No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-06-24, 9:21am
Choose the Right !

Default Cheap Ventilation

Just wondering if anyone can give me a heads up on being able to do some ventilation inexpensivley in Arizona. I rent at a house and dont have the option to knock a hole in the wall and install a ventilation hood etc. ( dont have the funds either) Plus its 110 degrees outside now, so I'm not sure how opening a window would go over either. Does anyone have an idea of how to pull off ventilation under these circumstances ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-06-24, 9:35am
Gentleman of Leisure

The only way to move air through "studio" for ventilation is to open doors or windows...

There is no cheap easy solution here if you have to use only doors and windows, You are going to bring heat in if you want to vent bad things out...

Only solution is to work at night or early morning when it may be cooler.... Other option is no ventilation and that will seriously hurt you and any others in house... This means people and pets....

Sorry there is no magic answer here...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-06-24, 10:49am
Yeller Rose

http://andreaguarino.com - Check with Andrea about the Spa vent fan she uses.
It can be vented thru the window by opening the window, use plywood in the space (snug into the window track), cover the edges with foam insulation. Mount the vent hose thru the plywood. Removes easily, with no damage to window. My husband did this with the vent hose and my fuel hoses (tanks are chained outside). Barb
Old 2007-06-24, 2:27pm

I'm in Alabama and working out of my garage with my "temporary" ventilation for almost 2 years. I don't have air conditioning in there either. Oh, and it's only 95 right now, but we get humidity to help make up for the difference in Arizona heat!

I needed to be able to put up and take down my ventilation quickly and easily. I didn't want to spend a lot either.
This is what I came up with:

http://community.webshots.com/user/seabeads

If you don't want to lose too much air conditioning, I would "pipe in" air from an outside source to come in right under your vent fan. In that way you will draw out the unconditioned outside air and be able to keep more of your cool air. You can use the same window for both if you had too, but you would need to run your intake ducting to at least 10 feet away from your exhaust area.

Caveat - I am not a role model for ventilation, but this is working well for me and I think I am pretty safe. I use a disposable 3M 8233 N100 Respirator rated for metal fumes for my rare "heavy metal days". I am also only using a Minor Burner with soft glass. A bigger torch has bigger needs.

Joanne