LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-07-10, 9:47pm
Farewell promises nothing

Default Tanked Natural Gas... Anyone have a gas kiln?

I was just gifted with a large natural gas kiln (probably too big to anneal in, but hey, a free kiln!!) and I have no idea how to go about getting it up and running. There is no gas line into the building where I am staying, but I know back home you can get tanks filled with Natural Gas like you would propane. Is there anything like that here in Oregon (near Portland)? Anything I should know about all of this?
Old 2007-07-11, 7:46am
Gentleman of Leisure

Getting the kiln was a nice experience but I dont think it will be very practical to use for glass annealing.... Typically the temperature of a gas fired kiln is harder to control then a electric kiln. For annealing glass this may be a recipe for disaster. For Ceramics work it probably is a very viable kiln... As for tanked natural gas, I double you will find it, I have not heard of it even being available in any area I have been in... It has always been a piped in commodity as far as I know... Only tanked natural gas application I know of is some vehicle and busses in our area use it but its not available as a consumer fuel tanked like propane...

Probably with a little checking with manufacturer you will find it will probably be able to use it on propane with a little adjustment of burner....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2007-07-11 at 7:49am.
Old 2007-08-02, 12:06pm
William Hagy

Make some ceramics! I agree with Dale.

~W~

50mm & 40mm Herbert Arnold Zenit Burners,Carlisle cc/cc+/mini,Liquid O2.
Old 2007-08-02, 5:10pm
Farewell promises nothing

I would love to, but I would have to get the kiln from Oregon back home before I got too into all that. Anyone interested in a gas kiln?