up where the Kerosene heater was running. BOOM!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by GlassGalore; 2010-11-30 at 8:44pm. Reason: more details
Old 2010-11-30, 11:26am
honorary bead lady

At the price of kerosene I would suggest a parabolic electric heater or an oil heater on a extension cord
(Better to have another outlet wired in)

The parabolic electric is going to warm you not the room air

an Oil filled electric is going to warm the room air

As far as costs multply what you are paying per KWH x 40 to = the cost equivalent
of kerosene

Last edited by houptdavid; 2010-11-30 at 11:39am.
Old 2010-11-30, 11:32am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

The parabolic heaters are awesome - I use this one:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...sc1&lang=en-US

I have to keep it over 6 feet away from me or I get too warm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-11-30, 12:33pm

http://www.edenpurestore.com/

This heater does everything it claims. I have two of them now. I don't know how I lived before them!
Old 2010-11-30, 1:18pm

I've been using a kerosene heater in our basement for several months now with no trouble whatsoever. Of course, it's not running when we are out of the basement. I also use one on the main floor. Again, it is not on when we leave or are asleep. Nor are they on 24/7. We use them to augment the natural gas we have and we've had no trouble at all. Using the kerosene limits the amount of (very expensive) natural gas.

Old 2010-11-30, 5:44pm
honorary bead lady

This may help alto its 2 years old
http://www.nh.gov/staywarm/fuelprices.htm

Formulas to plug in your own numbers
http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Pub...ons/PM1068.pdf

Last edited by houptdavid; 2010-11-30 at 5:49pm.
Old 2010-11-30, 8:38pm
Live and Let Live

Thanks for the feedback and other options to consider. I really don't want to muck with another electric circuit if I can avoid it.

Old 2010-11-30, 9:14pm
Mary Lockwood

You have plenty of things to think about already, but I wanted to second (or third) the approach of heating yourself, not your basement. Radiant heat will heat you, not the air around you. I used to work outside on an enclosed, unheated back porch. My ventilation would suck the hot air out faster than I could heat it. I bought myself a pair of battery operated wool socks and a heat lamp lightbulb. I put the heat lamp into my overhead fixture and it would keep my upper torso warm, and the socks took care of my feet.

Just a thought. You could put the heat bulb in a clamp light and shine it on you wherever you want. Clamp it to something under your bench and shine it on your legs to keep your feet warm.

~~Mary

Old 2010-11-30, 9:24pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

I have one of those oil heaters & it heats really well. I don't keep it on all the time. My work area is in the basement. Part of my basement is heated, but not my work area.

Vivian

-

Old 2010-12-03, 5:20pm

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately it will be a while before I can even think of reconfiguring the make up air. Has anyone used the parabolic heaters?

HoupDavid I did check out that thread, thanks.

If I figure something out that works, I will post it!
Old 2010-12-05, 10:50am
old fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryd View Post
Has anyone used the parabolic heaters?
yes, i have one and it works, to a point. you must start off with the studio nice and warm and use the parabolic heater, aimed at you, to extend the amount of time you can spend in the studio. ventilation and make up air are not optional, and thus you will be bringing outside air directly into your studio.