LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-05-30, 1:31pm

Default Cable necklaces-do your beads slide off?

I was wondering what technique other people use to stop their beads from sliding off the cable necklaces? Those 3 strand ones where you can slide a bead on over the little skinny push/twist catch? I bought some here on a bulk buy and so far I have used sterling crimp covers which I crimp on at the ends near the catches and they do a good job but has anyone else got another solution which has so far escaped me? I just wonder if the sterling crimp covers are up to having the beads banging up against them occasionally when the necklaces are being put on. Should I be glueing them on too and if so what glue?

Thanks
Kym
Old 2008-05-30, 1:37pm

Interesting question, I never thought there was a need to keep them from sliding off, I usually sell the cable and the bead separately. Perhaps you could try the new tool that turns the crimp into a rounded silver bead? Jeri

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still selling beadstands but no more Puffy Mandrels.
Old 2008-05-30, 1:59pm

I have that tool, I just need to buy the right silver crimps for it. The problem is those crimps won't fit over the catch. I didn't think of the beads sliding off either initially but if you drop one end when you are putting it on or off, the beads do just slide off. I don't know about anyone else but I can almost guarantee I will drop it a couple of times LOL.

Kym
Old 2008-05-30, 7:48pm
Life is change. Love it

I don't use anything. All my pendants slide of the chans they come on. Many customers have commented that they like to be able to take beads/pendants off and switch them to different length chains.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-05-30, 10:20pm
Glass-aholic

I never thought of it either. I suppose you could wire wrap them, or glue the bead with epoxy or the crimp beads (or other decorative bead as stopper) You might try rubber tubing cut to fit the length of the bead, and fit the bead to it and then use it like the stopper beads with the gel in the middle. <<<---oh they might too, Karen Thomas has the stopper beads with the gel in the middle that you just slide onto bangles, but the bangles are thin, and the gel is thick, so it might work, and they are silver.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-05-30, 11:32pm

Jaci! See! Right there you had 3 ideas I hadn't even thought of!
I am going to try the wirewrapping thing since I have some DS sterling wire but the stopper bead glued on the ends of the end catches sounds easy enough too.
Carolyn, I looked at your Ebay but I am still not sure what you mean...could post a pic of how you set them up?

Thanks!

Kym

Last edited by Kym; 2008-05-30 at 11:37pm.
Old 2008-05-31, 9:12am
Life is change. Love it

Like this. Sorry for the blurry pic, I just grabbed a pendant I made for my daughter and didn't have time to set up for a good picture

With my pendants I give people the option of silver chain (expensive) or cable choker (cheaper)
Attached Images

Old 2008-05-31, 9:27am
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kym View Post
Jaci! See! Right there you had 3 ideas I hadn't even thought of!
I am going to try the wirewrapping thing since I have some DS sterling wire but the stopper bead glued on the ends of the end catches sounds easy enough too.
Carolyn, I looked at your Ebay but I am still not sure what you mean...could post a pic of how you set them up?

Thanks!

Kym
Kym I had not thought of them either until i started typing

Carolyn that is pretty!

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-06-02, 12:55am

Thanks for posting that lovely pendant, Carolyn, now I understand. If I wanted to put some beads on either side of the pendant though they would slip off if I drop one end of the necklace when handling it. It must be just me though that does things like that.
I was thinking too that if I do use the glued on stopper beads on either side of the ends of the catch, that might also make it easier for people with problem hands like arthritis to find the catch and twist it.
Thanks for all your help ladies!

Kym
Old 2008-06-02, 7:00am
Glass-aholic

not just you . I do that too. (both ways)

Good Idea about the arthritis...