LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-05-14, 10:20am

Default The many ways to dip frit: PLEASE submit yours!!

I know this has been discussed before. THIS time though, I’d like to be able to post your ideas and images on my website in the section entitled The Frit Files: The many ways of dipping frit! I’d like you to share what you use to hold your frit while you dip, why you like it, where to buy it, etc. If you have a picture, that’s great. If not, that’s fine too! I will give you full credit for whatever kind of information you give. I’m not picky! Any idea is great. I want people to have a whole bunch of ideas! Also, if you ever decide to remove your idea, just let me know! Right now, the only frit dipping suggestion is mine. I use 2 methods – depending on how much frit I have. I know there are many great ideas out there, please let me share them! You can share them by replying to this post. I’ll do the leg work from there. Once I post your suggestion, I’ll contact you.

The URL to The Frit Files is http://beadgoodies.com/pages/fritfiles.php

Thanks for any help!

Candy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-05-14, 3:01pm

I use those triangular metal beading trays. Nice and shallow, with corners for pouring it back into the pot.

Old 2007-05-14, 3:29pm
I think I could be a bead

Default My frit dippers

Here's what I use: I bought the spoons at a thrift store for about 10 cents. I bought the shot glass at a dollar store for $1. I use them all of the time.

Mallory

Old 2007-05-14, 4:31pm

Good ones, ladies! Thanks for responding. I've already included your ideas on my website: http://beadgoodies.com/pages/fritcontainers2.php

Candy

Old 2007-05-14, 5:52pm

I prefer keeping mine in glass spice rack jars...like these. I can peel the sticker off the frit and stick it on the bottle or lid. I can apply the frit right from the bottle-just tilt it and put the bead in through the hole

I'm looking at getting a gross or so of the jars at some point, unless I come across a good stash at a thrift store soon. I can store the jars in...spice racks, LOL, which I have also found at thrift stores! Plus mount some little shelves in my workroom too. Probably go with the shelves soon.

http://www.spicebarn.com/economy_spice_jars.htm

I've got way cool handmade bags for sale in the Garage Sale area for a buck each!
Old 2007-05-14, 6:55pm
Entropy increasing....

I use those mini stainless steel gravy boats. The mouth part is just perfect for the mandrel to fit into and they pour really well. They aren't perfect, however. I am still looking for the perfect frit holder.
Old 2007-05-15, 5:50am

Okay! Thank you ladies! I've added your ideas/methods to my site.

http://www.beadgoodies.com/pages/fritcontainers2.php

Old 2007-05-15, 9:34am
Heart Of Glass Beads

I use these really shallow glass candle holders (they are for pillar candles - they have a tiny lip on them, just enough to go up around the candle... probably about 1/4" deep) that I got at Pier 1 a couple of years ago. They work GREAT.

Carla

Shine-On Glow In The Dark Glass available in 104, 96, 90 COE. PM for Details
Old 2007-05-15, 9:55am

Candy
I really enjoyed looking at your site. Really nice
I use a lid off a metal watch case on a sm paper plate. If you make a mess, it is easy to clean up and not waste any frit.

Old 2007-05-15, 11:58am
Viking Flame Keeper

I use small soya sauce dishes found in the local Chinese supermarket. They are square, appr 2"x3", and perfect as it's possible to roll the bead in the frit without spilling.

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Old 2007-05-15, 1:55pm

Carla, Pattie, & Kikki: Thank you!

Glass candle holders, metal watch case, & soya sauce dishes.

I must say, lampworkers are resourceful!! See, I love that! Really weird stuff. I never would have thought of ANY of these!

Your suggestions have been posted at http://beadgoodies.com/pages/fritcontainers2.php Any probs, let me know.

Candy

Candy

Old 2007-05-15, 3:18pm
Spell check please

I use those little round metal au-jus dipping cups. I can leave frit in them and stack them up. One inside of the other. I like them because they were cheep at 4 for $1.00, I can use a little frit in it if i tip it sideways and i love that i can stack up 3-4 of them and put them away. They are smaller on the bottom so they don't tip over. I have even made frit in them by filling with water then putting the end of a molten glass rod in it.

Elaine
Old 2007-05-15, 5:59pm

I have a set of flat bottom measuring spoons (a couple of bucks at Meijer's grocery store) bend the handle so it sits flat on the table. Pretty much just use the 1/2 tsp and the 1 tsp. unless I'm making BIG beads.
Kay
(Mom to Jenn, Lu and Rhe)
Old 2007-05-15, 10:23pm
Dazed and Confused!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitefire View Post
I use those little round metal au-jus dipping cups. I can leave frit in them and stack them up. One inside of the other. I like them because they were cheep at 4 for $1.00, I can use a little frit in it if i tip it sideways and i love that i can stack up 3-4 of them and put them away. They are smaller on the bottom so they don't tip over. I have even made frit in them by filling with water then putting the end of a molten glass rod in it.

Elaine
DITTO...I get mine at Dollar Tree and they are stainless steel. They call them Condiment Cups. I love them and have them lying all over my studio! LOL
Old 2007-05-16, 12:26am

I cut soda or beer cans and they work fine for me with a bit of bending the edges to remove the sharp edges. Cheap and very easy to make.
Old 2007-05-16, 6:59am
Burning Fingers!

I use the flat metal replaceable tops used for canning - I think "Bernardin" is the brand. When I'm finished, I use a paper funnel to pour it back into the jar or bag.
Old 2007-05-16, 7:41am

I use a frit tray that my husband built for me out of stainless shim stock. I love it because the frit doesn't skitter away from the bead when I roll it in the frit. Pours back into even the small sample jars with ease. Now as to the way I usually roll the bead in the frit I make a round bead then lay on a couple of wraps of the same colored glass, heat just the wraps and dip in the frit then melt in the frit a little to keep it adhered, repeat on all edges of wrap. When the frit coated wrap is melted in it spreads the frit out nicely and I usually use a gravity swirl to spice it up.

Old 2007-05-16, 7:43am

Sorry didn't realize you just wanted the equipment not the technique. What I get for not reading everything!
Old 2007-05-16, 8:28am
Glass my new Obsession

I use a graphite mold

Tina

Old 2007-05-16, 9:26am
Booger #7

My friend Stacy's husband made us both frit trays from a piece of pipe cut in half with a little base riveted on it for stability. Works great and it is just the right sizt that when you are done you just funnel the frit back into your jar!
Attached Images

Old 2007-05-16, 1:00pm
Glass-aholic

I love the ceramic chinese spoons! they are less than a $!
________
Redhead Webcams

Last edited by jaci; 2011-04-17 at 7:24pm.
Old 2007-05-16, 2:48pm

Thank you Elaine, Kay, Janet, Linda, Ginny, kittyluv4ever, Tina, Sue, and Jaci! I've already updated my website w/your ideas. http://beadgoodies.com/pages/fritcontainers2.php

Honestly, I thought there'd be a lot more teaspoon users! You all are using beer cans and pipes!! LOL Well, whatever works!

Candy

Old 2007-05-17, 12:00am

Lol Candy, free, plentiful, easy to make and use works best for me I can take a picture of one of mine if you'd like.