Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-05-20, 6:25am

Question Apple Core Bead

Is there anyone has an idea about how to make Liliana's Apple core bead?
I'm very curious about it :S
Old 2010-05-20, 6:48am
Flaming Redhead!

She has written a tutorial on how to do it... http://www.etsy.com/listing/45816590...the-apple-core

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness.
- John Keats
Old 2010-05-20, 6:58am
Borovangelist

Sweet! I kind of know how to do those, but I still manage to screw it up

|
|
Old 2010-05-20, 9:11am

Really? I made lots of practises but failed.
in the picture of the bead, whole cells looks splayed and center of the bead looks very thin.
I don’t understand how can she give this splayed effect.
Do you have an idea?
Old 2010-05-20, 9:20am

I am assuming you have purchased the tutorial? Just write her and ask her for support on her tutorial.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2010-05-20, 9:36am

No, I haven't. just trying to make predictions about how to do
Old 2010-05-20, 9:48am
da General

Cansu - the etiquette in the lampworking community is that if there is a tutorial for sale on a technique, it's uncool for anyone to discuss and dissect such technique on a forum. I would suggest that if you are really interested in making apple core beads, purchase the tutorial and the author will answer any additional questions you may have.

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-05-20, 9:54am

Ok, I think you're right. Apologize for my indiscretion.
Cansu
Old 2010-05-20, 9:57am
da General

No worries, Cansu. I see that you are new to our forum, thus giving such unsolicited advice. Welcome!

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-05-20, 10:08am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

This is just my .02....

I keep seeing people (no offense to you Cansu, it's been a LOT
of people) that will spend hours and hours of valuable time,
waste TONS of glass (and tons of electricity on their kiln) trying
to figure out to make a bead rather than spend the $10 or $20
on a tutorial.

For me, my personal time is more valuable than $2 an hour
and my glass is limited in supply. It actually IS more cost
effective to just purchase a tutorial, LEARN how to do it right,
and benefit from the knowledge.

Honestly, if you take the first 5 beads you make and sell
them on ebay, you'll make up the cost of most tutorials
in a heartbeat (just don't forget to put some spin on the
original design to make it your OWN!).

Again, just my two cents....it's good money spent (and
it also is a pretty good tax write-off too...).

Carry on.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2010-05-20, 10:30am
Critter Mom

Looks like you'll need to contact the artist and ask her to update her Etsy listing so you can purchase a copy because it's showing sold-out right now. Good luck with this Cansu and welcome to LE.

Old 2010-05-20, 10:53am
Who me?

Jim Smircich originally did the apple core bead and he gives a clue here:

http://www.smircich.com/html/separation_line.html

The little booklet by Jim Kervin on Smircich's techniques show how he does the apple cores - his are bicones but the idea is the same.
Old 2010-05-20, 11:05am
It's all about the color.

She has one here:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/45464199...esign-starting

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2010-05-20, 12:57pm

Karen, I understand what you said, you are right about respecting to labours but as Heyley said, I'm new in that forum and discussion about any technique doesn't seemed me queer. I don't want someone to explain every detail about the tech. just want to share opinions about the appearance of the bead.
Old 2010-05-20, 1:10pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I wonder exactly what the etiquette is when the person that wrote the tutorial was not the first, and is not the only, person making that bead?

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-05-20, 1:14pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
I wonder exactly what the etiquette is when the person that wrote the tutorial was not the first, and is not the only, person making that bead?
word.

Old 2010-05-20, 1:24pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Word * 2

I was taught this bead by Jim Smircich. It's explained in the booklet by Jim Kervin. I believe Frantz carries the booklets for somewhere around $12.00.

Writing a tutorial does not give a person ownership of a technique. I think this has already been discussed ad nauseum elsewhere on this forum.

Old 2010-05-20, 1:25pm
Rose colored glasses…√

I have both of Jim Smircich's videos, and I do attribute the apple core bead to him.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2010-05-20, 1:55pm
Give to receive...simple.

Smile

This is where I first learned it too, from Jim's DVD...

Sometimes a person does a variation of a tecnique and so writes a nice tutorial for those who want to experiment or learn ... It's good too..

There is always room for kindness I say...
Cheers all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissij View Post
I have both of Jim Smircich's videos, and I do attribute the apple core bead to him.

