No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-02-09, 5:04pm
Flame On!

Default Bead Etching Advice Needed

I have always wanted to etch some of my beads, but I bought some nasty expensive stuff in a jar, and I don't like it and I don't like the results I get anyway. So I researched on here and found some info on using a tumbler and 1000 grit silicon carbide or sand, which sounds like something that would work better for me than the chemical stuff. My question is, do I add water or anything to the grit or sand when I put it in the tumbler?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-02-09, 6:04pm
Slogan Challenged...

add water to about half full with the beads and stainless shot and grit, add a few drops of dawn or other non-bleach detergent.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-02-09, 6:26pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I use glass pony beads not shot and the silicon carbide... and I almost always forget to add any soap.

Old 2013-02-09, 6:52pm
Steph

I use glass pony beads too - a tablespoon of silicon carbide - add your beads to tumble and just cover it all with water. I tumble for at least 3 hours.

I use my stainless steel shot and a squeeze of detergent for polishing my silver!

My Etsy Shop and Inner Depth Tutorial:

Come like me at:
Old 2013-02-11, 2:00pm
Flame On!

Thank you guys so much!!! I will try the pony beads! I have shot, but I need to keep it clean for my silver and it's pricey to ship!!!

Old 2013-02-11, 2:08pm
one day at a time

How many pony beads to add to the 3lb barrel? In cups or ounces please, then I can figure out how much to buy off ebay. I don't know if the Michael's near me has them, and I don't want to waste the trip over there. It's hard for me to get around as it is, so that's why I prefer online shopping.
Old 2013-02-11, 2:19pm
Flame On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
How many pony beads to add to the 3lb barrel? In cups or ounces please, then I can figure out how much to buy off ebay. I don't know if the Michael's near me has them, and I don't want to waste the trip over there. It's hard for me to get around as it is, so that's why I prefer online shopping.
U following me? Good question, I need the answer myself!

Old 2013-02-11, 2:21pm
Flame On!

Lisi, most likely about a cup or 2. where did you find glass pony's on ebay? can you send me the link? I'm gonna need some as well!

Old 2013-02-11, 2:23pm
Loving learning

Lisi, I'm guessing you won't even need them because I believe it is just to make more volume for the beads to agitate with, and you said you'll be doing a lot at once anyway.

I think the more beads you have going in, the less pony beads you would need.
Old 2013-02-11, 2:36pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglassattic View Post
Lisi, most likely about a cup or 2. where did you find glass pony's on ebay? can you send me the link? I'm gonna need some as well!
Here's the basic search I started with yesterday. Just a quick look is all I did, but I will check later and see how "cheap" I can get them per the weight.

BTW - some are really nice vintage beads! (I wouldn't tumble around with those! too pretty!)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_saca...+beads&_sop=15

I didn't know this, but 6/0 beads are called "pony beads" as well as "E" beads, right?? I thought pony beads were the much bigger ones that are about 9mm in diameter. So which ones for the tumbling medium? Dang it...there I go again, "overthinking" it. lol!

Last edited by Lisi; 2013-02-11 at 2:41pm.
Old 2013-02-11, 3:36pm
Steph

I reckon mine are about 7mm across, narrower hole to hole. And I have about just under a quarter of my barrel full of them. I only tend to tumble a set or two of beads at a time, I'm sure larger quantities would be fine - try it and see!

Come like me at:
Old 2013-04-06, 8:59am

Deedee

Do you reuse Silicon Carbide for tumbling...or how often to replace it?

Thx. Becky
Old 2013-04-06, 9:13am
Loving learning

According to Corrina Tettinger, you reuse over & over & over.

http://www.corinabeads.com/pages/tumbling.php
Old 2013-04-06, 9:19am

Thank Eileen!
Old 2013-04-06, 9:31am
what's a senior moment ?

This person on Ebay has some great deals on 6/0 seed beads which are perfect for this http://www.ebay.com/itm/WHOLESALE-LO...item23274786fb
I've bought from them before with no problems at all.

Old 2013-04-06, 1:52pm
Steph

Yes, I reuse it over and over, if the water level goes down, I top it up a bit and add half a teaspoon every now and again!

Come like me at:
Old 2013-04-06, 2:39pm

Thanks !
Old 2013-04-06, 6:53pm

The silicone carbide does degrade over time. For instance, if you have been using 200 grit for a while, it would probably be 500 grit by now and quite a bit less effective for tumbling.

Barbara
Old 2013-04-10, 7:28am

I don't add pony beads. I grab some sand and gravel out of my yard and mix that in with the silicone carbide. Works just right for me

Scorpion with 2 Regalia's on NG