No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-05-24, 5:26pm
William Hagy

Exclamation Hood for Furnce & Glory hole

I just transported all the equipment back to the studio in order to make this place glowing hot form outter space........and I was interested in some feedback on hood size for the furnace equipment. the furnace as well as the glary hole are set up with low pressure natural gas burners 40-150 btu (thousnads) for the furnace and 25-95 btu for the glory hole.

I have worked out of studio's with all sorts of different set-ups for ventilation and I'm fixed on a "garage" style hood 16' x 5' w/back wall and side walls.

Comments or suggestions?

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

50mm & 40mm Herbert Arnold Zenit Burners,Carlisle cc/cc+/mini,Liquid O2.
Old 2007-05-24, 5:29pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Move lots of air.....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-05-24, 5:45pm
William Hagy

well thats what the 2400cfm roof mount fan is for.... I was curious about how deep the hood should be overall.

Old 2007-05-24, 6:35pm
What, Me Worry?

Are you asking relative to heat removal or combustion product gases removal?

Me
Old 2007-05-24, 6:55pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Would seem to me if you are effectively removing the heat, you are propbably removing the combustion by products.... Whats the phrase, "follow the heat path".

Dale

Old 2007-05-24, 7:05pm
What, Me Worry?

Your right Dale!

Me
Old 2007-05-25, 8:27am
William Hagy

I would like to reduce heat as well remove gases....I was trying to come up with a plan for the overall hood dimentions without building a complete garage over it ~but more less a open front canopy. ~would it matter so much the depth of the hood with the 2400cfm roof mount fan pulling the air striaght up and out with a minimal distance of 4-5'?

Old 2007-05-25, 8:46am
Gentleman of Leisure

How much area (floor space) does the equipment that produces heat and combustion by products ACTUALLY occupy... IF its a space 3 feet deep and 8 feet wide, that would be 24 square feet, the roughly translates to 2400cfm. (100 cfm per square foot) ... The is floor space fits you fan parameters...

You first numbers (16x5) is 80 sqft feet that means you would probably need a fan/blower capable of 8000 cfm..... But seems terrible huge....

Dale

Old 2007-05-25, 9:05am
William Hagy

True Dale.....on point with the overall floor space ~the furnace has a footprint of 4' x 4' and the glory hole 3' x 4' the annealer is 6' x 4' x 3' deep (the annie I'm notta so worried about ventilation) however the furnace will be producing a great deal of heat as well ~silica gasses.......funny thing (not so funny) is that I purchased this equipment from a man who laughed when I asked about his ventilation specs......"I never used exhaust" and low and behold one day a light fixture fell on his head because the mounting bolts had melted off........so yeah.

Hood dimentions? 3' tapered from center to 14" is what I had in mind....

Old 2007-05-27, 2:34pm
What, Me Worry?

Hmmm... depth of hood.

There are two ways to look at depth of hood.

One is as a funnel. If we think of it as a funnel, it is collecting something from one place and funneling it to another, just like a funnel used when pouring motor oil into that little oil hole, only upside down. Doesn't really matter how badly I pour the oil, it all will be funneled to the middle and then into the engine. Thus the depth is defined by the distance from the something going in, to the point something goes out - and the necessary slope. Slopes in air handling are nominally 15 and 30 degrees and never more than 45 degrees - from vertical.

One is a tub. If we think of it as a tub, it is collecting and holding something until that something can be emptied, just like a bath tub, only upside down. Thus the depth is defined by the volume it must adequately hold until in can be removed. Thus it is most commonly has 'straight' sides that are not sloped. But why a tub? Usually because a system is designed for a 'nominal flow' but must make allowance for excessive flow... ie... there must be something to hold the extra flow until the system can catch up. For simple heated air transfer it's really not required because, no big deal if it 'overflows'. For combustion products yes, especially if the products are generated at rates that sometimes exceed the nominal exhaust rate. However, if the exhaust rate is sized such that it is always greater than the input, then depth is of little concern. I think that's where Dale is leading you... designing and sizing such that it can exhaust without potential for overflow... because the rate of combustion product generation can quickly overcome even a really really large tub. For example, how quickly would a 10' x 10' x 10' tub fill, if filled a the rate only 100 CFM... Answer: 10 minutes. (I wish my bath would fill that fast ).

I realize this all may sound heretical but consider this... how deep does a kitchen sink need to be if the drain is always open and the water is flowing into the drain?... but if it's a slow drain (like my bath room sink ), it needs sides.

Gas is fluid (not at liquid, but fluid), and in our case everything is upside down. Where gravity rules water, thermal bouyancy rules gas. Hot gas (or air) rises, like water falls (technically, in fluid dynamics it's actually gravitational bouyancy because we like to confuse folks with terminology that sounds contradictory). Whenever you look at your design, turn it upside down and think of the hot gas as water... where will it flow to... where will it go, and the water faucet is the item creating the gas.

I apologize now if it sounds like I'm being too simplistic. This is just the way I explain things. Maybe it's from hanging with a science fanatic grandchild too much. It's also the way I explain torches... looks like a water hose, turned on low or high, just upside down - stick something in the water stream and water goes everywhere.

But, the way things really work, versus what most folks expect to see must be considered. If your studio will be used by the public, add a good sized hood depth. It's impressive, and it's easier than trying to explain why not.

Me

Last edited by bhhco; 2007-05-27 at 2:38pm.
Old 2007-05-28, 2:04pm
William Hagy

Thanks! ~we are both on the same page!! LOL! I cant wait to get the furnace HOT!!!!!!

~W~