LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-08-23, 1:08pm

Default Is there anyone use this tool?

Hello for all. I saw a multitool advertisement in LA, http://www.etsy.com/listing/49405685...k-multitool-by

Is there anyone use this tool. I didn't use any press or bress tool before and I'm wondering if it is proper or not?- because of it is not a precisely a press-
Despite of this it's very cheap
I can't decide, waiting your directions

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-08-23, 2:29pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

I have this tool... I havent used it much, I make fairly big beads, and all the ones you can make on this are pretty small. But that is just my own weird thing. I seem to be always wanting the biggest ones of all. I have used it so little, that I cant even say if it is good or not, I think it will help you unisize your beads, but I found it little akward to use, mainly probably cause it was my first tool like that, and I did not have any experience. And not using it much doesnt give you whole lotta experience...
Old 2010-08-23, 2:31pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

http://www.mrsite.co.uk/usersitesv24...root/page2.htm
This is though where I ordered mine, I think it is the same one. The website is in England, but the tool itself came from Poland.
Old 2010-08-23, 4:07pm
offically down under

I saw the advert on the LE sidebar for something that looks the same so I clicked on it. While it looks very impressive, I would be much more interested in it if it were in graphite. I have a couple of CG bead rollers and they are so much easier to use than the brass as the graphite doesn't grab the glass. I have a brass chunky disc press that I use the top as a roller and if there is one dot of glass too much, the whole bead is compromised.

Donna is putting out some very nice multi shaped bead rollers. Have a look http://www.cgbeads.com/beads_mixed.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-08-23, 4:22pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

I agree, my first thougt was when I used it, why didnt I realize that nobody has raved about this tool. It is not that it is bad, it just works way better on graphite. I love beadrollers, and defenitely get one of the mixed shapes to try, and you are way better off.
Old 2010-08-23, 6:50pm
BeadsonCypress

I like mine, but I had to take it to my grinder and polish (wire wheel) the edges that were so sharp they kept cutting my bead release!

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2010-08-23, 7:10pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

See... I knew that I didnt get along with it so well, just cause I wasnt used to it, and the sizes were kinda small for me. I am glad someone has good experiences with it, maybe I will get more use out of it now after some encouragement.
Old 2010-08-23, 7:40pm
And silence is golden

That is one tool that I have had my eye on too. I've been wondering if anyone has some pictures of their results.
Old 2010-08-24, 2:46am

hmmm. Really I didn't notice the bead sizes. They look very small:S
Is there something anyone suggest??? It should have reasonable price and also has bigger molds. Esp. 3 or 4 different shape on it

Old 2010-08-24, 2:46am

I have one of these that I got second-hand. I haven't used it a whole lot because you have to use 1.6mm (1/16"?) mandrels with it and I prefer 2mm. I got ok results with it though, you just have to be really careful not to put too much glass in and it needs a bit of practice to keep both the ends nice. I got one good end and one very slightly pointy one on my first test of the shapes, but I definitely need more practice!

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-08-24, 3:01am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

My biggest problem with this tool is me! I am way too impatient, and like tool to be easy right now! If it isnt easy, I dont even give it a second chance, which any tool would deserve. This is probably a great tool in someones hands who took the time to take it easy and not wanting a set of disks right now! Plus I chose one of my very difficult canes to do this with, sky blue opalino, wich turned into blackish thingie... did not really high light the fact that I did manage to get a bead, even though with little pointy end on one side... wonder how that happened
Old 2010-08-24, 7:35am

I have the tool. The cavities were much smaller then I expected. Too small with the way I work. The smallest is even too small for an earring bead.
I have used it and it would be much nicer in graphite. It works fine but it is challenging in brass because of the sticking issues.
I like the medium and largest size for each shape.
There is a big jump between the medium and large. I wish there was a size between these two sizes and the smallest size was skipped.

The smallest sizes cools the bead too quickly so you must work fast. I like to use this tool as a measurment for lentils and other presses. I use the medium size to work off of as the base bead and then add decoration and press. It works great for nailing the size perfectly for other presses.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2010-08-24, 8:49am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasi View Post
I like to use this tool as a measurment for lentils and other presses. I use the medium size to work off of as the base bead and then add decoration and press. It works great for nailing the size perfectly for other presses.
Thanks for the tip!