Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-12-09, 11:19am

Default 32 gauge fine silver wire?

Does anyone know who carries this? I checked all my regular suppliers (Rio, Monsterslayer, Otto Frei, Ring Lord) and nobody has the 32 gauge. Thanks!

-Diane

My Facebook business page:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2011-12-09, 12:27pm
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane (clarus) View Post
Does anyone know who carries this? I checked all my regular suppliers (Rio, Monsterslayer, Otto Frei, Ring Lord) and nobody has the 32 gauge. Thanks!

-Diane
Just to clarify, Monsterslayer is out? Or they don't carry it anymore? I buy all my silver from them and bought a full spool of 32g fine from them a few months ago.
Old 2011-12-09, 12:57pm

The smallest they have is 30g. I have been using 30g and it works fine, but would like to get my hands on some 32g.

-Diane

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-12-09, 1:12pm
Growing Edge Glass

http://www.etsy.com/listing/58787260...facet=supplies

This is one seller I found on etsy.....10,686 feedback with 100% score....probably safe.

-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2011-12-09, 2:10pm
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Quote:
The smallest they have is 30g. I have been using 30g and it works fine, but would like to get my hands on some 32g.

-Diane
Well crap! I just Called them. Sure enough, they discontinued it. Dang.
Old 2011-12-09, 2:18pm
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truewealth View Post
http://www.etsy.com/listing/58787260...facet=supplies

This is one seller I found on etsy.....10,686 feedback with 100% score....probably safe.
That's kind of expensive for only 10 feet. 30g is only 19 cents a foot. 32g would be about 15 - 17 cents a foot. If I can't find a supplier I might have to invest in a draw plate and pull my own.
Old 2011-12-09, 3:09pm
A True Woofer

I got mine at Rio. But this was back in April or so.

Old 2011-12-09, 3:14pm

I saw that one on etsy and agree with Monica - $6.50 plus shipping is a lot for only 10 feet. For that I'll continue to use 30 gauge!

Monica - I have a high quality drawplate and it doesn't get small enough to do 32 gauge - the smallest size is .026 inches; that's .010 bigger than 22 gauge. I just checked at Rio Grande, and they have one that gets smaller, but only down to 31 gauge.....

-Diane

Old 2011-12-09, 3:40pm
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Quote:
I saw that one on etsy and agree with Monica - $6.50 plus shipping is a lot for only 10 feet. For that I'll continue to use 30 gauge!

Monica - I have a high quality drawplate and it doesn't get small enough to do 32 gauge - the smallest size is .026 inches; that's .010 bigger than 22 gauge. I just checked at Rio Grande, and they have one that gets smaller, but only down to 31 gauge.....

-Diane
Well double crap on that!! Ugh. I'm going to keep in looking. Someone has to have it! If I find it, I'll report back.
Old 2011-12-09, 5:52pm
Certified Glassaholic!

That sucks. Thank goodness I bought some a while back. Unfortunately it was still when silver was high. Has anyone asked Nicker? She used to sell it.

Old 2011-12-09, 6:46pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

I got a spool at FDJ on time

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2011-12-09, 6:46pm

Howaco has it.

Old 2011-12-09, 6:51pm
Fancy Mammal

I had been waiting until my next general wire buy to get it from Monsterslayer Silly me, that will teach me to be reasonable and wait because I don't need it right now!
Old 2011-12-09, 7:44pm

Thank you Deb! Of course - why didn't I think to check Howaco? $2 for 6 feet. Hopefully she has plenty. And I know her shipping prices are reasonable.

I just checked FDJ again and it's not listed on the website.

Thanks everyone for your help!

-Diane

Old 2011-12-09, 9:05pm
Established Thinker I Am

NOooooo, don't say this! How can they do that. Might just have to get on the horn again with them. I go through way too much for them NOT to sell it any more. boohoo.

l
l
l
Old 2011-12-09, 9:25pm
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Quote:
Originally Posted by taneres View Post
NOooooo, don't say this! How can they do that. Might just have to get on the horn again with them. I go through way too much for them NOT to sell it any more. boohoo.
Are you talking about Monsterslayer? Maybe if we did a bulk buy they would bring our friend back! LOL!
Old 2011-12-09, 9:32pm
Established Thinker I Am

Maybe....I think I might have been the one to talk them into carrying it regularly oh so long ago. Maybe I can talk 'em into it again. I do know that its not an easy/cheap process to get it from 30 to 32 gauge and that they at times had to 'order it' many months in advance. Not sure what they managed to swing to finally have it on their site on a regular basis, but I am uber sad to see it go and truly hope their supplier didn't konk out on them. I NEED my 32!

l
l
l
Old 2011-12-09, 10:34pm
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Well, I love Monsterslayer. I have been ordering from them for 15+ years. I get all my sterling from them and most of my other metal supplies.
Old 2011-12-10, 1:47am
Ad astra per aspera

