LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-01-01, 5:44pm

Default Silver Lake? is there a frit named this??

isnt there a frit named Silver lake that is white? I cant find my jar of it and i want to use it now, so of course it is gone, is that the name?
it has a quality similar to edp kind of only white?
Junie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-01-01, 6:02pm
Glass-aholic

It's probably got silver clear kulger in it to get that effect. I do remember a Frit named this a while ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-01-01, 6:04pm

It's one of Val Cox's frits. I love it.

Available as an audiobook

Susan Hasler--torch-wielding novelist
Old 2012-01-01, 6:07pm
Glass-aholic

Just saw the other thread glad you got an answer

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-01-01, 6:33pm

thanks for your help, and i did find a jar with That Frit Girl.....always so appreciative of anyone lending a hand...
junie

Old 2012-01-04, 8:22pm

I believe someone said, in another thread, that this glass was one of the Zimmerman whites. If that is the case it would be a good idea to hoard what you have of it...

Andrea
Old 2012-01-05, 7:30pm
They see me rollin'...

Yes, I think I figured out one time that it was Z-93...or was it Z-73?? Durn memory!

It's not silver clear Kugler...it looks like opaque white, but turns kind of translucent when put on a bead and turns blue and does some neat funky things.

edit: it's Zimmerman dense white, Z-74. I was pretty close! Val Cox named it silver lake.

I believe Kevan had a bunch of it for sale at one time, if anyone else wants any!

HTH, -Patti

-Patti

Last edited by Magicfire; 2012-01-05 at 7:37pm.
Old 2012-01-05, 7:44pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Kevan sold it all to Mike and Pam...

Old 2012-01-06, 2:52pm

Oh Junie, like edp in white?
That sounds like Morettti smalto to me. It's the white they use for Murrini. Very dense but devites like hell when reheated not hot enough. But it's so lovely!

We have just one vendor in Germany that has it in stock, so it might be difficult to find it somewhere.

Kathrin

Last edited by philomena; 2012-01-06 at 2:54pm.
Old 2012-01-07, 2:15pm
They see me rollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-mom View Post
Kevan sold it all to Mike and Pam...
Ah, sorry!

Maybe ask in the garage sale?

-Patti
Old 2012-01-07, 2:54pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Z-74 = Silver Lake

Vivian

-

Old 2012-01-07, 3:13pm
It's all about the color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivianLampwork View Post
Z-74 = Silver Lake
Not quite, but almost. Technically, Silver Lake was a blend. Z-74 was the primary color with very little secondary color, but it was still a blend.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2012-01-07, 4:15pm

I asked Val Cox directly & she verified it was the same. There was a thread where she actually posted it but I can't find it right now. If you send her a message, she will verify what I'm saying. There's only one color in the Silver Lake. Z-74 sometimes looks lighter or more like moonstone. It sort of varies like the Z-99 does. I have several jars of Silver Lake & lots of Z-74 & they're identical. I was using both & realized they were the same glass, which is why I asked Val about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listenup View Post
Not quite, but almost. Technically, Silver Lake was a blend. Z-74 was the primary color with very little secondary color, but it was still a blend.

Vivian

-

Last edited by VivianLampwork; 2012-01-07 at 4:31pm.
Old 2012-01-07, 5:01pm

You're right, but so am I. The same month that Silver Lake came out, I was at her home. I had tried it out and took some of my test beads up with me because I loved how it silvered up and became mirror-like in a reduction flame. We talked a bit about it (and a whole lot of other stuff) and she told me that she make it into a blend so that what happened with Raku wouldn't happen again with this (her finding a nifty something and folks buying it elsewhere). Yes, it is a blend - there are little bits of blue frit in there. The label says it's a blend and it's listed in the blends in her PDF document that he had available on her website with all of her frits on it.

Hey Val....

Snapshot of the pdf document she had

Close-up of the label

Picture of the original frit I had

And also, to some extent, all of the Zimmerman whites did the same thing - at least the three I tested did.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Last edited by Listenup; 2012-01-07 at 5:05pm.
Old 2012-01-07, 5:06pm

My Silver Lake is all white & has no blue in it. I'm just telling you what she told me when I asked about it. This was a few months ago, so maybe she changed it sometime along the way.

Vivian

-

Old 2012-01-07, 5:12pm

She must have changed it once the white's identity became known. This was quite a few years ago.

Old 2012-01-08, 8:53am

I don't know Kay. I've been buying it since it came out & never had blue in any of it. Why don't you send Val a message?

Vivian

-