LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2018-01-11, 7:27pm

I just came across this website (and Facebook page) and thought if might of interest to those that have been following this thread.

They have a vast knowledge base and tons of free tutorials. It does seem to be mostly focused on fusing but still lots of interesting information.

https://glasswithapast.com/
https://www.facebook.com/Glass.With.a.Past
Old 2018-01-11, 10:44pm

Yeah, bottle glass is pretty much a monochrome thing if you aren't in the mood to experiment. On the other hand, we've seen that silver wire can add interest. Baking soda would probably give it a great beach-glass effect, and mica powders, glow powder, and dichroic extract (if you're really careful) don't care what COE they're applied to. There's nothing wrong with sculptural or textural work either. Let there be lumpiness!
Old 2019-07-07, 5:52pm

Default Bombay sapphire gin bottle

Hi. This is my first post in this group. I haven't even got my torch just yet. It's arriving in a couple days. A second hand minor. Recycling and up-cycling has Ben a life long endeavor. Some may say I am a cheap bastard. But I know it's a good thing to do not to buy and toss. I'm so excited to notice that my glass worker intuition is already working. I want tho make my first attempts at beads with bottles. And guess what. Today I bought for a buck aN empty bottle of Bombay sapphire gin at a cheap flea market I go to. One of the most mentioned bottles in this thread. I ll post what I make with it, well, once I do something like a bead. Thanks to Robin for the nice list. I also got a black glass bottle of some perfume I hope will also work. This possibility opens an enormous field of research for me. Experimenting with glass has been for decades in my to do list. And finally I'm getting there. Thanks to all those who share their knowledge.
Old 2019-07-08, 9:07am

Welcome to the party, and good luck in your endeavors! Good choice of bottles, too. Bombay Sapphire bottle glass is beautiful stuff, fairly easy to work, and you get a lot of bang for your buck, since the bottles are thick-walled. I've never tried perfume bottles, but I do know that black tends to become purple, dark green, or dark blue when stretched out thin enough. Have fun!