Hagstoz in Philly USED to be willing to draw down wire, but that was at least 7 years ago. Still, it might be worth someone giving them a call. (I used to know the owner, but he pissed me off when he tried to suck my ex and I into Amway. LOL)

http://www.hagstoz.com/

Old 2011-12-10, 6:57am
Established Thinker I Am

I love Monsterslayer too. We've been buying from them for at least 15 years too. Their customer service is excellent. Before they were offering 32 I got on the phone with someone (can't remember who) several times to inquire about getting it through them. At first, I was just expecting to have to buy it in bulk. He was hesitant at first, but as you can see in the end he found a way to do it AND offer in their website.
I'll try and call next week and see if it could be ordered in bulk or just what is going on and then all inquire with Hagstoz too. Never heard of them Karen. Thanks for the idea!

l
l
l
Old 2011-12-10, 7:00am
Loving learning

There is a bulk buy about ended for wire, don't know if she already spoke to someone or was just going to order when everyone had their orders in.
Old 2011-12-10, 7:11am
Established Thinker I Am

I just asked her Eileen.

l
l
l
Old 2011-12-10, 7:13am

I have a large spool of this I bought for my own use and have it by the foot on my website-

Laurie

https://designerbeads.com/gallery/index.php?cPath=10

Old 2011-12-10, 8:25am

Ever thought of going straight to a manufacturer? I bought wire from them but it's been a few years since. The transaction was smooth and error free. They also offer refining and although I've been saying for years that I'm going to send in my scrap, I still haven't done it. I found D.H. Fell years ago when I was buying wire from a wholesaler to the trade in the jewelry district in downtown Los Angeles. They had left the sticker with the manufacturer's name on the spool of wire (which I had never seen them do before) and I spotted it when they were pulling my wire for purchase. The last order I placed with them was over $1200 and silver was selling for $12.00 an ounce. There are price breaks (if I remember correctly) with larger quantities. They offer up to 40 gauge (or should I say "down to" 40 g). Might be worth an inquiry...

http://www.dhfco.com/catalog.htm
Old 2011-12-10, 10:06am
Don't worry, bead happy!

I'm a noob...I ordered some of the 32 ga to try from Howaco during their Cyber Monday sale. Is there a significant difference between the 32 and 30 for doing the fine silver dots/trailing wire? Just wondering since it seems that 30 can be found quite a bit cheaper from RioGrande.

If 32 is just far superior then I will stick to buying it from Howaco...great service, great prices!
Old 2011-12-10, 11:28am
Established Thinker I Am

According to this page, silver is only offered to 28 gauge. Am I wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymmerz View Post
Ever thought of going straight to a manufacturer? I bought wire from them but it's been a few years since. The transaction was smooth and error free. They also offer refining and although I've been saying for years that I'm going to send in my scrap, I still haven't done it. I found D.H. Fell years ago when I was buying wire from a wholesaler to the trade in the jewelry district in downtown Los Angeles. They had left the sticker with the manufacturer's name on the spool of wire (which I had never seen them do before) and I spotted it when they were pulling my wire for purchase. The last order I placed with them was over $1200 and silver was selling for $12.00 an ounce. There are price breaks (if I remember correctly) with larger quantities. They offer up to 40 gauge (or should I say "down to" 40 g). Might be worth an inquiry...

http://www.dhfco.com/catalog.htm

l
l
l
Old 2011-12-10, 11:37am
make beads not war

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretta View Post
I'm a noob...I ordered some of the 32 ga to try from Howaco during their Cyber Monday sale. Is there a significant difference between the 32 and 30 for doing the fine silver dots/trailing wire? Just wondering since it seems that 30 can be found quite a bit cheaper from RioGrande.

If 32 is just far superior then I will stick to buying it from Howaco...great service, great prices!
Yes... It makes a big difference on how it balls up on the glass. 32 guage is super fine. Didn't like the how the 30 gauge looked.
Old 2011-12-10, 11:45am
Established Thinker I Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by villa design View Post
Yes... It makes a big difference on how it balls up on the glass. 32 guage is super fine. Didn't like the how the 30 gauge looked.
Yes, I totally agree with this. Bretta~ If you've never worked with 30 ga, you might want to give it a try, but I am sure you will find you prefer 32.

l
l
l
Old 2011-12-10, 12:01pm
Don't worry, bead happy!

Thanks for the advice! We are supposed to hook up my torch TONIGHT for the first time...much more exciting than putting up the Christmas Tree (so that will have to wait one more week..lol)!!! I'm done hijacking the thread now
Old 2011-12-10, 12:11pm

Laurie - your website says it is .32mm Fine Silver wire. .32mm = 28 gauge, .20mm = 32 gauge. I have used 28 gauge for viking knit, but it's a little too big to use for beads.

-Diane