Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2008-07-26, 10:42pm

Default Hot Head and Propane

Can I use propane with a hot head or does it have to be MAPP gas? (which I think is propylene with an additive for more heat?) These little canisters are not lasting long at all!! Propane is much more easy for me to get.
Old 2008-07-27, 1:58am
I speak Murrini!

Yes, you can use Propane. Do yourself a huge favor, though, and DON'T buy into a "swap" such as Blue Rhino, etc. You might want to invest in a fresh, new tank from Home Depot (the 20lb. one will last you a good, long time), and have it filled locally - there's probably a station nearby that can do that for you.

You will also need a proper hose, which can be purchased from many of our vendors, such as Delphi, Blue Moon, LB Supply, Frantz, etc.

DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-07-27, 5:41am

Thank you. I have a hose. Just have to see if it fits or if it will need an adapter. Is propane going to work as well without oxygen (get as hot as MAPP)?

Thanks again!
Old 2008-07-27, 6:13am

Mapp is just a brand name. A brazing fuel is all it needs to be. I used to use Chemtane (available in the Chicago area), and bought a 10 pound tank and a 5 pound one for backup, I'd drive to Chicago, and the guys would fill them for me. Brazing fuel burns a bit hotter, and cleaner than propane. Big tanks do need to be kept outside.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-07-27, 6:31am

I'm not sure what companies you have there but what we did when we lived in the DC area was contacted an oxygen or welding supply place and we bought out tank from then and they filled it with a MAPP equivalent (I can't remember what they called theirs but they mixed it). We got a tank a little bit bigger than a barbecue propane tank. When I switched over to my mini-CC they swapped the tank out for me and gave me a new propane tank.

Old 2008-07-27, 6:48am

I've used straight propane for years with no problems...

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2008-07-27, 8:26am
Disconnected

Same here. Blue Rhino propane and lovin'it!

Old 2008-07-27, 9:59am

I use propane too. Own my own BBQ tank (that way I don't get rusty icky things that were in someones back yard for 2 years & have to put them in my car!--I keep my tank nice & clean, under cover--OUTSIDE--but tidy!) & get it refilled locally. Quite happy with it.

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-07-27, 2:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
*snip*...DON'T buy into a "swap" such as Blue Rhino, etc....*snip*
What is the issue with Blue Rhino?
Old 2008-07-27, 3:50pm
Gentleman of Leisure

It is "argued" that Blue Rhino propane is dirty........

As for the argument that exchange tanks that are less that pristine in appearance are not good is just a personal preference, mainly just aesthetics. Tanks have to be pressure tested and inspected on regular basis. IF there is any doubt about tanks safety factor check latest inspection date on tank safety collar.

I have always used Amerigas exchange tanks and have never had a fuel related issue. As for aesthetics, a tank is a tank, its the fuel inside not the ugly outside that is important.

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2008-07-27, 3:54pm

Unless you're wearing light colored clothing & rub up against it when you're moving it
(hey Dale--lots of us here are women & forget to wear "dirty" clothes when we have to move the tank!)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-07-27, 4:45pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
Unless you're wearing light colored clothing & rub up against it when you're moving it
(hey Dale--lots of us here are women & forget to wear "dirty" clothes when we have to move the tank!)

Well, I'm a single guy that pretty much wears whatever is on the floor and stinks the least....hey, wait a minute, maybe that's part of my problem!
Old 2008-07-27, 4:51pm

could be Ricky, could be

(actually, I inevitably am wearing my "work"--read: job that pays the rent--uniform--which is light tan pants when I pick up my tank--and if I was swapping for one with "ick" on it, well, lets just say I've learned every way to *ruin* those work pants possible...and "stained" = "ruined"....sigh...)

Old 2008-07-27, 4:54pm

I switch to jeans as soon as I get home, and they're functional - if they get dirty, I wash them, if they stay dirty, oh well... They have a permanent wear spot from using my right thigh to rub my graphite marver on every time before I use it. Yeck to tan pants - but our dress code is a black skirt, sooooo... Flip a coin which is more of a pain...