Old 2010-05-20, 1:55pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissij View Post
I do too! As far as I can tell he did originate the technique but that's only as far as I can tell

Last edited by MaryBeth; 2010-05-20 at 2:13pm.
Old 2010-05-20, 2:59pm
Glass-aholic

I know I am hijacking to drop my 2 centzz, but im gonna anyways...

there is more than one way to skin a chicken! I know personally, that when techniques were openly shared without monetary value, that I AND OTHERS usually had a different way of doing the same thing, and the open discussion about it made it better overall, and people learned more knowing what others did, and incorporating them to the original 'posting', I use the term posting loosely, just because they were the first to publish of sorts does not mean that they are tho ONLY one on earth that ever did that. They just took the time to put it into words and sometimes pictures, yes valuable, but to not speak of them is rude. If a person has not bought or seen a tutorial on a bead type why should there be limitations about talking about such techniques, we did not write the tut, but DID the work, or have an idea and are willing to share! IF said person HAS used the tutorial I can see it RUDE and a form of plagiarism in fact to discuss the details with out citation, but like all books, information about the book "e" or otherwise should be allowed to be discussed. Its not like anyone calls Cindy Jenkins when they need help making a bi-cone. we are just talking a bit more work here. If you make a publication expect it to be shared. It not like we have Forums for each tutorial out there, entry subject to proof of purchase only.. so basically WTF.

OK done with the rant... sorry again to hijack. I just think we should be able to talk freely about all things glass.

oh and yes I have made a bead or 2 like this, trying to achieve an effect similar (filled it in my brain, and moved on), but today is the first time I have ever seen or heard about the tut or the bead itself, other than the one I made.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2010-05-20 at 3:01pm.
Old 2010-05-20, 5:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
word.
and Amen. She just documented the technique, not 'invented" it. I have been doing some versions of this for years, ever since I did an Apple Festival show in Pennsylvania. Hers are sweet though!!

leebeads.etsy.com, leebeads.artfire.com
Old 2010-05-20, 5:12pm

I have said this before...alot, but I will say it again. The custom of holding all techs close to the vest is ancient in the Lampworking community...but it ended...it ENDED about 20-25 years ago, which is why ANY of us know what we know. Geez.

Old 2010-05-20, 5:21pm
Oooooh Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
I just think we should be able to talk freely about all things glass.
I remember the days when beadmakers shared freely. That's how most of us learned.

I wrote a book on wireworking techniques for beadmakers. In it, I made no claims on owning the techniques. I just put the techniques in a concise manner to make it easy for beginners. While writing the book, I fully knew that there were lots of books out there and quite a bit of info on the net on the subject. But, even though I wrote the book and spent money to have it published, I willingly share info when asked, and still the book sells well. So, lets get back to our sharing ways. People that want concise instructions and pictures to go with it, will buy the tutorials. But a lot of us just like to share techniques, especially techniques that we don't own.

Okay, I'M done rambling. let's share.

Old 2010-05-20, 5:22pm
Borovangelist

Well, now that we've gotten that out of the way, and I can honestly say I haven't seen Jim's videos or read Liliana's tutorial, here's how I seem to recall it being done, and I haven't tried it in a couple of years, and I'm aging, so follow me at your own risk.

Make a tube bead of your base color

Build up the ends a bit with the color you want there.

Make a thin disk in the center around it (perpendicular) with clear or transparent

Melt it in and as the disk melts down it should push out the base color too.

Like I said though, it's been a few years since I last did one (and correctly for that matter), so good luck

edit: Oh, and it was shown to me in a generic bead making class.

|
|
Old 2010-05-20, 5:29pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by cansu View Post
Is there anyone has an idea about how to make Liliana's Apple core bead?
I'm very curious about it :S
My reply to Cansu's question was based completely on her original post. She wanted to know how to make "Liliana's Apple core bead" and since Liliana had written a tutorial on how to make her Apple Core Bead, I suggested that she purchased the tutorial from Liliana.

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-05-20, 5:32pm
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
My reply to Cansu's question was based completely on her original post. She wanted to know how to make "Liliana's Apple core bead" and since Liliana had written a tutorial on how to make her Apple Core Bead, I suggested that she purchased the tutorial from Liliana.
Yup, and as for how to make that exact bead, no idea...looks like a twisty is involved and the 104 palette's not my thing. For that, buy the tutorial, $20 is pretty reasonable.

|
|

Last edited by menty666; 2010-05-20 at 5:33pm. Reason: That was weird...too many messages quoted
Old 2010-05-20, 6:03pm

Tom,

yup, that's about right. I used dark ivory for the core, so the apple would look like it had been around a while and i knifed in some "bite marks" and black seeds, but that's the general idea...Good luck Cansu!!

Old 2010-05-20, 6:25pm
Super Duper

Make a diskish bead of opaque, poke holes around its circumference and cover each hole with a dot of clear. Melt in, and then put another wrap or two of more clear on top of the disk. Melt into a bead, add caps of opaque if you want.

Very vague guess as I have never made, seen, or attempted to make an apple core bead.
Old 2010-05-21, 2:55am

I tried same as you said but in the middle of the bead looks fat after put dots on cells and put clear over on each cell.
Actually I'm curious about how can she makes the cells looked splayed and center of the bead looks thin as in the picture?

cansu