Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-11-11, 11:42pm
Happy in AZ

Default HH holder

Hi everyone, this is what I came up with to hold my HH when using the small Mapp gas canister. It is PVC pipe with a PVC cap glued to the bottom and a PVC flange at the top to create a lip - I think it is what is used when installing a toilet. This piece is placed into a hole in the cement board I use on top of my desk. The board is deeper than my desk, so I put the hole in the overhang and have room for my knees! I get nervous being so close to the canister, but with this arrangement it creates a little more distance. Before I start the torch, I add about 1 cup of warm water to keep the MAPP canister from freezing so fast.

This is how the set up looks when in use.

This is how it looks pulled out of the hole in the cement board.
Old 2007-11-12, 1:56am
Glass-aholic

interesting.........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2007-11-12, 5:28am

Hello...so your mapp canister is actually in a warm water bath while it's torching???

I am using mapp canisters, and have such a problem with the freezing/condensation! Please let me know how this is working, cause I'd like to try it!

I know what you mean about some distance from the torch. In the original kit I got, the mapp canister was to be very simply attached with some sort of metal clamp type thing that attaches it to the side of the table...which is right in front of me... and if it ever came loose while it was flaming it would not only fall on or against me, but surely cause a horrible burn if not catch me on fire!

What a great solution! THanks so much for sharing it!
Old 2007-11-12, 8:52am
Happy in AZ

I can now torch until I need a break - about an hour or more. When I stop, I take the canister out and let it warm up, but I have not stopped because of the freezing since I started using the water bath. If the water is too warm it makes the flame fluctuate.
Old 2007-11-13, 7:47am

What a great solution!! Very inventive. I am on a HH for a while again til I move and I will definitely give this a try. Thanks

Roy
Old 2007-11-13, 8:52am
Gentleman of Leisure

Excellent idea and yes using a "cold sink" to remove the cold from the canister is a valid solution to the freeze up problem...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-11-13, 9:42am

I saw a picture from a studio working with hot heads and everyone had theirs in a bucket or something. I'm glad to see there is a good solution to the freezing problem. Neat idea.
Old 2007-11-13, 10:24am
Happy in AZ

My ex-BF, who helped me put it all together, said the pipe and toilet flange are made of 4" ABS. You can find ABS in the plumbing section of any hardware store. It costs about $12-15.00

Just Nancy: I did get the idea from seeing a photo of the studio using buckets with vermiculite!! I don't like to stand, so came up with this. When I used vermiculite in the ABS, it was too messy and it really did not keep the can from freezing.

Last edited by DesertGlass; 2010-04-26 at 11:08am.
Old 2007-11-13, 10:58am
I speak Murrini!

Holy Schmoly!!! What an excellent idea!!! I love it...I hear you on the "fear factor"! When I took my very first lampworking class, the teacher had us all hold the MAPP cannisters between our knees with the HH leaning against the table - good God!!! All I could think about was holding that dang thing tight!!! I was so stressed and fearful, I couldn't go for more than 10 minutes before my thighs would cramp up, and I would get terrible shooting pain in my neck shoulders from being so tense!!! I do have a Creation Station now, which is such a relief, but this is an absolutely great idea - it also brings the torch down a bit so that your arms/shoulders aren't in a "held up", stressed position!

Bravo!!!
DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2007-11-13, 11:17am

I think that would be an excellent idea. I have to lug a bucket of hot water to my studio in the garage every time I want to work.
Old 2009-03-19, 9:26am

Default Nice....

Very Creative....

That's a good way to INCREASE the "Boiling" that's occurring within the MAPP / PROPANE bottle...

You'd be surprised just how 'scary' some peoples uh, 'techniques' are, when it comes to warming the tank ! (Paint Strippers, Hot plates, Electric Blankets, Even open Flame !
Yours, as a technique, is quite safe really...

I would definitely consider making the change to a bigger bottle and/or moving to Propylene.... (I can't even buy MAPP here anymore.)

Cheers,

/J...
Old 2009-03-19, 9:42am
Happy in AZ

Thanks Joe, I don't think I would have used the HH for 2 years without it.

Old 2009-03-19, 12:34pm

Totally clever!!
Old 2009-03-19, 2:07pm

Great idea! I will be trying this really soon.

Michelle

Old 2009-04-13, 5:34pm
Wahwahbabypants

Ok... I tried this. To mixed results. Only thing different I did was a different diameter of ABS because I'm using the "fatboy" tanks instead of the tall skinny ones. I can't take a picture today (camera in shop ) but the water FROZE. I'm thinking I have to use hotter water?

I might go Crazyif I don't go Crazy Tonight.
Old 2009-04-13, 6:36pm
Happy in AZ

Yes, I start out with warm-ish water. If it is too hot it screws with the flame. I have had ice around the tank it the water is low and I torch for more than an hour.

Old 2009-04-13, 6:40pm
Wahwahbabypants

Nancy I have to give you your props for posting this one. I've been very nervous with the HH bracket/clamp idea. I'm a noobie with fears of setting things on fire your set up killed 2 birds with one stone for me.
I had an old wood table so DH cut a hole in for me yesterday and voila... sunken torch holder. When I get my camera back I'll take a picture of mine and post it.

Thanks for the great idea!

Old 2009-04-13, 6:59pm
PyronamixK

I have a question for those of you whose tanks freeze: are you letting the torch run continuously, or are you turning it off after each bead?
Old 2009-04-13, 7:02pm
Happy in AZ

Thank you, I felt the same way about having the torch against my stomach. I can't imagine using a canister without it now. Also I don't worry about it falling over.

Old 2009-04-13, 7:03pm
Wahwahbabypants

I turn it off whenever I can. That being said, I am a noobie and am spending more time than I likely should trying to shape my beads.

Old 2009-04-13, 7:04pm
Happy in AZ

kbinkster - I don't turn off the HH between beads when I use the sunken bucket method. But instead of freezing after 20 minutes, it usually lasts about an hour or so depending on how hot the water is in the bucket.

Old 2009-04-14, 12:39pm
I need torch time!

Default Propylene

I am now using the "Fat Boy" Propylene canisters as I can't get Mapp Pro any more. I can work for an hour without freezing up. However, I like the idea and would try it if the "Fat Boy's" had not become available. I did not like any of the other methods, and I do turn off my torch between beads, but, one bead takes me at least 45 minutes --- I like encasing florals. Thanks for posting your solution.
Old 2010-04-25, 10:52am
Salt Box Beads

Thank-you so much for the holder instructions. I had DH make me one and it allowed me to re design my workbench to use tall canisters, short canisters and my Mega.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=161298

Thank you.
Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2010-04-25 at 10:55am.
Old 2010-04-25, 10:39pm
Happy in AZ

You are welcome, it changed the way I worked on a HH.

Old 2010-04-26, 5:55am
old fart

i love your solution. you and your boyfriend have a creative streak, i like that!!!! the only thing i would change is to cover the top with metal. a hot piece of glass could fly off and should land on something that is not combustible. even aluminum foil would work, but copper would look real cool!!!!

Last edited by laserglass; 2010-04-26 at 6:47am.
Old 2010-04-26, 11:09am
Happy in AZ

I did notice that the plastic will melt when glass hits it, and many small bits end up in the water. I never thought of creating a collar for it. Thanks Mark.