Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-09-18, 9:34am
Noobie

Default Best Glass for HH

Hi,
I am getting ready to buy a bunch of glass and I had read somewhere that there are some types of Moretti glass that melt better with a HH..I know the transparents were one type..but what about the opaque's, oplino, alabaster. Filigrana, Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thank You
Cherie
Old 2007-09-18, 9:36am

They're all fine for a HH. The transparents are actually a bit more stiff than the opaques, but all Moretti works just fine. The alabasters and opalinos are shocky, but once you get the hang of them they're no big deal. If there was anything I would not get right away, it would be those. Filigrana is also shocky, by the way.

"Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time." ~Thomas Merton
Old 2007-09-18, 8:04pm

When I was on my HH I used mostly Effetre, but Bullseye works just fine too. I agree, the opalinos are a bit shocky and the burn easily. I don't use them.

I could never get Raku or Dark Silver Plum to work on my HH.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2007-09-18, 9:56pm
Glass-aholic

no problems yet with any 104 glass, some of the shocky glass takes a bit of getting used to, but nothing is impossible or overly difficult tp manipulate. Get the pretty colors!!! the ones you like, and some reactive colors! RAKU has not done much for mr unless i pull stringer first, but thats it.... i have transarents, opaque's, oplino, alabaster, filigrana... i love my oplino's and alabasters!! i love the way they react with frit and tranparents.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2007-09-19, 12:50am
I need more boro stuff

I tried to use Supernova but nothing happen on my HH.
I love using Bullseye and Moretti/Vetrofond.
I use opalino and alabaster as well, I found out that dark pink is the hardest to use, always has bubbles and sometimes I loose the color.

The best color I ever get from raku out of my HH (thanks to Dawn):

Old 2007-09-19, 5:11am
Facebook addict

Satake is another glass that works great on a HH. Try it, it melts like butter! I believe there is a vendor on here called dogmaw that sells satake glass.

Mini cc w/2, 5 lpm concentrators
Old 2007-09-19, 10:30am

You can melt Jess @ PhoenixArtGlass.com 's 96COE vintage glasses on that hothead too It's a little stiffer, but works just fine & dandy. (actually, *any* of the 96 will melt! Someday I'll even get ahold of some of the Gaffer, Caliente, Gail's gorgeous glass, etc. that's out there....) Nice thing about COE 96 is that you can PILE on the frit--no % rule, no worries on COE compatability!
~luna
glass freak....
(now if I just had the budget to match )

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies