No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-02-19, 9:19pm
Isellstuff&alsothings

Default WordPress For NOOBs?

A friend and I have decided to build a website to sell our wares. We don't know hooey about building a website but after checking around, we've decided to use WordPress to build it. Is that a bad idea? What about hosting a WordPress website, who do you recommend? What about a shopping cart, who do you use?

We bought a domain name through GoDaddy and they offer hosting, claim to have a lot of expertise with WordPress websites. I figured since the domain is parked there anyway, this would be the way to go. https://www.godaddy.com/hosting/web-...6gd15&ci=76393

But the WordPress website has Bluehost, Dreamhost and Laughing Squid as their recommendations. More than likely they know the best hosting sites for their software better than anyone, right? http://wordpress.org/hosting/

Love to hear any opinions on all the above, good or bad. Comments from WordPress users, any pet peeves, limitations on building a website with it? PM or email me if you'd rather not state problems here. My concern is whether this is the right software for building a site with literally hundreds of little items. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-02-19, 9:35pm
Isellstuff&alsothings

Ok, just realized I posted in the wrong section. Sorry about that admin, please move it for me.

Old 2013-02-19, 10:11pm
Happy in AZ

I use godaddy for my Wordpress sites. They are inexpensive. Support is ok unless you get a virus. They are not equipped to repair infected sites. HostGator will do a lot more to help but are a little more per month. PM me if you need help getting started.

Old 2013-02-19, 10:35pm

I use WordPress and it is ez. There are a lot of free templates to start with. I still use etsy for my shop
Steve

Old 2013-02-19, 11:13pm
Isellstuff&alsothings

Thanks for your input Nancy and Steve. Gosh, I've been living under a rock or something, I didn't know websites could get viruses! Or do you mean hacked, or is it something completely different?

Old 2013-02-19, 11:19pm
Happy in AZ

Hacked is a better way to put it. They got in two of my sites and added a page that looked like a Wells Fargo login page. Thank god godaddy caught it and called me. Now I have more layers of protection built in.

Old 2013-02-20, 1:23am
Hello?

I'm hosted on godaddy as well and run 2 wordpress blogs. There are wordpress shopping carts available but I don't use them so I can't offer and advice on that. I use a standalone shopping cart that is separate from the wordpress blog.

Old 2013-02-20, 8:41am
Happy in AZ

This is my incomplete site for art. Www.nancywhitedesigns.com. Wordpress still has a learning curve. I was already designing web sites for 4 years before i switched to Wordpress and i still needed to go to a conference for training. It is easier to use a web builder template from the web hosting company if this is your first experience.

Old 2013-02-20, 12:41pm
Marble Lover

The number 1 thing you need to do is make sure you get setup to receive email alerts from WordPress when they put out a new version and get your site updated ASAP. The update will be easy through the Admin Control Panel.

If you don't get it updated quickly, you run the risk of getting hacked. It's not pretty and not fun to recover from.

-BEP
Old 2013-02-20, 1:22pm
Isellstuff&alsothings

Thanks Joe! I like the way your blog is set up, the name too. I see you use Zen cart on your website, is it fairly easy to set up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvenueBeads View Post
I'm hosted on godaddy as well and run 2 wordpress blogs. There are wordpress shopping carts available but I don't use them so I can't offer and advice on that. I use a standalone shopping cart that is separate from the wordpress blog.

Old 2013-02-20, 1:25pm
Isellstuff&alsothings

Looks good so far, Nancy! I think I'll go with GoDaddy to host so I'll take a look at their web building templates too. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGlass View Post
This is my incomplete site for art. Www.nancywhitedesigns.com. Wordpress still has a learning curve. I was already designing web sites for 4 years before i switched to Wordpress and i still needed to go to a conference for training. It is easier to use a web builder template from the web hosting company if this is your first experience.

Old 2013-02-20, 1:30pm
Isellstuff&alsothings

Thanks for the info, Brian. I did go sign up for the updates too.

Ok, I'm getting a little nervous about using WordPress now; 2 comments about getting hacked using them. Is WordPress targeted more than other websites or is this just a comment regarding all websites in general?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepnewt View Post
The number 1 thing you need to do is make sure you get setup to receive email alerts from WordPress when they put out a new version and get your site updated ASAP. The update will be easy through the Admin Control Panel.

If you don't get it updated quickly, you run the risk of getting hacked. It's not pretty and not fun to recover from.

-BEP