Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2011-03-17, 10:04am

Default WordPress comments

This is not relative to lampworking, but I wonder if any of you web developers have any comments about WordPress as a basis for a website that uses .php and has a ton of images. Our son's site just switched over to 1. new host 2. new formating within WordPress and very little about the site is working.

Biggest (though not only) issues:

1. Image libary is not working - cannot browse it and evn when images are uploaded into the text from the desktop, only the thumbnails appear in the library, but still cannot browse the library so it's useless.

2. Editing text is a PITA and editing the .html worse. when you are in edit mode, the screen jumps around from place to place in the edit window preventing you from inserting the new .html or text.

Do any of you have any thoughts about this being a generalized problem with the use of WordPress for such website purposes or is it just not set properly?
Old 2011-03-18, 8:01pm
ManBearPig

I haven't used WordPress in a while, but when I was using it, I would copy the HTML code into a web editing software (I think it was GoLive back then), edit it there, and then paste it back into WordPress.

But, with WordPress, you get what you pay for. It works great for some things, but it's not made for building a web site.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-03-19, 6:13am

Thanks Cosmo. I was afraid that was the case, but I'm glad to get some feedback from folks who have used the editor
Old 2011-03-21, 8:52pm

I use wordpress, I don't use a gallery though, but I did add the Etsy plugin, and I have used the plugin for flickr.

As for editing text, it might be your browser. I don't have a problem using the editor in IE or Safari, but it's a little more finicky with Firefox.

Pasting HTML is not always the solution, unless you have your own custom CSS; otherwise WYSisNotWYG.

I use both the Free Wordpress.com (for my blog) as well as have it installed on a server for my main website.

Feel free to PM me for anything specific.
dori

Dori

Well behaved women seldom make history ~ Laura Thatcher Ulrich
Old 2011-03-21, 9:42pm

Thanks Dori,

Are your images uploaded to the media library on WP or? It looks to me as if they are.
Old 2011-03-27, 6:31pm

Hi Vicki, been awhile since I was on. Yes, except for items on Etsy, I upload to WP library. I load different images to Etsy because of size/shape constraints.

Dori

Old 2011-03-27, 6:41pm

Thanks Dori,

Did you have any problems getting the library to function (accept images, allow browsing to use the images etc.)? Do you think WP is pretty generous with storage space for small (under 20 kb) images? The person who is hooking up WP for the site can't seem to get the library to function. I've tried some searches and the only thing I've been able to find said that the permissions might not be set up properly. Any thoughts?

Vicki
Old 2011-03-31, 8:54pm

I haven't had any problem hosting images on my own server or on the free wordpress.com server. With this being a recent switch, what I would do is see if he can export the site (it's been awhile since I've done that I'd have to read documentation) to his hard drive, delete WP on the server and reinstall. I was just rereading what you originally posted, and my first guess now is compatibility issues. Wordpress has had that in the past - I try to update whenever a new version comes out, but if the hosting company skipped a few versions, that could very well be it.

Dori

Old 2011-04-01, 5:40am

Thanks for answering, fawnheights. Well, unfortunately - the guys who are doing this decided in their wisdom to change numerous things all at the same time:

1. version (design) of the .php that runs the site calendar

2. host

3. putting the whole shebang into WP

It's just a mess, and, what's worse, they seem to be clueless about how to remedy the situation.

My first question was if WP is even compatible with having a .php program that includes MANY small images - i.e. can a site like this be housed within the shell of WP. Apparently the motivation for doing this was so various people can go in and work on the site ----AAAAAARGH! It does look to me like they should just go back to the beginning and reinstall WP, but I don't know if that is the issue.
Old 2011-04-01, 12:44pm

Why are they not using one of the many Wordpress Gallery Plugins?
http://www.blogohblog.com/wordpress-gallery-plugins/

Steve

Old 2011-04-01, 4:37pm

I don't know the answer to that, Steve, but I'll sure pass it along. From what I can see, something is not set up correctly from the start as far as making the WP and the existing calendar eto work together.
Old 2011-04-02, 9:51am

This is starting to sound a bit too complicated.
http://chasesagum.com/7-wordpress-calendar-plugins

Steve

Old 2011-04-02, 10:54am

Yeah - it is pretty complicated, but the folks who think they know what they want don't realize that, I'm afraid. Stay tuned...and thanks so much for the input.
Old 2011-04-18, 3:39am
picking Job's Tears

Any updates Vicki? This doesn't so much sound like a WP problem but a problem of the people in charge not knowing what they're doing. I have no experience with WP but I read e.g. Brenda Gillen's blog which is on WP.

I'm not sure, but it sounds like you're trying to help people who don't want to be helped (their fault not yours or your son's) and your son is caught in the middle.
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2011-04-18, 6:23am

Well they still can't get the library to work with the .php (calendar portion) of the site, but I believe you are correct. I think the main problem is people who know nada about how html works thinking that an editor like WP can do all the work for them. Instead, in my experience, the editor imposes restrictions on what you can do in other than a site that fits nicely within the editor's templates. I think the person who is "designing" the site for them must be getting pretty frustrated with the whole thing as well because these issues are not resolved. You know how it is, if they know how to remedy it, it should be fixed by now. Not a good thing for business, and I've had to look at it less because they "THINK" they know what they are doing, but it continues to limp along. The library/WP thing is only one of the issues - but a major one. I'll post again if it gets resolved. If you're interested the site is:
http://www.mississippistudios.com
Old 2011-04-18, 8:36pm

it's a sweet looking website. I clicked on the gallery and it looks like they just uploaded all the images into the page/post - are there more pictures that are part of the gallery?

Dori

Old 2011-04-18, 8:56pm

The library is working for the images on the gallery, menu pages and the widget at the top of the homepage. The central portion of the homepage, the calendar of shows, is the area that is controlled by .php (above my pay grade) and those images cannot be browsed or uploaded from the WP library. Maybe it's an issue of some rearrangement at the host, but I don't know why it seems to be taking so long for the guy who designed the original set up to get the two to play nicely. Thanks for your replies.
Old 2011-04-18, 10:56pm
Happy in AZ

I found that if you deactive ALL of the plugins, then check for problems and one by one add in a plugin. Many plugins have conflict with others. I stopped messing with the calendar plugin as it was my worst conflict - now I just use a spreadsheet I upload and change weekly. www.azriffs.com

Old 2011-04-19, 6:49am

Nancy, I can see you understand the calendar problems. I doubt they are going to get the calendar to work with the image library. I'm afraid it's a misfit from the start. Reminds me of every time I get a new version of virus protection - UGH! Thanks so much for your input.
Old 2011-04-19, 9:20am
Happy in AZ

You are welcome, I pulled my hair out for about 3 months until I finally went to an all day "WordCamp" and now the pieces are falling into place. It just took a major shift from what I know to what I had to know. Now I am changing all my sites to WP because the SEO is so much easier. My new site launched March 11 and already I am coming up on the first page of google organically, plus I like the themes I can purchase from elegantthemes.com.