~:
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2008-08-25, 1:36pm
Wonderland sounds fun...

Do I need to have a flashback arrestor or gauge to hook propane to my hothead?

*+.+*
C L E A R A N C E Sale in my Etsy *+.+*
Old 2008-08-28, 5:32am

Cool Additional question

Hi everybody. Newbie here. Mind if I jump aboard?

I have a Hot Head and had a welding supply place make a gas mixture for me. They gave me something marked HGX. Said they had made that mixture for other glass workers. They were so proud of themselves because they painted the tank orange for me. Problem is, I can't seem to make a bead without the scum factor when I use it. Don't have that problem with MAPP. Any ideas? Sure would like to make it work, if I can.

Thanks!
Old 2008-08-28, 8:30am
Gentleman of Leisure

HGX..... A flame enhancement additive for bulk Propane.

http://www.energyadditives.com/html/...e__hgx-3_.html

http://www.energyadditives.com/html/...__hgx-3r_.html

And this is what it is.........

http://www.energyadditives.com/html/msds__hgx-3r_.html

Relates to a simple additive to BULK PROPANE to possible increase burn temperature characteristics......

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2008-08-28 at 8:42am.
Old 2008-08-31, 5:29am

I have a question. I've always used a minor with 02 and propane. When the 02 goes out, the bead gets scummy just staying in the propane. Add the o2 back in and it burns off the scum. If you're just using propane or mapp, how do you keep the glass clean?

Laurie Lee Breeden
Old 2008-08-31, 7:52am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyHaak View Post
I have a question. I've always used a minor with 02 and propane. When the 02 goes out, the bead gets scummy just staying in the propane. Add the o2 back in and it burns off the scum. If you're just using propane or mapp, how do you keep the glass clean?
If you you have a fuel/oxygen torch and are in a propane rich flame your have exceedingly reducing flame....

A HH is a fuel/AIR torch that constantly draws air from around it to support combustion, since room air is only about 19% oxygen (+/-) it is a reducing to neutral flame.... Since air flow into torch is a constant you adjust flame chemistry and heat by adding or reducing the fuel. And you have to find the best location in flame where to work the glass. You have to find the "sweet spot" in flame where heat is still intense but combustion on "more" complete, usually 1-1/2 to 3 inches for front rim of torch... This is also why a fuel/air torch is slower to work in and produces less heat (BTU) than a fuel /oxygen torch.

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2008-08-31 at 7:56am.
Old 2008-09-01, 7:09am

Thank you Dale. I'll be away from home for 3 months and want to be able to do something with glass.

Laurie Lee Breeden
Old 2008-09-01, 11:27am
Wonderland sounds fun...

Does anyone know how long a 20 lb tank of propane lasts on a hot head? I'm just wondering about how often I would have to change my tank as compared to my Mapp containers. My Mapp gas 1 lb containers last about 3-4 hours. I know that 20 lb of propane doesn't actually contain 20 lbs of gas plus with the fact that propane doesn't burn as hot as Mapp, I'm just curious about how many hours could I expect my propane to last.

*+.+*
Old 2008-09-01, 12:52pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Propane weighs 4.25 pounds per gallon. There is 4.7 gallons of propane in a #20 tank... For a total of 19.9 pounds...

Usually a #1 cylinder holds between 14 to 16 oz (brand dependent).. So if you get 3-4 hours per #1 cylinder, you should get 60 to 80 hours of use from #20 cylinder (just by the math), but your time may vary....

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2008-09-01 at 7:48pm.
Old 2008-09-01, 7:43pm
Wonderland sounds fun...

Thanks Dale! Wow, that sounds sooo much cheaper than paying 8 bucks a pop for MAPP. When I did the math I came up with something similar but it sounded too good to be true hence me asking here. Wow... I've been spending so much $ when I didn't need to. I'm such an idiot!

*+.+*
Old 2008-09-03, 3:55pm

I have been using propane instead of MAPP and I'm happy with it so far. Had to clean the HH because it became ultra reducing, but that was relatively easy and quick.

You aren't an idiot, KB