TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Old 2012-07-09, 3:48pm

Default Fritting the Sides

I always seem to have trouble getting frit everywhere I need it to be and then the solution hit me... so I wrote a quick tut:

http://hollysfollybeads.blogspot.com...ing-sides.html

And that motivated me to to create a page for all my tuts:
http://hollysfollybeads.blogspot.com/p/tutorials.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-07-09, 4:11pm
Senior Moment

Clever idea! Missing frit on the side drives me nuts too.

Alli
Old 2012-07-09, 4:41pm

Interesting idea. Thanks for posting.

I put frit on the bead while it's still in disc form, first one side of the disk against my marver, then the other, then the center ridge. Then I melt it down to round. Covers the whole bead very nicely, but probably only works for round beads, and if you're not careful, the frit may stretch a bit.

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2012-07-09, 8:56pm

Melissa, Yes, I have the stretching issue which I don't really like....8-(

So I often preshape and then frit.

Old 2012-07-10, 7:37am
Glass-aholic

This is a good idea for deep indents and such.

For the sides I put Frit in a spoon and spot heat the area to pick up Frit. The spoon really gives you the maneuverability around the bead in most any shape. I have a few different sizes on hand.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-07-10, 8:05am

Jaci, I tried that too... but I work HOT... and the spoon gets too hot for me! I kinda freak when that happens.

Old 2012-07-10, 5:51pm

Default Thanks

Hey Holly,
Cool tip, thanks
Old 2012-07-10, 6:02pm

8-D

Old 2012-07-10, 6:05pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Cool idea! I roll mine in frit before shaping, I like the way it spreads with the extra heating. I use a metal measuring cup (Ikea) and dump a whole bunch of frit in it, make the bead toward the end of the mandrel and when it's good and hot, roll in the frit. Heat slowly to make sure the frit doesn't stick to the mandrel on the ends, then shape.

Old 2012-07-10, 7:36pm

Very cool idea,Holly I like it!
"

Old 2012-07-10, 8:46pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila D. View Post
Cool idea! I roll mine in frit before shaping, I like the way it spreads with the extra heating. I use a metal measuring cup (Ikea) and dump a whole bunch of frit in it, make the bead toward the end of the mandrel and when it's good and hot, roll in the frit. Heat slowly to make sure the frit doesn't stick to the mandrel on the ends, then shape.
Sheila, I always end up with frit that looks stretched like when I work like that and... I tend to run out of frit. I prefer to work with small amounts of it anyway as it's really easy to contaminate your frit. The bead in the tut was to contain cremains... and I got too many ashes in on my first pass. When I went to pick up frit... ashes in the frit! I had to toss it!

Many of the teachers I've studied with THROW OUT their frit at the end of a session (me?? I'm way too cheap!) and having had a bead shatter over my frit plate and bead release breaking off... I can get their logic.

Old 2012-07-11, 10:57am
Ezzy

Thank you for the tip, Holly. Sometimes when I'm making my goddesses I need a bit of frit on a boob, or a bum, or a dimple and I've puzzled over how to get just the right amount in just the right place and I think this is going to work beautifully. Thanks for sharing.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2012-07-11, 11:56am

Great idea! Thanks for posting!
Old 2012-07-11, 12:39pm

Today, I tried taking a bead... making sure I had enough (or almost enough) glass by pressing it, melting it back round, rolling in frit and repressing... Not only was this overly tedious (shaping it twice), I STILL has a frit-less spot and ended up doing it like in the tut to fix!